They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Palace of Fine Arts

Talk about the "World's Most Versatile Camera™" here.

Palace of Fine Arts

Postby sidd finch » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:13 pm

...Another day-cation adventure, this time off to San Francisco to see the Palace of Fine Arts. Simply a gorgeous place to hang out. Originally made for the 1915 Pan-America fair to celebrate the completion of the Panama Canal and celebrate the rebirth of San Francisco after the great earthquake.

This time I used a Neutral Density filter on my GoPro and it helped to cut some of the yellowish looking video.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Palace of Fine Arts

Postby Peru » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:46 pm

Nicely done, Sidd. ::CLAP:
One suggestion, if I may: Change the gradient wipe to a cross dissolve like the other transitions.
Peru

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:40 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed this visit to the palace Sidd. I'd love to visit someday. I have to mention, though, that I'm beginning to find the GoPro distortion to be somewhat unpleasant. It's not such a big thing in an aerial view from a drone, but I don't care for it in projects like this. No offense meant Sidd.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby momoffduty » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:07 pm

Very nice filming Sidd! The ND filter looked good for midday...guessing on the midday. What a beautiful structure. I didn't realize the scale until about mid way through the video and saw the tiny people. Where you in the water with the swans???
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:55 am

Thank you.

Change the gradient wipe to a cross dissolve
...Done Peru

GoPro distortion to be somewhat unpleasant
...No offense taken Dave. I agree that it can be weird to look at. I think the GP is designed for a more up close in your face kind of shots and me using it for landscapes is not what the cameras intent. I have tried to use the lens adjustment in Premiere to negate the effect but it seems to crop too much of the video.

Where you in the water with the swans???
...Mom I was the ugly duckling hiding in the bushes... :)

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Ron Hunter » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:29 pm

I love the idea of the "day-cation" captured on the GoPro! Being able to quickly turn around a nice project is rewarding. And projects like this are great for people, like me, who will likely never get to see those places.

Does your GP not offer wide/medium/narrow FOVs?

Do you shoot in 2.7k? What frame rate? Just curious in case I upgrade my GP.

The only issue I had with the video was the speed of rotation as the camera pans around early in the video, I wish it could have been a tad slower. Other than that I loved it! :tup:
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chris B » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:34 pm

GoPro distortion to be somewhat unpleasant

...No offense taken Dave. I agree that it can be weird to look at. I think the GP is designed for a more up close in your face kind of shots and me using it for landscapes is not what the cameras intent. I have tried to use the lens adjustment in Premiere to negate the effect but it seems to crop too much of the video.

The gopro software available from their website has tools to remove/correct/mitigate the distortion. I've only used it on seascapes but it seemed to do the job quite well - might be worth a look.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby sidd finch » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:35 pm

Thanks Ron. I try to make them quick so I do not have backlog of project which can be discouraging. In a sense they are kind of my own 2 minute project. I shoot in 1080P 60fps in wide mode. I will need to try the GP software to see if I can remove some of that curve like Chris suggested.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:27 am

I think the wide view added artistic interest to the video. I shoot both wide and narrow depending on the subject/intent.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:20 pm

I like to shoot in the wide mode as I am always guessing that I placed my camera in the correct position. When we make these day trips I am usually scrambling to get the shot, keep up with the group, and not be in someone else's way, or have them feel uncomfortable that I am "videotaping" them. wow that is a lot :)

I found the following video on Vimeo (not one of mine) that shows the location from a quad copter perspective. Golden Gate Bridge is to the left and Alcatraz is to the right in the shot.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:57 pm

The aerial view puts adds a perspective to the palace. Sidd, shooting blind is hard and going with the wide does help. Do you have the BacPac? I love mine so no 2nd guessing. Good to set up for timelapse too. I didn't take it into the pool or ocean so had to shoot blind there.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:24 pm

I do not have the Bac-Pac. I use my smart phone and turn on the wireless so I use the smartphone to frame the shots. I need to look for a smartphone clip so I can connect that to the monopod.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:20 pm

I have the GoPro app on my phone too, but there is a delay of a second or two. My stuff is mostly hand held so the BacPac is very handy.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Return to GoPro Cameras