They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Pidgeon Point Lighthouse

Talk about the "World's Most Versatile Camera™" here.

Pidgeon Point Lighthouse

Postby sidd finch » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:31 am

In my quest to become the Rick Steves of Day-cation's I submit my latest opus. A trip to the ocean to see the Pigeon Point Lighthouse.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Pidgeon Point Lighthouse

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:21 am

Beautifully shot and edited, Sidd! Did you do that all with a Go Pro?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:28 am

Well done. I like the choice of music.
Peru

Postby sidd finch » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:50 am

Thank you Steve. Yes all shot on my GoPro. I really like the Wide shot for scenic vistas. I use my monopod to help keep the shots steady.

Peru music is from an artist called Ayman, CD called Doorways, track called Namya's Calling.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:04 am

I really like the music too. Wow, what a view! That is a place I could sit and watch the view for hours. Nice slow motion Sidd!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:49 pm

Ahhhh....serene. I especially liked the surf breaking on the rocks in slo-mo. Nice editing Sidd. Come sail away. ::CLAP:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby _Paz_ » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:44 pm

Love it, Sidd. If I lived near there, I'd be at the Pacific coast as many days of the year as I possibly could.

Next time you visit the lighthouse, you ought to stop off for some apricot pie at Duarte's!!! Yumm!

http://www.duartestavern.com/
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron Hunter » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:48 am

I liked this video too, and the music was a great choice. It was cool that those birds cooperated and flew in towards the lens. Were any of the shots taken from the top of the lighthouse?

What GoPro settings did you use?
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:02 pm

Thank you Dave, Paz and Ron.

Apricot pie at Duarte's does sound pretty good. I am told that this cove is an excellent place to watch the migrating humpback whales. So I am sure we will be back to watch and get some pie too. :). Currently the lighthouse is being restored so it is closed for tourists. All the shots were taken from the cliffside.

I am using a GPH3B set to 1080P, 30fps, wide mode. For some reason the color looks a bit yellow to me so I tried to alter the hue to remove some yellow in post. I went out yesterday and tried a Neutral Density filter on the GoPro and it seems to have helped to reduce the yellow quite a bit. The color seems a bit richer too. I will see if I can post some of that video this week.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:02 pm

Pidgeon Point is not in very good condition and has been closed for quite a while. I hope they do continue to restore the lighthouse.

Sidd, you might consider taking a day trip to see the Point Arena Lighthouse. It's about 130 miles north of San Francisco and it is in excellent condition. It's the exact same height as the Pidgeon Point lighthouse (which makes the two of them the tallest lighthouses on the west coast) and you can still climb to the top of the tower.
Bob

Postby sidd finch » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:07 pm

Bob Point Arena Lighthouse sounds like a great idea. We were just talking when we got back about planning our next adventure and Point Arena Lighthouse sounds like a winner.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Ron Hunter » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:04 pm

It just occurred to me that this is another instance of using a GoPro as a "traditional" camcorder. There was no need to capture audio from the scene and there was no need for zooming, pulling focus, changing lenses or worrying about depth of field. Just press ONE button to record a pretty scene. And the small size of the GoPro must have made the filming experience less stressful and burdensome too.

Sometimes (lots, actually) I get hung up on the gear and its pros/cons/technical features, but at the end of the day it is all about capturing the moment and telling a story. And the easier it is to do that, the more likely you are to do it. :exc:
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:54 pm

To me Ron ease of use is paramount. I like to record discretely without getting in anyone's way and capture footage I think I will like to edit. I do loose out on DOF, lenses and zoom but it makes me try harder to capture the event.

In terms of audio, even with an external mic the GoPro leaves a bit to be desired. Because we are talking so much during the video recording process I try to mute out the ambient noise. I need to hire Steve to do my voice overs as I am not the biggest fan of my own voice.

Sidd
sidd finch

Return to GoPro Cameras