They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Cheryl...I thought of Aubrey when I made this...

Talk about the "World's Most Versatile Camera™" here.

Cheryl...I thought of Aubrey when I made this...

Postby videovillageidiot » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:32 pm

Cheryl, you promised you would be doing some GoPro stuff with Aubrey this summer...we're waiting!!

To assist your little videographer/director/talent I thought you might be interested in this contraption I made to hold the GoPro using the handlebar mount. It can be very small so "Queen" Aubrey can hold it like a “royal sceptre” or you can add some length to accomodate your height. I call it “GoPro on a stick”! You can hold the camera high or a quick twist lets you hold it low to the ground (like maybe for feet????). It’s not counterweighted so I’m not sure how steady it is. The only time I tried it out was basically a mad dash thru the yard as I was attacked by mosquitos…NOTHING would help me hold it steady under those circumstances…haha.

The idea was inspired by a discussion of PVC stabilizing rigs from last summer. As a matter of fact, I borrowed a small length of pipe and an elbow from my rig to complete this...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zov9zcTIXnA[/youtube]

I like that it can be easily broken down for convenient transport and storage.
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Cheryl...I thought of Aubrey when I made this...

Postby Peru » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:42 am

You mention that the pvc cap keeps the water out of the pipe. Wouldn't that may the pipe buoyant and harder to control? I would think that water in the pipe would have a stabilizing effect.
Peru

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:38 am

Very cool Sherrin! Having the cap on the pipe would make it buoyant. That may be a plus if you lost your grip the GoPro would float. I have a floaty handle and it was hard to control the GoPro plunging the camera into the water. The longer pipe may be easier handling than the small floaty handle.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby videovillageidiot » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:50 pm

Peru wrote:You mention that the pvc cap keeps the water out of the pipe. Wouldn't that may the pipe buoyant and harder to control? I would think that water in the pipe would have a stabilizing effect.

momoffduty wrote:Very cool Sherrin! Having the cap on the pipe would make it buoyant. That may be a plus if you lost your grip the GoPro would float. I have a floaty handle and it was hard to control the GoPro plunging the camera into the water. The longer pipe may be easier handling than the small floaty handle.

Well you guys think of everything!! =D> =D> I just thought the little cap would make it look nicer and keep the mount from slipping off if it became a little bit loosened. I also didn't like the thought of icky lake water getting in the pipe. But keeping it too buoyant never crossed my mind. Like I said, I have barely used it yet.

I do think I'll take it to Alaska...we are doing a shore excursion that involves riding in a cart pulled by sled dogs. If I don't get a front seat I can use the "stick" to still get a view of the dogs...I want great stuff of them running like crazy - not the back of the person in front of me!! haha

I'm still scared of the thought of plunging it so I didn't worry too much about the water aspect.

I need to think about this some more #-o ...I guess GoPro on a stick is not quite ready to market yet...haha

THANKS for the input!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:28 pm

Sherrin, do you have a monopod? You could get a monopod mount for the GoPro. What is nice about using the monopod is that it collapses for easy fit in a bag.

When we went sightseeing, I had the GoPro on the monopod. My canvas shopping carry around bag was medium size (or a sorta large purse size) and the tip stuck out of the bag maybe an inch when zipped. I wrapped the GoPro with a piece of bubble wrap and secured with a rubber band. Very easy to whip out and take off the wrap. I also purchased a set of microfiber cloths that you find in the car accessory aisle at the big box store. Had a couple of those in the bottom of the bag for cushion and good to wipe the camera case off too.

Sledding with dogs??? Wow, have a great trip and video please when you return!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Return to GoPro Cameras