They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Plum Blossoms

Talk about the "World's Most Versatile Camera™" here.

Plum Blossoms

Postby sidd finch » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:51 am

I was using a macro lens to get some screen grabs of our Plum tree that is starting to blossom. Always a sure sign spring is on the way (yippie)

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Plum Blossoms

Postby momoffduty » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:38 am

Love the macro shots! Nice use of the light too. Spring is almost here and can only hope.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:09 am

Sweet! Nice edit with the cuts to the music. :-5
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Ron Hunter » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:07 pm

Wow, very nice! What macro lens are you using with the GoPro? Did you color correct or was the footage that good looking straight out of the camera?
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:35 pm

Thank you. Spring is my most favorite time of year. To see the new growth and hear the birds sing it is the best.

The lens I used are 2 Opteka 37mm macro lens (bundled with a fish eye lens) There was no color correction just stills pulled from the video (1080P Narrow mode)

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:50 pm

Perfect rhythm in showing jewels :-) ...
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:30 pm

Francesco, you have the heart of a poet.
Bob

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:16 am

Sid,

This is beautiful.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:25 pm

Thank you Paz, we make Plum jam from the fruit each year and give it away as gifts to our friends. Of course I make sure I do the proper amount of taste testing to get the recepie correct.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:42 pm

I keep watching it over and over. In fact, you've inspired me to get out and take some macro photos and closeup video of my peach tree, pitiful though the blossoms are this year.

Plum jam. My FAVORITE. And then peach, then blackberry. With fresh baked bread. And unsalted butter.

Geez. Now I'm hungry.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Fri May 09, 2014 8:33 am

Sidd,

This is one of my favorite videos. I keep coming back to it for inspiration. What music did you use here?

The lens I used are 2 Opteka 37mm macro lens (bundled with a fish eye lens)

I've never seen a GoPro in person. Is the lens removable? You say 2 Opteka - does that mean you stacked two Opteka 37mm lenses on top of each other to get these shots?

Is the GoPro lens threaded?
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Fri May 09, 2014 9:00 am

Thank you for the kind words. The music is from Killertracks, called ATMOS_32_21_Magical_Phillips_1130. The lens of the GoPro is not removable.

The lens barrel of the GoPro is 25mm which is also a standard camcorder size. I just slipped a 25mm to 37mm adaptor ring (which is threaded) over the lens barrel. The macro lens is then screwed into the ring adaptor. This type of macro lens is threaded on both sides so it allows for stacking of lenses.

I will have to do an update on the tree as it now has a whole bunch of green plums growing nicely.
Sidd
sidd finch

Postby _Paz_ » Fri May 09, 2014 9:37 am

I will have to do an update on the tree as it now has a whole bunch of green plums growing nicely.

Please do! I'd love to see it. I've been taking a few pics here and there as my peaches develop. They'll be ready to eat soon. Thanks for the music info too. It is perfect in your project.

So, no threads on the GoPro. You slipped a "step up ring" over the GoPro lens, then screwed two macro lenses on. Right?

I've discovered that two of my videocams do have threads and I bought the correct size step up rings to take them to sizes where I already had a few closeup lenses. I can't say they helped much. I think they are +1, +2, and +4. Then I remembered I have had a Canon 500D closeup lens sitting on a shelf for a few decades and that did make a big difference... although I have't been able to capture translucent ant abdomens.

After that I learned something much more important. I had set my camcorder in macro mode and zoomed all the way in, where I could obtain focus at about 30" away from my flowers. What I learned later is that still in macro mode, if I was zoomed wide... I could get within an inch or two of the flowers and obtain focus while the small flowers (dewberry flowers, not peach blossoms) then filled the screen, without the need for closeup lenses. How I wish I had experimented more when the flowers were in bloom!
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:28 am

It is officially the Plum Jam season in the house of Finch. I am happy to share a virtual jar once completed. :) Last year we had approx. 12 gallons of Plum juice to make jam. All from 1 tree. This year the crop is quite a bit less but the same joy of picking processing and sharing remains.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby _Paz_ » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:48 pm

Ah, these are beautiful, Sidd! Love the juxtaposition of warm and cool colors.

It's peach harvest time here. My cousin who lives across the street has a few acres of them. The sign out front also says PLUMS are ready too. I need to go over and get some stills and video of plums on the trees. I did get some peaches on the trees last week.

Oh... bought some peaches last week too. PIE TIME!
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Next

Return to GoPro Cameras