They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Slow-Mo Swim Time

Talk about the "World's Most Versatile Camera™" here.

Re: Slow-Mo Swim Time

Postby Ron Hunter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:58 pm

Cool! Thanks for filming and posting that, it was VERY helpful. You're right, the sun isn't nearly as big a deal as I thought it was.

And you place one of those adhesive mounts on your car hood? I'd like to but I'm paranoid about the paint. Guess I'll try the vacuum mount on the dash first.

Your GoPro is on wide view (170deg), yes? What screen resolution do you prefer?
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Kent Frost » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:37 pm

I shoot at 960p @ 100fps on my Hero 3 Black. I WOULD shoot at 720p using the 120fps, but I like the square picture of the 960p setting so that I can crop it down to 720 myself later. The reason I shoot at such a high frame rate is because when the footage is sped up in Sony Vegas, the software will resample the frames (or stack the frames) to create a faux motion blur. This is what gives it that look as if I'm shooting with an extended shutter speed to allow for blur. Obviously, we don't have this control in-camera on a GoPro, so being able to shoot more frames per second will make a more tightly-packed frame stacking and thus a more believable motion blur. The attached photo shows the "stacking", or frame resampling I'm talking about. That's a stop light that was I was going underneath as I was making a left turn while shooting @ 960p 48fps on my old Hero 2, and speeding up the footage created that effect. The more frames per second your camera can shoot, the more natural that looks. Since you're using a Hero 2, I would recommend either that setting, or the 720p setting since you'll get a full 60fps, but I wouldn't shoot any lower a frame rate than those two, or the frame resampling will be noticeable.

As far as the mount on the hood. I've honestly not tried to take the mount off yet. Some time with a hair dryer will do the trick though, but it takes a decent amount of patience. In fact, I've been making it a habit to drive with my camera mounted. I was hit by someone once and got it on video. Quickest insurance check I've ever received. \:D/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dell Studio XPS 8100, Intel Core i7 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 64-Bit Win7. Camera gear: 2x Canon 550D's, 1x Canon EOS 6D body, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 & 17-50mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 & 24-70mm f/2.8L, and two 420EX flashes.
Kent Frost

Postby Ron Hunter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:56 pm

Thanks! I'll try 960@48 and 720@60 and let you know how they turn out.
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Previous

Return to GoPro Cameras