They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Determine Linked and Unlinked Files

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Determine Linked and Unlinked Files

Postby Simon Silverstein » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:14 pm

The HD which holds most of my PSE files was getting filled up, so I tried deleting some I thought not linked to my Master Project. Fortunately, I only deleted a few. Because when I came back to my Master project (which contains hundreds of clips) most of the ones I deleted showed the link was broken and PSE asked where they were.

The almost-filled HD remains, and I would much like to delete some files that are not linked to my master video. In short, my question is this: Is there any way I can determine which of the many files I have are indeed linked or not linked to the Master Video I am still working on, other than sadly finding out when I open my project and find the links are gone. Thanks much for any info you might have.
Simon Silverstein

Re: Determine Linked and Unlinked Files

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:56 pm

Are you sure you mean PSE (Photoshop Elements) and not PRE (Premiere Elements)?

Unfortunately I don't know of a way to check to see if a clip is connected to a project before deleting it. Maybe someone else has an idea.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:24 am

Simon Silverstein wrote:The HD which holds most of my PSE files was getting filled up...

Video files can be very large and so will take up a lot of space. Have you thought about a second (internal or external?) HDD. That way you will have more available HDD capacity for the projects that yo are working on.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Simon Silverstein » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:14 pm

Steve, thanks. Yes, I was wrong: I do mean Premiere Elements 12, not Photoshop. Too bad there's no way to find out links/not links. The project is pretty far along. Is there any way to shift some of it and its components to another drive without losing the current links?
Simon Silverstein

Postby Simon Silverstein » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:19 pm

John: thanks for your suggestion. I do have a 2nd HD that has more space than the one with my video files. But my project is in progress, very far along, and the solution I would need would be to shift some of it and its specifically linked files to the other drive without losing the links.
Simon Silverstein

Postby Bob » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:27 pm

You might want to give the Project Archiver a try. The Project Archiver can copy the project file and all the linked assets to a new location which can be on your other drive. The files will be copied into a single folder and the new project file will be adjusted to point to the same location so you can continue to edit the project from the new location.

Choose File > Project Archiver. In the Project Archiver dialog box, select Copy Project to copy the entire project file and its assets to a new location. To specify a folder for the project, click Browse and locate the folder.
Bob

Postby Simon Silverstein » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:35 pm

Bob, the Project Archiver sounds like a stellar idea, and I could do it. One question remains: Lets say I had all my video material on drive F (Project plus assets) and then archived my Project to drive G--and then tried to delete some of the files that were originally linked to the original project on drive F, are the files on the archived project on drive G still linked to the original drive F Project?
I guess what I'm trying to do is get rid of as many superfluous video files as I can.
Simon Silverstein

Postby Bob » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:55 am

The Project Archiver makes a standalone copy. The copied files and project file on G would have no link to the files and project file on F. I'd recommend opening the project file on G to verify that the copy completed successfully and that everything is complete before deleting anything from F.
Bob

Postby Simon Silverstein » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:36 pm

Okay, so far I thought I successfully archived the project to an SD card. I then took that card, put it into another computer, opened PRE and downloaded contents of card to that computer project. But when I looked at the project, all the files were not where I put them in the original project: they seemed very haphazard. So to use them to keep working on my project would be any extremely tedious if not impossible chore. I'm just wondering: did I do something wrong? I'd like to archive the project so it has the form of the original.
Simon Silverstein

Postby Bob » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:53 am

Archive copy collects all the referenced media files and places them in a common directory. The original file directory structure is not preserved, but that should not be a problem. The project file should contain all the media references, structure, and edits that were in the original unarchived project. You should be able to edit the project as easily as the original project.

When you open the archived project file doesn't it look like the original project?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Bob

Return to PRE Version 12