They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Can't find flare in Premiere Elements 12

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Can't find flare in Premiere Elements 12

Postby Maghdalena » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:33 pm

I have a problem. I've been trying to learn how to put a flare for the introduction of the video I'm trying to put together for my husband's YouTube channel. He was talking about a black video, but I don't have that in Premiere 12, so I've been using the "Default Title" instead. I got as far as the lens flare, but when I drag it onto the video and title, the flare shows up in the "Applied Effects", but it doesn't show up on the video screen so I can see it.

What am I doing wrong? Did it install wrong? Is there some setting that I need to select so that I can see and work with the flare along with the video? If so, can somebody baby-step me through the settings?

Any help would be appreciated. I really like this program, but I need to be able to put that flare in in a reasonable time.

Thank you for your time.
Sincerely yours,
Maghdalena
Maghdalena
New User
New User

Re: Can't find flare in Premiere Elements 12

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:10 am

A title is transparent, except for the text itself, in order to allow the video to show through beneath. It just looks black until you put something below it. So there's really nothing there for your lens flare to show up on (even though PrEl will let you put one there). Black Video is available in the Panel Options under Project Assets. Please see the screen capture below. If you prefer, you can also use a Color Matte instead of Black Video, which is also found along with Black Video in New Item. I'm using Version 11, but I believe it's the same in V12.

Black-Video.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Maghdalena » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:18 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:A title is transparent, except for the text itself, in order to allow the video to show through beneath. It just looks black until you put something below it. So there's really nothing there for your lens flare to show up on (even though PrEl will let you put one there). Black Video is available in the Panel Options under Project Assets. Please see the screen capture below. If you prefer, you can also use a Color Matte instead of Black Video, which is also found along with Black Video in New Item. I'm using Version 11, but I believe it's the same in V12.

Black-Video.jpg

OK. I found the black video OK in Premiere Elements, but I'm seeing the text, but I'm not seeing my flare at all, but it's in the applied effects. How do I make the flare so I can see it? I'm kinda frustrated because Premiere Elements is a good program.

Maghdalena
Maghdalena
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:53 am

It sounds like you are you still applying the lens flare effect to the title. That won't work. You need to apply the effect to the black video.

Place the black video on track 1 and apply the lens flare effect. Place the title on track 2.
Bob

Postby Maghdalena » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:10 pm

Bob wrote:It sounds like you are you still applying the lens flare effect to the title. That won't work. You need to apply the effect to the black video.

Place the black video on track 1 and apply the lens flare effect. Place the title on track 2.

Ah, I was getting suspicions about that, meaning that won't work with the title. Just with the black video. Thanks a lot Bob for everything, and I'll give it a shot. Would you happen to know how to read the clock on the timeline by any chance. I have no clue on how to read it.

Thanks again! :)

Maghalena
Maghdalena
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:09 am

Black video is actually a still image. When you create a black video clip, the duration is the same as the default still frame duration which is 150 frames if you haven't changed it in the general preferences. If your time base is 29.97 frames per second, 150 frames will be 5.005 seconds long. If you want to change the duration of the black video once it is on the timeline, you can click and drag on the end of the clip to lengthen or shorten it.

As for the "clock", that is called the time code. It has the following format: hh;mm;ss;ff where hh is the hours, mm is the minutes, ss is the seconds, and ff is the frame number. Frame numbers are always whole numbers. For a time base of 29.97 frames per second, the frame number will range from 00 for the first frame in a second to 29 for the last frame in the second. For example, 00;00;05;00 would be the frame at 5 seconds.

You probably noticed that 29.97 fps is not exactly 30 fps. The difference amounts to about 2 frames every minute. For short durations, the difference is slight and can be ignored. For large durations, the difference can be significant. By default, Premiere Elements will use a drop-frame timecode. Drop-frame timecodes try to keep the time code accurate with respect to real elapsed time by dropping 2 frames from the time code every minute (but not every 10 minutes). Note that no frames are dropped from the video, it only applies to the time code value. Its kind of like the leap year adjustment on the calendar. If you are doing work that you need to keep track of time accurately, use the drop-frame time code option. There is also a non-drop-frame option that does not make that adjustment. With that option, the frame count is uniform, but the true elapsed time will be progressively greater than the time code value.
Bob

Return to PRE Version 12