They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Apparant shortage of memory

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Apparant shortage of memory

Postby Walter Seaton » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:31 pm

I am running PRE12 on Windows 10 PRO version 1511, 32 bit operating system, x64 based processor. From my data below you will see I have a large amount of memory. In addition I use a 16 GB "ReadyBoost". After working on a project for about 2 hours I receive a warning window telling me to become very careful because Premiere is running out of memory. What does that mean? I did not know that Premiere has any built-in memory. Is there something I must do to allow Premiere to take advantage of the built-in memory I have in my system?

Many thanks
3.70 gigahertz Intel 6-Core i7-8700K; Windows10PRO 64 bit; Board: ROG STRIX Z370-G ; 16MB RAM; Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050Ti ; 2 ViewSonic VP2365 Monitors; 2 internal SSDs 1TB each; 3 HDs: 2x2TB and 1x3TB; Camera Panasonic PV-DV953D; Sound Files .wav.
Walter Seaton
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Apparant shortage of memory

Postby Peru » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:54 pm

A 32 bit operating system will only allow an application to use a theoretical maximum of 4 GB RAM.
You will need a 64 bit OS to use more.
Peru

Postby Bob » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:53 pm

After working on a project for about 2 hours I receive a warning window telling me to become very careful because Premiere is running out of memory. What does that mean?

There are two types of low memory warning that you can get. One refers to a shortage of system memory, the other refers to a shortage of application memory. You aren't having a shortage of system memory. You're running low on application memory. Application memory is not the same thing as RAM. Application memory is also known as virtual memory. It resides on disk until it is needed and the OS transparently loads portions of it into RAM as needed.

In a 32 bit OS like you are using, an application can address 4GB of memory. However, all of that is not available for the application to use for it's own purposes. By convention, 2GB is reserved for the application's use and 2GB are reserved for use by the OS and system hardware. You are getting the warning because your application is coming close to the 2GB limit.

I don't know why your project is using that amount of application memory. You could have a complex project, or you could be encountering a memory leak. A memory leak is a bug whereby memory is allocated but not all of it is released when the application is done with it. If it is a memory leak, closing Premiere Elements will release the memory and you can begin with a clean slate again when you restart the application. But, memory usage will build up again as you use the program. If it is a memory leak, you may want to periodically save your project and restart the editor.
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:07 am

There's also the program itself. And Premiere Elements 12's warning that you're running out of memory does not necessarily indicate something that could be resolved by your hardware or your operating system. Although everything Bob and Peru say above is valid: You can only use so much RAM when you have a 32 bit operating system.

That said, Premiere Elements can trigger and out of memory warning if:
a) You need to render your timeline. Which you should do at every chance. Press Enter whenever you see the red or yellow-orange line along the top of your timeline.
b) Ensure that your photos are no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size. Using unnecessarily large photos in your project will choke it and cause it to trigger and out of memory issue.
c) Match your video specs and project settings as closely as possible. The more the program has to struggle to conform your video to your project specs, the more resources it will waste. So a lot depends on what model of camcorder your video is coming from and which project settings your project is using.

And all of that said, you're working on a 2 hour project on a 32-bit operating system. That's kind of pushing your system to its limit. It might be wiser to break your project down into half our segments, then output each segment and combine the finished pieces into a master project. One thing you DON'T want is for the program to run completely out of memory and crash and never recover!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 12