They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Error Trying to Save My Prel file to AVI

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Error Trying to Save My Prel file to AVI

Postby videolady » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:23 pm

Using Premiere Elements 12, I have made 5 smaller files to them save as avi files, bring together and burn as one. The last section which is 8 minutes long keeps giving me an unknown error right when it reaches 100%. I was able to save as a wmv and then start a new project with the wmv file but had to increase the size 220% so it filled the screen again and was able to save that as an avi. Will this be lower quality and any idea why this happened?
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Error Trying to Save My Prel file to AVI

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:52 pm

You're saying that you've got a smaller file that you're importing into Premiere Elements 12 and then outputting it as an AVI, right? Or, when you say "the last segment" are you talking about the project where you combine all of the AVIs? I'm not clear.

What is this small file you're starting with? What format is it and what model of camcorder did it come from? Do you know what resolution it is?

What operating system are you using and with which processor and how much RAM? How much free, clean, freshly defragmented space is on your hard drive?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videolady » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:12 pm

I suppose i wasn't very clear at all. I made smaller projects in PE12 mostly from photos that are prel files. I then saved them as avi's so I could bring them all together to burn as one bigger project but the last prel file kept getting an unknown error saving as an avi.

I have just realized I used a scan of the shower invitation as the background but forgot to uncheck 'Scale to Frame Size'. (This was realized when i just played back the avi file and the background was not in the same location. Maybe that was my problem?

This is also a computer I need to upgrade and haven't connected it to the Internet as it still has XP which is no longer supported.
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:06 pm

What are the resolutions of the photos you're using?

Have you ensured that your timeline has no blank video gaps in it?

Which processor and how much RAM? How much free, clean, freshly defragmented space is on your hard drive?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:45 am

videolady wrote:This is also a computer I need to upgrade and haven't connected it to the Internet as it still has XP which is no longer supported.

At a guess that makes that computer about nine or ten years old. If that is correct then I think you really should treat yourself and replace it. :-D

My analogy would be that the XP machine is rather like a thirty year old car - maybe reliable and familiar but not a patch on a modern vehicle.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:18 am

Good point, John. Plus XP could be an indication of a computer that is borderline underpowered or has limited space on the hard drive.

So let's see what info the poster provides on her system.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videolady » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:43 am

Yes, I certainly plan on getting a new computer - soon! For now, I gathered this info: Intel Core 2 6700@2.66HGX, 3.12GB RAM. On my E Drive where I keep my working files I have 347GB of free space. I ran defrag and cleaned up both the C & E drives. You reminded me about Photo Resolution and there were about 6 photos I resized. There is still one more that is used as background for some photos for about 30 seconds that needs resizing and all of this is in about a 2 minute stretch taht I am trying to save as an avi file.
So with the resizing of that one background photo yet to do, I tried saving it as an avi again before going to work and I had the same problem. I get a window saying 'Error compiling movie. Unknown Error'. As well, the program crashes and closes periodically while I am working on it. In order to finish this project (I hope I don't have issues when it's time to burn), is it ok to save this last part as a wmv file and then change that to an avi? Because I am able to do that.

Then a big reevaluation of what I need to upgrade or get a new desktop that will handle all of these photos! It seems working with video has never been an issue.
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:29 pm

Well, since you're a Premiere subscriber, I'm glad to run your project through my computer and see if I can see what's bugging it up.

I'll send you a private message and tell you how to send the files to me.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videolady » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:33 pm

Thats great! I won't be able to do so until I get home - about 5:30pm EST.
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:15 pm

Be patient. I work weekends, so it may be early next week before I can really dig into it.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videolady » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:04 pm

That's ok. I just really want to get to the bottom of it. Thank you.

In the meantime, I need something for Sunday so I will put the other avi files together that I was able to create for the other sections and use this last section's avi file that was first saved as a wmv file and THEN an avi file. Will that be ok or will 'bad things' happen when I (attempt to) burn?
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:25 pm

I was able to save as a wmv and then start a new project with the wmv file but had to increase the size 220% so it filled the screen again and was able to save that as an avi. Will this be lower quality and any idea why this happened?

If you have to increase the size 220% it will definitely lower the quality. It sounds like you picked a preset that was designed to create a smaller sized file. Take a look at the Windows Media available presets and see if there is one that would be the correct size for what you need. If you can't find one, choose the closest -- there should be an advanced settings option where you can change the size of the exported video. Use that to set the size of the wmv to be the same as your project or source material.
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:20 pm

Karen, I received your files, loading them into Premiere Elements and they spat an AVI right out. So there's nothing wrong with the program or your project. It must be something fouling up on your system for some reason.

Meantime, just as you can smooth the program's performance by reducing the size of the photos before you add them, you can also save yourself a lot of headaches by converting all music files to WAVs. Your music is all in the m4a format -- which the program can usually use with no problem but, since it's a much more highly compressed format than WAVs, it can stress your system more. And, if you're getting bugginess and having trouble outputting videos, as you are, sometimes a simple conversion, using a program like the free download Audacity, can make all the difference.

I'm going to upload the finished video KarenProject.avi to the same DropBox folder you sent me your project files in. It should be there within the hour -- which means it should arrive in plenty of time for you to use it for your Sunday show!

Hope that helps.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videolady » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:30 am

While I am trying to break this project into smaller pieces by using the Workbar Area Only to save as avi's, I am getting avi's that are much smaller on the screen. I don't know what I should be looking for to adjust. Maybe I didn't set project settings correctly? I used some video but mostly photos and I see in the Preferences, it is HDV checked. IWhen saving to avus, I have DV NTSC Standard.
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:35 am

Is this part of this discussion? This sounds like a completely separate issue.

We're glad to help you with this -- but I don't want to confuse things by working on two separate issues in the same thread.

In this thread we're working on your inability to output an AVI from your project, right?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to PRE Version 12