They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Split video clip & render each clip seperate

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Split video clip & render each clip seperate

Postby lazybowler » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:43 pm

I took a video (using a Canon T5i) of my last Bowling practice to make a training aid. It produced an hour long video of me bowling. I want the end product to be 60 Individual videos showing only the delivery and approach of each bowling attempt. To be viewed in a sport coaching application such as "Coaches Eye'"

I put the entire video on the Premiere timeline. I then split the video into the 60 video clips trimmed of unwanted footage.

This is when the problem occurred. I can not find a way to individually convert the clips on the timeline to a MP4 video. It would be nice if this could be gang processed. I am using "Premiere Elements 12".

Does anyone know how to do this or where I could find out how to do this? If "Premiere Elements 12" is not the right application can a better (inexpensive) application be suggested?

Thank You

Karl
lazybowler
New User
New User

Re: Split video clip & render each clip seperate

Postby sidd finch » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:20 pm

Welcome to muvipix a great place to get answers.

Are you looking to have your final output 1 hour long video clip, or 60 one minute individual video clips? The output process (called rendering) converts the clips to the desired format. In this case you have chosen MPEG4. If you could provide a bit more insight we can help you through.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby lazybowler » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:34 pm

Thanks for the reply Sidd.

I am looking for the final output to be 60 ten second individual clips. I would select a single clip and view/analyze it in the sports viewer application.
Since submitting the original post, I have discovered that I can set the "Work Area Bar" to include one clip and choose to publish only that work area. This allows me to publish each clip separately.
Then I discovered the "Clip Monitor". That will split clips and return them to the "Projects Assets" as "sub assets". There is also "Auto Analyzer" to split clips. I haven't tested these last two tools but they may reduce the effort required also.

Things are looking much better than when I first posted. If there are any other tricks/tools that might help automate the process, I would be most appreciative.

Thank You Again
Karl
lazybowler
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:15 am

The Work Area Bar is the way to go, Karl, if you've got a long movie and you want to output it as a series of short movies.

I wish I could tell you that there was an automatic way to just set the program to batch output little short movies, but there isn't. But, using the Work Area Bar and then checking the option in each Publish & Share, you can designate and output each short segment.

Which Publish & Share option you use depends on what you plan to do with the movies once you output them. Let us know if you plan to post them to YouTube or output a DVD or BluRay or watch them on your computer, etc. and we'll be glad to guide you through the process of choosing the best output specs.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:34 am

sidd finch wrote:The output process (called rendering) converts the clips to the desired format.

Sidd,

While rendering is the proper term for exporting in After Effects, isn't rendering in Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro preparing the timeline for smooth playback?
Isn't sharing the output term in Premiere Elements and exporting the term in Premiere Pro?
Peru

Postby lazybowler » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:21 am

Thanks Steve

The "Work Area Bar" works well. After doing the process 60 times I got fairly quick at it. :-D I also decided that I would be more selective while choosing the segments that I needed. (only about 10 of the sixty were of any value.)

I have experimented with wav and mp4 output formats. Both seem to work well with the mp4 having better resolution and requiring more space. I plan on viewing/analyzing these in a sport analysis app such as "Coach's Eye" or "Hudl". I will also share these with my coach's using MS "One Cloud". One of my coaches uses a mac and I-Pad.

I am a complete Newby to video editing. I purchased "Premiere Elements 12" and your "The Muvipix.com Guide to Adobe... " a while back and never did anything with it. I am now finding the learning curve kind of steep, but the challenge is both enjoyable and frustrating. I appreciate the advice that you and Sidd have provided.

Karl
lazybowler
New User
New User

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:30 am

Welcome Karl! :wcm: You've come to the right place.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:29 pm

Meantime, don't forget to check out our wealth of Premiere Elements tutorials -- including our free 8 part Basic Training series!
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:16 pm

While rendering is the proper term for exporting in After Effects, isn't rendering in Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro preparing the timeline for smooth playback? Isn't sharing the output term in Premiere Elements and exporting the term in Premiere Pro?

Rendering is the process of combining all the tracks, layers, applied effects, etc. into a single composite image. Videos are rendered frame by frame. Encoding is the process of applying a codec to compress the video. So, to export a movie you both render and encode it. We'll come back to this in a moment when we talk about exporting from Premiere Pro and After Effects.

To view the video in the monitor window while editing, you also need to render the video. If the computer is fast enough and has enough resources to do so, it can render and play at speed. If the computer can't keep up, the video playback can hesitate or jump. To provide for smoother playback while editing, Premiere can create temporary preview files. These preview files are rendered and then encoded with a codec that is compatible with the project settings and which is easy to decode and play back. This process is also called rendering and is what happens when you press enter to render in Premiere.

Exporting is the process of outputting the edited project to the desired finished format. Premiere Elements calls this "Sharing". Premiere Pro and After Effects call it exporting and there is an export option in the File menu for this. The most commonly used export option in After Effects is "Add to Render Queue" and there is a keyboard shortcut (ctrl+M) to do that directly. The render queue in After Effects works similar to the Media Encoder that comes with Premiere Pro. When you queue something and start the queue, the rendering and encoding processes are separate. If you specify more than one encoding option it will render once and then encode each output format.
Bob

Postby Peru » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:57 pm

How does that song go, Bob?

"I can see clearly now..." \:D/
Peru

Return to PRE Version 12