They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Puting PRE12 & PSE12 on 2nd Internal Hard Drive

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Puting PRE12 & PSE12 on 2nd Internal Hard Drive

Postby kenskopp » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:41 pm

Hi Steve, Need your advice. My Old computer hard drive crashed. I bought a new internal drive for it. I have not restored anything to this internal drive. I have purchased a new computer from HP. It is an Envy 700xt with Intel i7 processor with a 1T byte internal drive. I had Adobe PRE12 & PSE12 on the c: drive of my current computer. My Seagate Backup program backs up all my c: drive folders to a 3T byte external drive. I have used Organizer's backup program to back up my catalogs on a separate 1T byte external drive.
My question is this: When my new computer comes next week, I am going to take the internal drive from the computer I am using now and have it as a secondary internal drive in the new computer. As you have suggested I want to use the second 1T internal drive exclusively for Adobe PRE12 & PSE12. I will have my picture file folders and video folders all on the secondary drive. My question is how do I install PRE12 & Pse12 on the secondary drive in my new computer, restore my pictures and videos file to the new computer and restore my catalogs on the new computer and have everything connected properly. How can I place all the Adobe files, picture and videos files on the new internal hard drive and connect my backed up catalogs to it?

Additional question how can I attach my computer specs to a post so I don't have to retype them every time.
My new computer specs are HP Envy xt-Win 7, Windows 7 Pro 64, Intel Core i7-4770 quad-core (3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache), 8GB DDR3-1600MHz [1 DIMM ], 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT720 [DVI, HDMI, DVI to VGA Dongle], 2 1TB7200 RPM SATA Hard Drives, 16GB mSATA SSD Cache.

Steve, I don't understand have of the specs I just wrote down. I have a friend who is an IT consultant to five hospitals and he told me this is what I should get in my computer to make DVDs with PRE12 for my grandchildren. Any help you can prove that would help so I don't have to recreate my catalogs form scratch will be appreciated.

Thanks again for all your help and support. Ken Skopp
Intel Core i7-4770 (3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache), Windows 10, One 1TB internal SSD drive (C) and 1 3TB internal drive (E), 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT720, 16GB DDR3-1600MHz, 16GB mSATA SSD Cache, Two External Hard Drives: 3TB (K) and 1TB (H).
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Puting PRE12 & PSE12 on 2nd Internal Hard Drive

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:44 am

That's a terrific computer you just bought, Ken! it should serve you very well for video editing.

To include your computer specs in every post, just add it as your signature. To do that, click on the User Control Panel link near the top of this forum. In the User Control Panel, click the Profile tab and then select the Edit Signature link. Whatever you type as your Signature will appear at the bottom of every post you add.

As for setting up your system with two hard drives, install ALL of your programs (including Premiere Elements and Photo Elements) on your main C drive. It's only your video and video projects that you'll want to put on your second hard drive.

Once you've installed the programs on your C drive, use the Organizer to open the backup file on your external drive and tell the Organizer to restore that back to your internal second drive. (I've never done this, so others may have more specific device.)

It's going to take a while for the program to copy all of the files over to your computer -- so expect it to run at least overnight (depending on how much stuff you have). If you use the Organizer for this process, it should maintain all of the links to the files, tags, albums, etc., as it copies the files.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:42 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote: others may have more specific device [sic]

I don't have the 12 bundle, but with the 7 bundle here is how I maintain a backup of my PSE7 Organizer and all the files that it links to:

Install the program on the C drive

Create the catalog on an external drive that also contains all the images that the catalog links to

Use SmartSyncPro to back up that entire external drive to a second identical external drive

If the original external drive crashes, double-click the catalog icon on the second external drive and -- presto! -- instantly open the catalog as if nothing awry had happened

BTW:

I have several external drives, each with a PSE7 catalog of the files that are on that drive -- plus at least one backup of each

Whenever I wish to view the contents of a particular drive, I do not accomplish that by opening the program itself

Instead, I click on the catalog icon that is on that particular drive.

Bonus of this method:

Lets' assume it's not your external drive but your entire Win 7 machine (motherboard, etc.) and/or C drive that crashes

Install the PSE7 program on another machine or on a new C drive on the existing machine and --voila!-- instantly open the catalog and files by clicking on the catalog icon on one of the external drives.

Second bonus:

Let's assume one has several identical machines with the PSE7 Organizer installed at several different studio locations

Merely carry from one location to the other the necessary external drives -- and open them at once by clicking on their catalog icons by mounting them on the machines at the several different locations.

:CS:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby kenskopp » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:23 am

Thank you Steve and George. I will be getting my new computer Thursday from HP. I am sure I will be checking in after that. Ken
Intel Core i7-4770 (3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache), Windows 10, One 1TB internal SSD drive (C) and 1 3TB internal drive (E), 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT720, 16GB DDR3-1600MHz, 16GB mSATA SSD Cache, Two External Hard Drives: 3TB (K) and 1TB (H).
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby kenskopp » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:38 pm

Hi Steve,

I have purchased a new computer with the specs listed in my signature. I have restored all folders from an external backup drive to my C: drive. I installed PSE12 & PRE12 on my C; Drive. In Organizer, I restored my five catalogs to my second internal hard drive F: On the F: drive all my individual photo and video folders are listed alphabetically. On my C: drive all my photos and video folders are listed in the various subfolder paths I created in the "My Picture and My Video" folders. Now I have my photos and videos located in two separate places. I presume that the Organizer now only recognizes the folders in drive F: Which means I could delete the folders on the C: drive. How can I arrange the folders on the F: drive into similar subfolders as on my C: drive?

Now I can get back to my problem with "media offline" in PRE12. I believe at times I have rearranged folders through Windows Explorer instead rearranging folders through the Organizer. When I open a project in PRE12, I will get a window that says "xyz123.jpg is missing" I have attached a jpg of this. When I use that window, I believe it requires me to manually reconnect each file. I have not tried this. When I ignore this window, the project loads into PRE12. Then where the photos and video clips should be there is he red placeholder that says in many languages " Media Offline". I have attached jpg of this view. In window, what does options "offline" and "offline all" accomplish?

How do I reconnect these files without having to recreate all my projects from scratch that have this problem. I use the following work flow: I import photos and videos clips into separate photo and video folders ie. "July 2014 Grandchildren Photos", "July 2014 Grandchildren Videos". Then I create project folder in PRE12 and save all work in PRE12 to that folder. After adding Instant Movies titles and DVD Menus, I burn project to separate folder. Using Imgburn, I burn project to a DVD disc. Once I have project burned to folder I know I can delete the Project Folder.

Thank you for helping get to the point that I can take raw photos and videos and create a project with Instant Movies and DVD menu in about an hour. My dvds are running about an hour in length and 4 GBs of storage on a DVD disc.
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby kenskopp » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:40 pm

Hi Steve,

I have purchased a new computer with the specs listed in my signature. I have restored all folders from an external backup drive to my C: drive. I installed PSE12 & PRE12 on my C; Drive. In Organizer, I restored my five catalogs to my second internal hard drive F: On the F: drive all my individual photo and video folders are listed alphabetically. On my C: drive all my photos and video folders are listed in the various subfolder paths I created in the "My Picture and My Video" folders. Now I have my photos and videos located in two separate places. I presume that the Organizer now only recognizes the folders in drive F: Which means I could delete the folders on the C: drive. How can I arrange the folders on the F: drive into similar subfolders as on my C: drive?

Now I can get back to my problem with "media offline" in PRE12. I believe at times I have rearranged folders through Windows Explorer instead rearranging folders through the Organizer. When I open a project in PRE12, I will get a window that says "xyz123.jpg is missing" I have attached a jpg of this. When I use that window, I believe it requires me to manually reconnect each file. I have not tried this. When I ignore this window, the project loads into PRE12. Then where the photos and video clips should be there is he red placeholder that says in many languages " Media Offline". I have attached jpg of this view.

How do I reconnect these files without having to recreate all my projects from scratch that have this problem. I use the following work flow: I import photos and videos clips into separate photo and video folders ie. "July 2014 Grandchildren Photos", "July 2014 Grandchildren Videos". Then I create project folder in PRE12 and save all work in PRE12 to that folder. After adding Instant Movies titles and DVD Menus, I burn project to separate folder. Using Imgburn, I burn project to a DVD disc. Once I have project burned to folder I know I can delete the Project Folder.

Thank you for helping get to the point that I can take raw photos and videos and create a project with Instant Movies and DVD menu in about an hour. My dvds are running about an hour in length and 4 GBs of storage on a DVD disc.
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:46 am

When you re-connect a project with media files, the program will automatically re-connect to any other media files it needs for the project that it sees in the same directory folder.

But there's no way to automatically reconnect to media files that are in different folders. So, if you're trying to reconnect your project to still photos and videos that are scattered all over you hard drive(s), there's no way to do it other than to browse to them one at a time.

Sorry. I wish there was an easier way.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kenskopp » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:21 pm

Hello Steve and George,

I have my new computer running. Currently, I have all my photos and videos on drive C: My second internal Dive F: is empty. I have not loaded PRE12 or PSE12 yet to Drive C: My Catalog Backups are on external drive J: and my complete drive C: is backed up to external drive I: Ok in what sequence should I do things to get my catalogs and photos and videos on to drive F:? What should be on Drive C: and what should be on drive F:?

Thanks Ken Skopp
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:39 pm

I would install the Elements programs on your C drive and then use the Elements Organizer to copy my video and video projects to my F drive. You can also move your photos to the F drive too, if you'd like. Assuming your hard drives are fairly large, they won't take up significant room on your C drive -- so that part is up to you.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kenskopp » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:17 pm

Hello Steve,

I copied my photos and videos to the F: internal drive and deleted them from the C: drive. I installed PRE12 and PSE12 on my C: drive. I was able to restore my five catalogs to the F: drive. Thank you. I will be working on my PRE12 projects next. I will let you know what happens. I found the key to getting my catalogs to the F: drive was copying "My Pictures" and "My Video" folders to the F: drive and deleting them from the C: drive before I reinstalled PRE12 and PSE12.
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:30 am

Glad to hear the copy-over went well, Ken.

Just one thing to be careful with. You say you've moved your My Pictures and My Video libraries to your F drive? if you do that, you should probably also tell Windows that these libraries are on your F drive.

To redirect Windows to these new library locations, open Windows Explorer or Computer and then go to the Libraries folder. In the Libraries folder, right-click on Pictures and on Video and select Properties. In each one's Properties panel, click the Include a Folder button and then browse to and select the new location for your Pictures and Video files on your F drive.

Once you do this, clicking on the Videos or Pictures Library will link you to these F drive locations.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kenskopp » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:27 am

Thanks Steve, I have changed Library locations. Have a safe and sound Happy New Years Eve and Day. I will check back in when I start working my projects in PRE12.
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:22 pm

Buon capodanno, Ken!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kenskopp » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:35 pm

Hi Steve, I have my computer set up with PRE12 & PSE12 on "C" drive and all my media on internal "F" drive. When I opened project with PRE12 the project has "Media Placeholders" for my photos and videos. There is no Instant Movie around my photos and no DVD Menu. I have tried to reconnect media by selecting videos in project assets and doing "edit" "lost Media" selecting video clip. When I did one video clips all were connected. When I went to photo folder I had to select each photo separately. Any guidance? I am thinking it will be faster if I open a prior project, delete the photos and video clips from the project asset panel and do everything over. As soon as I get project done, I will burn it to a folder.

Your support for Adobe products is the best.
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:43 pm

Where you browse to connect one media file to your project the program should automatically reconnect all of the media it finds in that directory folder. Are all of your photo files in the same directory folder?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to PRE Version 12