They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Pre12 keeps closing

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Pre12 keeps closing

Postby videovillageidiot » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:59 pm

I have been working on a number of projects in PRE12. Some contain a variety of video file types…GoPro, MP4, and AVCHD…and a few mp3 audio files. I’ve worked on these for the last month or so and didn’t have any problems. In the last week, the program has “randomly” closed with an error stating PRE12 has stopped working. Initially, I just restarted PRE12 and reopened the project and all was fine. I’ve created avchd files and also avchd disks without any trouble.

In the last few days, the program is crashing with such frequency I can’t get anything done. While playing the timeline it crashes. If I try to make an avchd output file it crashes about halfway thru the process – and instead of creating an M2T file like it usually does, it creates an MP4 video file and a separate AC3 audio file.
Oddly, I did manage to create an avchd output file and disk eventually from a project that I had “saved as” from another "crashing" one. That new project eventually crashed the program. I tried creating a new project…no good.

Sometimes an additional error box indicates "PRE12 has encountered an error" and gives a path to the program that includes "PRE12\main\MediaCore\AudioRenderer..."

I know you will need further details – like project settings, system specifics, software versions, source media details, etc., but rather than try to guess and throw in all kinds of info, I’ll wait for the questions. I do have a screen print that includes the full path referenced in the error box (or at least as much as the error box allowed - I couldn't enlarge it).

Please know that I frequently worked on these projects late into the nite so, unfortunately, my recollection of all the details is not so great.

I appreciate any help I can get on this...THANKS!!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Pre12 keeps closing

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:08 pm

First, try launching the program while holding down the Ctrl+Alt+Shift keys on the left side of your keyboard to clear the preferences. (On a Mac, using Cmd+Alt+Shift -- but make sure its the keys on the left side of your keyboard.)

Also, do a Save As and save your project with a new name into a new, empty folder on your hard drive. Just in case there are any corrupt support files.

You should also do some maintenance on your computer. Ensure you have the latest updates. Run Disk Cleanup. Run the Defragmenter. And, for good measure, clear your browser history.

Anything more specific than that and we'll need more information. Start with your computer hardware specs, operating system and how much free space is on your hard drive. Then post the project settings your project is using (as listed under the Edit menu).
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:27 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:...and how much free space is on your hard drive...

That was my first thought, too. :(
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby videovillageidiot » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:52 pm

Steve and John - thanks so much for all those tips!! I haven't been on my computer much the last few days so I couldn't try them out yet. Actually, just after I posted my message I tried AGAIN to create a new project. I tried to recreate all that was in the problematic projects. Unbelievably, it seems to work!

I know I need to do things differently, though...Part of the problem may have been using some music in the i-tunes format...I replaced them with their mp3 version and removed the i-tunes files from the project assets but still had problems. My newest project used only the mp3 versions.

I am running PRE12 on a Vista 64-bit machine - I think that's not a good thing to do. I have a Quad core 2.33 GHz with 8 GB ram. I have a 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT610 video card.

I have created projects in 2 places...on the C Drive...documents...adobe...premiere elements...12.0 and also on an external drive. Projects in both locations have failed, though the recent "success" was on the C drive. The external drive is almost full - 49 GB of 1TB free. The video clips I am using are stored on another external drive; the music is on the C drive.

Playback of the timeline has always been extremely slow; sometimes the video freezes while the audio continues to play...i figured it's because i'm using a lot of hefty hd clips - and maybe incompatibility of the program with Vista?

And here's something i discovered...my version of quicktime is 7.6.6 - i think the latest version is 7.7.5!!!!! I haven't updated anything yet, but I'm hoping an update of that will fix some of my problems!

And I can't believe this, but, as I was tinkering with my "good" project tonite (to verify the status of my success/failure before I responded here) a message popped up from Microsoft Windows..."Adobe Media Core CS6 has stopped working". I have NEVER seen that before - I don't even know what Adobe Media Core CS6 is!! I'm at a loss - is it related to my other issues? I did a "save as" of the project into a new folder on the C drive. A few minor changes I made required rendering and when I try to do that the yellow line remains and the program suggests I render. Just now I was able to create an AVCHD file from the latest saved project

Please help again! Thanks so much!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:31 am

Can you post info on how much free space there is on the C drive? and also where the scratch file areas are set? (did you use the 'same as project' setting?)
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:19 am

> My newest project used only the mp3 versions.

Try replacing all of the MP3s with WAV files. You'll be surprised how much difference it makes the program's performance!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videovillageidiot » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:54 am

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:Can you post info on how much free space there is on the C drive? and also where the scratch file areas are set? (did you use the 'same as project' setting?)

John, my C drive has 844 GB free of 1 TB. I checked my scratch disks under project preferences and found Captured video and audio use “same as project”; video and audio previews also use “same as project”; disc encoding uses “same as project”, but media cache uses a “custom” location on the C drive…”users\myusername\appdata\roaming\Adobe\common\".

Steve Grisetti wrote:>
Try replacing all of the MP3s with WAV files. You'll be surprised how much difference it makes the program's performance!

Looks like my Audacity will be able to convert the MP3 files to WAV. I'll use that type from now on.

I still haven't tried your recommendations...once the "Adobe Media Core CS6 has stopped working" error message popped up, I have been trying to figure that out. Any ideas on that one? I haven't closed my project since I saw the message, since I don't know if I'll be able to get back in!

Thanks again for your help.
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:02 am

With that much free space on your C: system drive are you willing to try a test?

First, try a repair install of PrE. Then copy all of the media for your project into a dedicated folder on the C: drive (it will easier to remove everything from the C: drive when completed if it is all in the same place) and start the project again. Let us know how you get on.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby videovillageidiot » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:22 am

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:With that much free space on your C: system drive are you willing to try a test?

First, try a repair install of PrE. Then copy all of the media for your project into a dedicated folder on the C: drive (it will easier to remove everything from the C: drive when completed if it is all in the same place) and start the project again. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks so much for your response John...sorry I haven't responded sooner - I had more problems with my software and then got an error regarding my display driver and eventually I checked with Best Buy's Geek Squad and ended up in a 10 hour online session with them...they updated the software and confirmed i already had the latest driver, ran several scans to be sure the computer wasn't infected, etc. I have spent the last several days trying to organize my projects - they are scattered throughout my C and F drives...there are so many versions - working version, non-working version, "saved as" version, and so on. I don't even know which ones work anymore and it's now over a week since I last worked on any of them. Yuck.

Good news is that the software update and a much newer version of Quicktime may have done the trick - the Geek had me try to create a quick new project to confirm some improvement. I don't think i need to try the reinstall at this point but it's a fix i will keep in mind in case i need it.

Bad news is I seem to be having A LOT of problems with my internet and, when I've tried to come here to respond to your post, I frequently find my connection has konked out and it just spins and I get nowhere. I just spent 3+ hours with the Geeks again tonite to try to remedy that problem...it still seems to be an issue, but right now i am connected...So I am going to quickly say thanks John, before my connection locks up again!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:03 am

Well, we're glad to hear you're having at least some success, Sherrin.

As for internet connections -- remember that there are a lot of variables, most of which aren't problems on your computer. I've wasted hours trying to resolve internet connections on my system only to find the Time Warner was just having a bad day.

But, since you've already run a good Malware Bytes scan for malware, I'd focus on my browser. In fact, try a different browser (particularly if you've been using Internet Explorer). I love Google Chrome because not is it extremely fast but it's easy to check the Add Ons and Extensions to ensure something unwanted hasn't snuck aboard.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 12