They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Orientation of Photos in Instant Movie

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Orientation of Photos in Instant Movie

Postby kenskopp » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:33 pm

Hello,

I have imported an album of photos to a project in PRE12. In the project asset view some of the photos are in landscape mode when they should be upright. In the time line I used applied effects to correct the orientation of the photos. When I created an Instant Movie, the photos are still in the wrong orientation. The Instant Movie seems to pick up the orientation in the project asset view instead of the correct orientation in the timeline. The photos are in correct orientation in PSE12 Organizer. In the process of writing this question, I discovered the answer. I went to the original windows folder on my hard drive and corrected the orientation of the photos. I repopulated the Organizer Album with this updated folder. Then I edited with PRE12 and created instant movie. A miracle no photos in wrong orientation. It seems the project asset panel picks up the orientation of the photo from the windows folder on the hard disk and not the orientation in PSE12 Organizer. I had previously asked a similar question about wrong orientated photos is a slide show created in PSE10. Looking forward to your insights.
Intel Core i7-4770 (3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache), Windows 10, One 1TB internal SSD drive (C) and 1 3TB internal drive (E), 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT720, 16GB DDR3-1600MHz, 16GB mSATA SSD Cache, Two External Hard Drives: 3TB (K) and 1TB (H).
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Orientation of Photos in Instant Movie

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:48 pm

Unfortunately, the orientation of the photos in the Organizer media browser might not be the photos' true orientation. In the Organizer, you can change the view/rotation without actually changing the original file.

So it's the orientation of the original file that matters.

Try adding the photos to Premiere Elements using Add Media/From Files and Folders rather than adding them from the Organizer. When you do that, the appearance of the photos in the Premiere Elements monitor should be correct.

Although sometimes oversized photos can also do weird things. Have you ensured that all of your photos are sized to no larger than 1000x750 pixels for a standard def project/DVD or 2000x1500 for a high-def video?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kenskopp » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:58 am

Hi Steve,

Yes all photos are resized. If this info is not in your book, it should be. Your groups knowledge is so needed. I wish I had discovered your group two years sooner.
Thank you, Ken
Intel Core i7-4770 (3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache), Windows 10, One 1TB internal SSD drive (C) and 1 3TB internal drive (E), 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT720, 16GB DDR3-1600MHz, 16GB mSATA SSD Cache, Two External Hard Drives: 3TB (K) and 1TB (H).
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:14 am

Yep, much of it is in the book, Ken.

And we're just grateful for people like you who help keep this community alive!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kenskopp » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:55 pm

Steve,
I don't recall the information that photos must be in correct orientation in the windows folder. I assumed that since they where ok in the Organizer, that was sufficient. I have now checked all my windows folders to correct all photo orientation problems.
Thanks, Ken
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PRE Version 12