They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2020
Not quite sure what our site has to offer?
Check out the
Muvipix Video Tour

How to "down-convert" HD video to regular DVD

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

How to "down-convert" HD video to regular DVD

Postby boogieted » Tue May 27, 2014 1:24 pm

I'd like to re-visit this question from a post I made just over a year ago. (viewtopic.php?f=89&t=12026&p=102477#p102477)
I have HD video projects that when burned to a standard DVD become a bit "fuzzy" for lack of a better word. This is the same situation when playing the DVD back on a computer or set-top DVD player.
This was the situation a year ago in a previous version of Premiere Elements, and is still true today. During the previous discussion we were not able to come up with a satisfactory solution, so I'm asking again! Thanks!
boogieted

Re: How to "down-convert" HD video to regular DVD

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue May 27, 2014 4:18 pm

As we probably explained to you before, Ted, DVD video has only about one-sixth the resolution of high-def video -- so there is no way DVD video is ever going to look as clear and as detailed as high-def.

DVD video is also interlaced so, when viewed on a computer, it is always going to look fuzzy compared to progressive scanned high-def.

Can you please post to this forum a 480 pixel tall screen capture of a frame of your DVD (preferably being played with the VLC Media Player) and a 480 pixel tall screen capture of the same frame from your original high-def footage so that we can compare the two side by side?

We can't really have this discussion until we're comparing apples to apples, after all.
3.6 ghz i7-7700 running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit with 16 gigs RAM and a 2 terrabyte HD. Also iMac 2.6 ghz dual-core, 4 gigs of RAM, running OSX El Capitan and Boot Camp Windows 10 64-bit.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: How to "down-convert" HD video to regular DVD

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue May 27, 2014 4:31 pm

Here are my screen caps -- comparing both the original AVCHD footage with the DVD I produced from it using version 12.

There are some compression and interlacing artifacts. But, sorry, I'm not seeing any of the blurriness or loss of quality you're describing. I look forward to seeing your results.

(Also note that these aren't exactly the same frame -- which is why the girl's hair looks different in the DVD sample.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3.6 ghz i7-7700 running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit with 16 gigs RAM and a 2 terrabyte HD. Also iMac 2.6 ghz dual-core, 4 gigs of RAM, running OSX El Capitan and Boot Camp Windows 10 64-bit.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 12