They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Produced frame rate not correct

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Produced frame rate not correct

Postby Ron Hunter » Sat May 24, 2014 5:21 am

I recently took 3500 pictures for a time lapse sequence. My plan was to create both a 24fps and 30fps video so I could compare the two frame rates.

I created a new PreEl12 project, imported the photos and created a slideshow with each image duration=1frame. The timeline showed an orange bar, so I rendered it.

I exported the timeline as a 24fps M2T video and a 30fps M2T video. Within Windows Explorer the properties of each video show either 24fps or 30fps. By my calculations one of those videos should be 29sec longer than the other, but both movie files have exactly the same duration. Why?
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Produced frame rate not correct

Postby Bob » Sat May 24, 2014 5:51 am

Your project has a frame rate too. That establishes the duration of the slideshow (frames/rate=seconds). If you export at the same frame rate as the project, it's obvious that the duration of the exported video will be the same. What's not so obvious is that exporting to a different frame rate than the project will maintain the project duration and PrE can add, delete, or interpolate frames as necessary to do so.

If I were doing this, I would have sequentially numbered the stills and imported them as a sequence of numbered stills. The imported stills would be treated as a movie clip and I could specify the frame rate of the clip.
Bob

Postby Kent Frost » Sat May 24, 2014 10:03 am

Changing the frame rate of your project does not change its duration or playback speed. It adapts whatever frame rate you begin with to the frame rate you're exporting to, thereby overlaying some of your frames, or outright omitting some of them in order to fit your project into the designated frame rate when rendering.
Dell Studio XPS 8100, Intel Core i7 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 64-Bit Win7. Camera gear: 2x Canon 550D's, 1x Canon EOS 6D body, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 & 17-50mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 & 24-70mm f/2.8L, and two 420EX flashes.
Kent Frost

Postby Kent Frost » Sat May 24, 2014 10:04 am

Bob wrote:What's not so obvious is that exporting to a different frame rate than the project will maintain the project duration and PrE can add, delete, or interpolate frames as necessary to do so.

I really need to read all replies before responding. I basically just repeated this statement. LOL
Dell Studio XPS 8100, Intel Core i7 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 64-Bit Win7. Camera gear: 2x Canon 550D's, 1x Canon EOS 6D body, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 & 17-50mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 & 24-70mm f/2.8L, and two 420EX flashes.
Kent Frost

Postby Ron Hunter » Sun May 25, 2014 6:57 am

Bob wrote:What's not so obvious is that exporting to a different frame rate than the project will maintain the project duration and PrE can add, delete, or interpolate frames as necessary to do so.

Yep, I did not know that. Thanks for explaining!

Bob wrote:If I were doing this, I would have sequentially numbered the stills and imported them as a sequence of numbered stills. The imported stills would be treated as a movie clip and I could specify the frame rate of the clip.

I need help understanding what you are talking about. Here is what I did:
- Imported the folder containing the stills into PreEl12.
- Selected all stills in the folder, right-clicked and selected "Create Slideshow".
- In the corresponding "Create Slideshow" dialog box I selected 1 frame duration for each still.

Is there a better way to do this?
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun May 25, 2014 1:57 pm

Premiere Elements can import a sequence of numbered still images and treat it the same as if it were a movie clip. That is, it will appear as a single entry in the media bin and on the timeline and you can trim it and apply effects exactly the same as a movie clip. The requirements are that all the still images have to be the same type and that the name of all the files have the same number of digits and contain a sequence number. For example: file0001.jpg, file0002.jpg,..,file3500.jpg.

You don't use the organizer to import the sequence. Instead, click on Add Media and choose Files and Folders, or, from the menu, File > Add Media from > Files and Folders. That will bring up the import dialog box. Navigate to the folder containing the numbered stills and select the first image in the sequence. From Files of Type, select numbered stills. Now click Open to import the sequence. The imported clip will appear in the media bin as media type video and will have the same frame rate as the project. You can use interpret footage to change the frame rate. It will have the name of the first image, I'd recommend renaming it to something else. You can now place it on the timeline and use it like any other video clip.
Bob

Postby Ron Hunter » Tue May 27, 2014 7:20 pm

Thanks Bob! I did not know how to do that, but thanks to your tip my workflow just got faster!
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to PRE Version 12