They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Output DVD will not play

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Output DVD will not play

Postby mikecox » Sun May 18, 2014 12:03 pm

I called Samsung to ask why my BD-F5900 Blu-ray player wouldn't play the DVD's I recorded in PrE. They said it should but I would have to match up the specs on this page.

Where do I start :conf:

Michael :cool:
Pr Pro, Ps and Lr CC, Canon Cameras: 60D and 70D
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
i7-6600U CPU@2.6GHz 2.81, 16GB RAM,475 GB SSD, 211 Free
Intel HD Graphics 520, NVIDIA GeForce GPU
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Output DVD will not play

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun May 18, 2014 12:53 pm

Did you produce this disc by using Publish & Share/Disc/DVD? If so, you've produced a DVD and it will definitely play on your disc player.

But if you produced a different kind of file -- say an MOV -- and you just burned that a DVD disc, that's not a true DVD and it may not play on most disc players.

So it all depends on which Publish & Share option you choose, Mike.

If you browse the disc, what files and folders do you see on it?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mikecox » Sun May 18, 2014 2:19 pm

The recording I tested was an AVCHD disk that used m2ts format. It didn't play; even though it is on that list of extensions, as is vob.
Steve Grisetti wrote:Did you produce this disc by using Publish & Share/Disc/DVD? If so, you've produced a DVD and it will definitely play on your disc player.

After reading this I created a DVD and the files on the disk were VOB. (actually VTS_O1_1_VOB.ses)

Commercial VOB files play fine but the recording I made did not.

I have older DVD's, that I made using PrE, that played on my old DVD player but not play on my new one.

Everything I record to disk plays when put in the Disk drive of my computer.
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun May 18, 2014 5:08 pm

What files and folders do you see when you browse the disc, Mike?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mikecox » Sun May 18, 2014 7:13 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:What files and folders do you see when you browse the disc, Mike?

The thing that worries me is that my relatively new Samsung DVD player; that I purchased because my old one was consistently failing to read Blu-ray disks Netflix was sending me, will not play DVD I record in PrE.

As I've already pointed out, it will not play the ones I recorded earlier; that my old player was able to play. I don't think it's PrE, I think it's the player.

One tech support guy told me I shouldn't expect it to because it's a "piracy issue"; I told him that was ridiculous because I make all my video's from material I shot on my camera, there is no piracy issue and why would a DVD player be made that wouldn't allow people to play "home movies"? I called back and talked to someone without an accent and she told me that wasn't true but that my container and codex settings had to be adjusted to make it possible.

I'm really PO'd about this because this player was not cheap and it's all configured for wifi and streaming. How it is possible Samsung could make such a huge mistake in their design; a design that would prevent hobbyists from playing home grown DVD's. It would be like Ps saying you can create awesome images, but you can't print them out on photo paper.
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun May 18, 2014 8:42 pm

I'm not sure your tech support guy knows what he's talking about.

Your disc files look just fine. There is nothing wrong with this DVD disc. There's also no indication that your disc drive is malfunctioning. Your problem might be with your disc player software -- but we'll need more details before we can know that for sure.

Have you tried to play it in the DVD player or BluRay player hooked up to your TV? It should work just fine.

BTW, just to confirm, this is a standard DVD disc that these files are burned to, right? Not a DVD-RW or a BluRay disc.

Also, I see you have VLC Player installed on your computer and that it is set as your default DVD player. Does it auto-launch when you put the disc in your disc drive? If not, what happens if you manually start up VLC Player, select the option to Play Folder and then browse to the VIDEO-TS folder on the disc?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mikecox » Mon May 19, 2014 11:20 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:I'm not sure your tech support guy knows what he's talking about.

I'm not either, but he was very insistent!

At this point I'm not sure if I have a defective player or if he is right.

What I've decided to do, instead of work from the "refund" angle, is simply order a new player from Amazon. I'll plug the new one in and if it works I'll send to old one back, say it doesn't record home made DVD and get a refund. If it doesn't work I'll sent to new one back for a refund; for the same reason. Then I'll contact Samsung again and see if I can get them to tell me why.

Have you tried to play it in the DVD player or BluRay player hooked up to your TV? It should work just fine.

The Samsung player is hooked up to my TV.

I've just tried to play 6 DVD's I recorded in PrE previously; half actually play! I hadn't tried the ones that played before, I just took it for granted that none of them would; after I tried playing a couple of my favorite recordings and my most recent recording didn't play. So there is some a strange inconsistency going on here. I hate inconsistency; they are nearly impossible to troubleshoot!

It could be a "loose screw" in the player; as it were.

BTW, just to confirm, this is a standard DVD disc that these files are burned to, right? Not a DVD-RW or a BluRay disc.

No. I use R and RW disks; haven't tried Blu-ray. Of the disks that play one in a R the other is a RW.

Also, I see you have VLC Player installed on your computer and that it is set as your default DVD player. Does it auto-launch when you put the disc in your disc drive? If not, what happens if you manually start up VLC Player, select the option to Play Folder and then browse to the VIDEO-TS folder on the disc?

I think that's a moot point, because I don't have any trouble playing any recorded DVD's on either of my computers. All the DVD I recorded play on my computer.

btw I just recorded a clip with Power Director and it played without any problem when I put it in the Samsung :-s

So, as it stands I am not able to play recordings of my current project. But I am not able to play several other DVDs, but several others do play and they were all recorded on PrE. v11 and 12. One of the oldest recording was done on 11. One of the newest, that don't play was done on v12.
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon May 19, 2014 11:40 pm

Just a thought. What brand of DVDs are you using?
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Peru » Tue May 20, 2014 7:22 am

To expand upon what John is asking, check the player manual. Some of my players have listed specific brands and kinds of discs that will work.
Peru

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue May 20, 2014 7:24 am

Okay, I get it now. I guess I was assuming your Samsung BluRay player was your computer's disc drive. I see now that it's a standalone disc player that you've got hooked up to your TV.

That said, it sounds as though you may be trying to play RW disc (DVD-RWs, for instance) in this BluRay player.

Most DVD and BluRay disc players are incapable of playing RW discs.

Beyond that, I'd just ensure I was getting a good disc burn. The best way to do this is to burn your files from Premiere Elements to a folder on your hard drive using Publish & Share/Disc/DVD with the Folder output option. Then use the free download ImgBurn to burn the VIDEO_TS folder Premiere Elements created to a disc. Make sure you have the Verify option checked so that ImgBurn can verify your files after the disc burn. And of course never use an RW disc to output a video for your disc player.

If you do this, you'll greatly increase the odds your disc will play in pretty much any disc player. Though, as John says above, it also helps if you're using a good, stable brand, like Verbatim discs, rather than a low-grade brand like Memorex.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mikecox » Wed May 21, 2014 1:40 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:

That said, it sounds as though you may be trying to play RW disc (DVD-RWs, for instance) in this BluRay player.

Yes, but some play; the one I recorded with PD played with no problem. But according to this they should play.

Beyond that, I'd just ensure I was getting a good disc burn. The best way to do this is to burn your files from Premiere Elements to a folder on your hard drive using Publish & Share/Disc/DVD with the Folder output option. Then use the free download ImgBurn to burn the VIDEO_TS folder Premiere Elements created to a disc. Make sure you have the Verify option checked so that ImgBurn can verify your files after the disc burn. And of course never use an RW disc to output a video for your disc player.

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

I'm overwhelmed but the "download" options; I just don't want get stuck with a lot of "bloatware". But I'm not sure I need this, since I use Explorer 2 (X2) a high end propitiatory file manager with a burn option. I'll try that first. If that fails I'll try to sort out the imgburn download links.

it also helps if you're using a good, stable brand, like Verbatim discs, rather than a low-grade brand like Memorex.
I'm using Staples house brand; with none of the Logos shown in the attachment. I'll pick up some Verbatim discs today!

Steve, you have gone "above and beyond..." :TU: with this issue and I really appreciate all the time, and patient effort, you have taken to help me. I'd like to make a $50.00 donation to the forum; how would I do that?
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Wed May 21, 2014 3:40 pm

I'm overwhelmed but the "download" options;

The Imgburn download page can be confusing, especially as it has download links to other products. Look at the list of "Mirror" sites listed and locate the one labeled "provided by imgburn" -- currently that's "Mirror 7". Click it and the Imgburn download will begin. The other mirrors will take you to a download page on the mirror site and you will have to click the download link there.

When the installation program runs, read each page carefully. When I installed the update to the current version, the installer wanted to install other programs that I (and you) don't want. When it wants to install "conduit search protect", there will be an option for express that's pre-selected, don't click next. Select the custom installation option and uncheck "install conduit search and protect". You'll see a message that "leaving all boxes unchecked will not install anything", that's fine -- it only means Conduit will not be installed. Now you can click next. It then wanted to install "Pureleads". Same thing, choose custom and uncheck install pureleads. Now click next and the Imgburn installation will run. Those programs mentioned were the ones I saw when I ran the installation. I don't know if you will see the same ones. Just remember, select custom and uncheck install.
Bob

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu May 22, 2014 12:29 am

mikecox wrote:...I'm using Staples house brand...

That might (emphasis on MIGHT) be the source of some of the problems that you are having.

I have only ever used Verbatim or Tayo Yuden (sp) optical media and have had just one media failure with a Verbatim DVD. In that particular case the disc had a very obvious, visible to the naked eye, flaw.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby mikecox » Thu May 22, 2014 8:58 am

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:

That might (emphasis on MIGHT) be the source of some of the problems that you are having.

I have only ever used Verbatim or Tayo Yuden (sp) optical media and have had just one media failure with a Verbatim DVD. In that particular case the disc had a very obvious, visible to the naked eye, flaw.
Thanks for that. Conduit is a nightmare! I've had to call my IT support service to remove it when I wasn't paying attention and got installed! I'll be careful!
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby mikecox » Thu May 22, 2014 11:23 am

mikecox wrote:

Thanks for that. Conduit is a nightmare! I've had to call my IT support service to remove it when I wasn't paying attention and got installed! I'll be careful!

oops clicked the wrong reply...

Oops; that was in response to the previous post.

I dropped by Staples yesterday and discovered they only carry Memorex, and Costco was out of DVD's entirely, to I ordered them from Amazon.

I have been trying to copy a DVD that played on my old player to a new disk; thinking if I burn a new disk it might work.

I tried just copying it over to a blank disk but while the files copied and I was able to play them on my computer and on the external player on my laptop, it wouldn't play on my Samsung.

I tried using a DVD burner program from NCH but it wouldn't burn folders that contained non-video files :pull: So I couldn't use it to burn the folders to the Disk.

What I'm trying to do is burn the DVD to the two drives on my computer, and to the one on my laptop; to see if I can find just one combination that will produce a working DVD.

Finally I tried to load the vob files from that DVD; that I made using media I shot with my camera and published using PrE, but PD would not load them. I got this error.

:ha:

So I put the disk in the player and tried the Capture option, and all the files loaded into PD; well 2 out of 4 loaded; I got that error on the last 2 go figure :-s

But that's another question.

But I published what did load; and here's the kicker; wait for it...

It plays :YY:

That's the second time I have published a trial version of a project and, in both cases, it played without a problem!! Kind of shoots down the DVD brand argument; or does it?
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Next

Return to PRE Version 12