They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Best way to convert mpg files.

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Best way to convert mpg files.

Postby robbie410 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:40 pm

What is best when converting mpg files, which I cannot get into Pre12.
I have I soft Video Converter, where I can convert these files amongst others to DV OR MOV.
If there is a way to use Organiser or Pre12 fine, please advise how. If not I remember you advised Isoft Video Converter but which format please?
Robbie
PS. As mpg is digital I Suppose taking it through Canopus would be senseless. (So pleased with Canopus, great advice you gave me to buy that to convert analogue to DV)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Best way to convert mpg files.

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:33 pm

I always recommend against converting files that you plan to edit. It's rare that you end up with a more editable file than you start with.

When you say you want to convert MPEGs, Robbie, do you mean you want to convert files to MPEGs or from MPEGs -- and, if so, what are you trying to convert them to?

If this video is from a camcorder -- or even if it's not --there's no reason an MPEG shouldn't load into Premiere Elements. In fact, I'd be more concerned about addressing than that I would trying to work around it!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:16 am

Steve Hi, the video of my camcorder has file extension mpg. Medio Info tells me Video MPEG; 720x576 pixels; 25000 fps; 16:9 wide screen.
My problem is that Pre12 does not accept this file when I try to import to start a project.
If Pre12 is suppose to be able to work with MPEG then knowing how to do that is the very best and simplest way. I will try again later and if I cannot manage will come back to you
Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby robbie410 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:40 am

Steve, have found that clips taken on video camera do not readily import from the sd disk, from within Imac. However I can import them into Organiser and use any clips from there to work in Pre 12. Panic over.
Have a good day and will follow up if I have further problems
I note, for information that Mediainfo has changed its name to Media Inspector, now with a very small charge.
Note received when login on

"Very Important Information - PLEASE READ
Media Inspector (former MediaInfo Mac) has reached version 1.0 status and several changes are taking place

Effective now, Media Inspector 1.0 is not freeware anymore, and has a price of $2.99 (or €2.39 if you're in the European Union)
If you are a previous donor contact me at diego@massanti.com in order to get a 100% discount coupon to get Media Inspector completely FREE from the App Store.
If you want to buy the new version from the App Store please CLICK HERE
The application is now only available on the Mac App Store
MediaInfo Mac has been rebranded to Media Inspector in order to avoid issues with Apple's Trade Marks
You can continue using this version for as long as you want, but updates will be discontinued from now on"

Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:20 am

robbie410 wrote:Effective now, Media Inspector 1.0 is not freeware anymore...

The Windows version remains free.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:41 am

Glad you were able to find a solution to your MPEG editing, Robbie. Although, as I said, you should have no problems importing and editing MPEGs in Premiere Elements 12.

One other thing to try: Instead of getting the video directly from the SD card, plug your camcorder (with the card inside) into your computer via USB and then use Add Media/From Flip and Camera to open the Video Importer and use it to get the video from the camcorder. This will move the video from the cam to your computer and simultaneously add it to your project.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:40 am

That is a very sensible suggestion. Will try it. Many Thanks
Robbie :tup:
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PRE Version 12