They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Joining 4:3 and 16:9 Projects in One

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Joining 4:3 and 16:9 Projects in One

Postby Simon Silverstein » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:28 pm

I am working on various video and photo segments that I later expect to put into one project. Some of the video footage is older 4:3, some is more recent 16:9. The same discrepancy holds true for the photo dimensions. When I am done editing all the parts, I would like to join everything into one master project. What would be the best settings for this master? I expect to create DVD's at the end, and I'd like a clear, distortion-free result.
Simon Silverstein

Re: Joining 4:3 and 16:9 Projects in One

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:11 pm

The best project settings are whatever the main video you are editing is -- and most likely the 16:9 video.

It's hard to say exactly without knowing more about your video specs (You haven't even indicated if it's standard or high-def video), what model of camcorder the video came from and what the video's frame rate, resolution and video and audio codecs are.

Easiest solution is to make sure that your 16:9 video is the first video clip that appears on your timeline. This should automatically set up your project to match your video specs. Then you can add your 4:3 video also to your project -- although of course your 4:3 video will not fill your video frame width-wise.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:20 am

There are several ways to use 4:3 video in a 16:9 project. Two of the most popular ways are:
-Use a motion background behind the 4:3 media.
-Place a copy of the 4:3 media on a layer below, zoom in with the motion property so that it fills the 16:9 space, and add a blur to the zoomed in media.

Sometimes zooming out slightly on the original media will help if you want to have the background show on the top and bottom as well.
Peru

Postby Bob » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:06 pm

-Use a motion background behind the 4:3 media.
-Place a copy of the 4:3 media on a layer below, zoom in with the motion property so that it fills the 16:9 space, and add a blur to the zoomed in media.

I see this a lot. Keep in mind though that it may be distracting. The eye is attracted to motion and your attention may be drawn away from your main subject. Use this judiciously. Still images or solid mattes also work well and may be less distracting.
Bob

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:49 pm

I nearly always use time stretch to slow down motion backgrounds. About 25% usually works for me. I agree with Bob...a little slow background motion is sometimes okay, but a lot can take away from the subject matter.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Peru » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:32 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:I nearly always use time stretch to slow down motion backgrounds.

Me, too. I neglected to mention that.
Peru

Return to PRE Version 12