They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Editing Text in Titles

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Editing Text in Titles

Postby robbie410 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:33 am

Hello, first may I say how good the Tutorials on Titles are in Learning/Training. I have been watching "Working with Titles" 1 to 5. All very straight forward, that is until I tried to change certain aspects in editing Titles, in PRe12. First I do not seem to get the Right Hand pane, as in the tutorial up in my screen. This could be because it has changed in Pre 12. However I can get a much smaller window up to carry out some changes to colour, strike colour etc. What I have not managed to do is highlight a title, on the timeline, that I would like to change to a Style on the adjustments page. I have highlighted the Title, now in editing mode, but when I click the required style, in the drop down box,that I would like to change to, nothing happens. If I could get that right then I believe I could change the colour properties and strike weight in the small adjustment page. The right hand window in the editorial seemed to cover everything in one pane, which seems was so much easier.
Guidance, again, would be appreciated.
Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Editing Text in Titles

Postby Bob » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:25 pm

Yes, you are correct. The tutorials you mentioned were for Premiere Elements 9. The appearance of the title workspace has changed in Premiere Elements 12. There is a tutorial for Premiere Elements 11 titles that has an appearance similar to that in version 12 if that will help. Watch tutorial number 7 of 8.

Please check your installed version number. There is a bug in Premiere Elements 12 regarding changing styles that is fixed with the latest update. If you aren't at version 12.1, apply the update.
Bob

Postby robbie410 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:42 pm

Thanks Bob, will check version and look at recommended Tutoriaks 7 and 8
Robbie

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby robbie410 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:08 am

Bob, have looked at The Tutorial 7 of 8. Yes, the set up is like that on Pre12. One part, that was explained in the earlier version of Titles, for ver 9 I think, has an option to make a created title as a saved title, which would appear at the bottom of the "styles" drop down box. Is that option available on Pre 12?
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:04 am

That sounds like you are asking about creating a style preset. After you create your title and have the font, size, color etc. the way you want, you can right click on the element of the title that you want to use as a preset and select "Save Style". After the preset has been created, it will appear at the bottom of the styles panel.

Style presets only save the attributes (font, color, etc.) of the selected object, not the text. It will not save the title itself. You can save a title to a file that you can import into other projects. Open the Project Assets Panel and select the title to be saved. From the menu, select File, Export, Title. Once the title is saved, you can import it into a project using Get Media from Files and Folders.

Premiere Elements 12 does not provide for creating your own Title Templates.
Bob

Postby robbie410 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:33 pm

Bob, I created a title within a project and wanted to be able to use the settings, font, colour, etc as a default style.
Followed your guidance but did not manage to reach the "save Style" point by right clicking the "element part of the Title". What is the element part of a title?
I am using a style to start personalising the style I want. Eg change font, and colour and shadow.
Could you guide me a little further on this point ad it would save me time having to re create the required title each time I want to insert it into project
Robbie

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:57 pm

Typically, you will be creating a new style from a text item. You can have more than one text item, or object, in a title, each with it's own properties. Using the selection tool, select the text item that you want to use as the basis for the new style. Here's what the Adobe Help file says to do:

"Create a style

1.If necessary, double-click the title in the Expert view timeline to open it in the Monitor panel.
2.Select an object that has the properties you want to save as a style.
3.In the Style tab of the Adjust panel, right-click the object and choose Save Style.
4.Type a name for the style and click OK. A swatch displaying the new style appears in the Styles tab. "
Bob

Return to PRE Version 12