They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Capture settings - which are the best Display Aspect Ratios

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Capture settings - which are the best Display Aspect Ratios

Postby robbie410 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:54 pm

I am using a bridge to create mov files on Imac before working with Pre 12. (Working from Video 8, on old Cam, which does not have Firewire output.)
My dilemma is that on the settings recommended for Mac, the resultant video look is VERY SLIGHTLY squeezed. (You could say is it worth worrying about it is all old material.) The Display Aspect ration is 5:4 (360x288)
If I change the the input settings to 320x240, Display Aspect ratio is 4:3. This eliminates the very slight squeeze but the quality, sharpness, of the video is slightly less than the one using 5:4.
With Pre 12 for Mac the sharpen adjustment is not available. I would like to work with the 4:3 but which one is best for working with Pre 12.
I have completed a couple of projects already, did not realise this slight squeeze effect which is more visible on people or faces, not scenery of buildings, until progressing onto another project. As I am now using better quality raw video to capture I am not sure which route to follow.
Any suggestions?
Robert
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capture settings - which are the best Display Aspect Rat

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:25 pm

What program are you using to do the actual capture, Robbie? Those are some strange video dimensions.

If you use Premiere Elements to capture your video through that DV bridge, you should have no problems capturing editable DV-MOVs at full 720x480 dimensions.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:26 am

Hi Steve, lets try to break this down. Firstly I am using a Bridge, composite connection to Imac, because no Firewire connection out from Cam. (I know this bridge is at the lower end of the rice range.
My Cam is HandyCam Vision - Sony -model TRV24E. Very old I know, but I have to use that to get the tapes onto PC. I used Bridge UBS 2.0 Video Capture VCAP810 by Climax Digital.
With this bridge there are various settings but according to instructions I should use a setting called Half Size. That is the setting that shows 5:4. Other settings are available but do not record onto Imac. I trailed one oner, that did record, namely 320x240 ratio 4:3.
I would appreciate clarification about capturing to Pre 12? I currently connect the composite cables from Videocam to Imac, USB. Then using a included program VideoGlide I play camera and using record on the main menu, using settings set, save to a folder on my Imac. (I named the folder VideoGlide) which sequentially numbers each recording. The files saved in Videoglide are MOV's, but MPEG. I have looked at the data from the file using MediaInfo. I open Organsier and import the required clips need for the project and from there work with them onto Pre 12. Should I be saving these files into Pre 12 rather than Imac folder?
Steve my current problem is that although I am working on Pre 12 projectson my MacBook Pro, using data transferred to the MacBook Pro I am not at home. Thus cannot not immediately let you have what other settings are available on the capture settings on the Bridge or the adjustments that can be made to the output video at that stage. The Bridge is with the Imac currently.
I would appreciate, as always, your wise help but if more information is required on the Bridge settings we might have to break the conversation for a few days until I can get any information you might like, once at home again.
A very appreciative supporter
Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:24 am

Thanks for the details, Robbie.

Your first challenge is that you"re not using a true DV bridge. DV bridges always connect to your computer via FireWire. (They usually connect to your camcorder's AV jacks via RCA cables.) A great example is the Grass Valley/Canopus AVDC. With a unit like this, you will be able to Premiere Elements at 720x480.

When you're using a USB-connected bridge and its software to capture your video, you've added a whole bunch of variables. And they are no doubt the reason behind some of the issues you're experiencing.

I'm not familiar with your Climax Digital digitizer, so I unfortunately can't offer any specific guidance. Other than to pick up a Grass Valley/Canopus AVDC.

Another option is to get your hands on a Sony Digital8 camcorder. They don't make them any more but you should be able to find one fairly cheap on eBay. (I'd loan you mine, but it appears you're on the PAL system and I'm NTSC.)

Digital8 camcorders can play 8mm Sony tapes, and they can also output them, via FireWire, to your computer as a DV file.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:04 am

OK, understand. Phew, variable pricing for Canopus products!!! I think I had better bite the bullet and would rather go with Canopus, boxed product than not knowing what condition ebay Sony Digital8 camcorder might be in. You could be lucky. Anyway the price of a new Canopus 55 is only slightly more than a second hand Camcorder. There is also Canopus 110 just a little more before you go into real money. I appreciate you cannot advise but guidance would be appreciated. I am not sure what the difference is between ADVC, which they all seem to be on Amazon, as against AVDC, which you mentioned. I can find no details about AVDC, it all reverts to advertising ADVC. Then what is the difference between the 55 model to 110 model for what I need which is composite cables out and then firewire in, which I presume it is.
Being cautious therefore I would rather buy new as well there not being any second hand ones on ebay only "buy Now'
Help please if you can
Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby robbie410 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:20 am

Steve reading reviews about Canopus 55 most people are talking about VHS. It does say it takes all analogue inputs but could you confirm that it would work with Video8 Sony.
Thanks
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:16 pm

Either of those AVDC devices will work with your camcorder, Robbie. And they both should produce excellent results.

The AVDC 110 has a bi-directional video converter feature -- and I'm not sure exactly what that means. Maybe one of the others in our community knows for sure.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:34 pm

Done, ADVC 55 ordered for delivery, UK PAL settings. Not sure that composite cables are included but have those anyway. Also not sure about the 6 to 6 firewire or 6 to 4 firewire is. One cable 6 to 6 is included.
Thanks and await follow up once I get home and start to capture using Canopus 55
Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Peru » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:38 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:
The AVDC 110 has a bi-directional video converter feature -- and I'm not sure exactly what that means.

It means that is can support communication in both directions at the same time:

http://mygrassvalleyportal.force.com/gv ... earch&pn=1

It's kind of like talking on a land line phone (bidirectional) as compared to talking on a walkie talkie (not bidirectional).
Peru

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:10 pm

Thanks, Peru!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:19 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:What program are you using to do the actual capture, Robbie? Those are some strange video dimensions.

If you use Premiere Elements to capture your video through that DV bridge, you should have no problems capturing editable DV-MOVs at full 720x480 dimensions.

Hi Steve, am preparing, in my mind, how working with Canopus 55 actually picks up Pre 12 for importing. In one of your replies you said about Pre 12 capturing input. Could you explain a little how this works, or direct me in Muvipix Elements book, how to do this.
Previously I connected the cam to a pass through, which connected to PC. A program called VideoGlide, when open, opened a window in which the capture played.
Do I open Pre 12 with certain settings to use that to capture?
Looking forward to new challenge and re doing some videos already used in projects.
Thanks
Robbie

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:33 pm

I talk about using DV bridges on page 56 of the book, Robbie.

Basically it's just like capturing miniDV -- except there is not control between the camcorder and the computer, so you have to click the Capture button in Premiere Elements and then manually start playback on your camcorder.

It's also a good idea to go into the Capture panel's Device Manager and turn off things like Report Dropped Frames. Since there's no timecode on analog video, Premiere Elements sometimes panics and assumes something is wrong -- unless you tell it to disregard timecode detection.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:55 am

Hello, thank you for your last reply. I understand what you say and will take special note of turning off Report Dropped Frames in Device manager, when I find it. The Canopus 55 arrived this morning but as I do not have my camera with me I will have to wait until after the week end to try it out. I have got Pre 12 on my laptop and have found where you set settings for importing and taking note, from you answer, that I should use import from same as miniDv. So connect camera to Canopus 55, firewire to Imac, open Pre 12, import settings miniDV, (presume new window opens with viewer as to what is being imported) start camera playing, and press record on Pre 12 somewhere.
Really looking forward to using Canopus 55.
As an aside, I only have mono sound, one output plug. Should I use a split to take sound into both channels on Canopus 55?
Have a great day
Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:06 am

It might be a good idea to split your audio for both stereo tracks.

It will save you having to do it in the program later.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:15 pm

Steve, thanks a million. I have tried out the Canopus ADVC-55 today and with only one or two small,"getting use to" problems, have managed straight away to get such a better capture and trial DVD. For information, my only main setback, not expected, was that with the new iMacs, (and I know you are a Windows man,) I needed a converter connection to take the Firewire cable from the Canopus, 6 pin, to a 9 pin at the back of the Imac. Very simple obtained from Amazon £5 or so.
Then all connected OK, sound split, and unchecked report dropped frames. Result good. DV video was put straight onto timeline and I was surprised that no rendering orange line appeared. Obviously it did not need rendering. Just one small quirk, which did not affect end production, was a jagged edging, to wall edges and legs, appearing on the capture screen, with some views. This did not show when playing on Pre 12, or saving as mov to computer, or end DVD when burning a DVD. I did not really need to do any adjustments, contrast, brightness etc, to video so far.
I will not start all projects already done, again, and no doubt will need some help along the way.
So far I feel happy the have made the investment in a proper capture device.
Robbie
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Next

Return to PRE Version 12