They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

From Ps to PrE Asset; not good

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

From Ps to PrE Asset; not good

Postby mikecox » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:35 am

Why do the images I import as a assets lose their pop; and go a dull? :eek:

I could make adjustments; but I'd prefer not to have to go to all the trouble.

However, if that's the only option; can I adjust one and sync the rest; instead of tweaking them individually and risk adjustment inconsistencies?
Michael :cool:
Pr Pro, Ps and Lr CC, Canon Cameras: 60D and 70D
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
i7-6600U CPU@2.6GHz 2.81, 16GB RAM,475 GB SSD, 211 Free
Intel HD Graphics 520, NVIDIA GeForce GPU
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: From Ps to PrE Asset; not good

Postby Bob » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:59 am

I suspect your images are using Adobe RGB as the color space instead of sRBG. Premiere Elements is not color managed and will treat the images as if they were sRGB. If the image is Adobe RGB, that will cause a loss of saturation and contrast. If that's the case, you can convert from Adobe RGB to sRGB. Let's confirm that's what's happening first.

What are your Photoshop Color settings (Edit>Color Settings...)? Do you know what your color management workflow is?
Bob

Postby mikecox » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:35 pm

Bob wrote: If the image is Adobe RGB, that will cause a loss of saturation and contrast. If that's the case, you can convert from Adobe RGB to sRGB.
What are your Photoshop Color settings (Edit>Color Settings...)?
I start in Lr and finish in Ps CC

Do you know what your color management workflow is?
No
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:15 pm

It looks like LR is set to send PSD files to Photoshop CC using ProPhoto RGB which is an even bigger color space than Adobe RGB. Your Photoshop CC settings are set to keep the incoming color space, but not warn you that it is different than your working space, sRGB. The result is that the file will be saved as ProPhoto RGB which is why your saturation drops so much. Try this, open one of those psd files in Photoshop CC. From the edit menu, select Convert to Profile. The source space will be listed at the top and will likely say Prophoto RGB. Set the destination space to sRGB and press ok. Now save the file to a different name so you don't overwrite the original file. Try that and see if the saturation is now ok.
Bob

Postby mikecox » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:21 pm

Bob wrote:It looks like LR is set to send PSD files to Photoshop CC using ProPhoto RGB which is an even bigger color space than Adobe RGB. Your Photoshop CC settings are set to keep the incoming color space, but not warn you that it is different than your working space, sRGB. The result is that the file will be saved as ProPhoto RGB which is why your saturation drops so much. Try this, open one of those psd files in Photoshop CC. From the edit menu, select Convert to Profile. The source space will be listed at the top and will likely say Prophoto RGB. Set the destination space to sRGB and press ok. Now save the file to a different name so you don't overwrite the original file. Try that and see if the saturation is now ok.
BINGO :YY:

So I went into Lr and changed the color settings; then sent the images to Ps CC and checked the Convert option and they were all at sRGB! :-D

But I'm not quite sure about Bit Depth. Should i be using 8 or 16, or ?

WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:10 pm

But I'm not quite sure about Bit Depth. Should i be using 8 or 16, or ?

It depends on what you will be doing with the image in Photoshop CC. :-k

If you were using Photoshop Elements, you would need to select 8-bit as that is what the program supports. However, Photoshop CC supports both 8-bit and 16-bit. So which to choose.

First of all, there is nothing intrinsically wrong with 8-bit. JPG images are 8-bit, most printers are 8-bit, and, unless you have a high end monitor, it's likely 8-bit too. It's also the most compatible bit depth format -- almost everything will work with 8-bit depth. And, Premiere Elements is 8-bit.

Where 16-bit has an advantage is where you are going to be doing things to the image that effect tone. Because 16-bit can divide the tonal range into much finer divisions than 8-bit can, you are less likely to introduce artifacts such as banding when you apply corrections However, some Photoshop and 3rd party plugins do not support 16-bit mode and there may be other functions affected as well. Also, 16-bit mode will double the storage and take longer to process.

LR works in 16-bit mode internally. If you make your tonal corrections in LR and do other types of work in Photoshop, you can probably get by nicely selecting 8-bit. Especially if your original image was a jpg. Raw files are 16-bit files of which typically 12 or 14 bits are used to record image values depending on the specific camera used. If your originals are raw files or you intend to do more extensive tonal manipulations in Photoshop, you may want to select 16-bit to retain the finer tonal gradations a bit longer. Keep in mind that, at some point, the image will need to be interpreted as 8-bit.
Bob

Postby mikecox » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:14 pm

Raw files are 16-bit files of which typically 12 or 14 bits are used to record image values depending on the specific camera used. If your originals are raw files or you intend to do more extensive tonal manipulations in Photoshop, you may want to select 16-bit to retain the finer tonal gradations a bit longer. Keep in mind that, at some point, the image will need to be interpreted as 8-bit.

Ok, that's where I'm at. All the images I shoot with my Canon are RAW, but cell phone images are jpg. But I do a lot of HDR so probably opt for 16bit.

Thanks, that was very informative; don't feel so intimidated by this issue any more (-:
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PRE Version 12