They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Best publish settings?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Best publish settings?

Postby don731 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:33 pm

I'm done editing my new movie. It was shot completely on an iPhone 5S. I want to publish it to youtube, and was wondering the best export settings to use. I did one export using AVCHD/youtube but the result was very jerky.

Thanks!
don731

Re: Best publish settings?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:33 pm

AVCHD/YouTube is the ideal output template for YouTube, Don. So the jerkiness must be related to something happening earlier in your editing.

Have you ensured that your project properties match your video specs?

What are your video specs: resolution, frame rate, etc.?

And what are your Project Settings, as listed under the Edit menu?

You may also want to post a link to your video on YouTube. Sometimes when we see the jerkiness you describe, we can recognize the project setting that is incorrect.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby don731 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:29 pm

Here is the link:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSi2ULyCsTg[/youtube]

Thanks!
don731

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:11 am

I'm not seeing any jerkiness at all, Don. In fact, for phone video, it looks pretty darn good!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby don731 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:36 pm

Steve,

I see the jerkiness in the motion of the trains and monorails. I will check the settings.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
don731

Postby Ron Hunter » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:44 pm

Wow, that was a GREAT movie! I had no idea an iPhone could take such good video. Clearly your iPhone was on a tripod or some sort of solid platform because I saw NO jerkiness in the video at all. I liked how you used different angles to capture individual sections of the "fantasy land". I really enjoyed the music too. If that movie doesn't get someone in the holiday mood, something is wrong with them! :-D

I don't know if you were creating this video for a client, a family member, or just for yourself so I don't know if you had any specific requirements for the project. While watching the video I couldn't help but think "How would I shoot/edit this?" Here are some ideas I was thinking while watching the video. I'm not being critical so please don't take any offense. Like I said, I really like this video!!:
- start with the establishing shot, then quickly move to close ups of individual sections of the "fantasy land" and intersperse their viewing angles.
- don't let the camera linger on any one scene for too long. I aim for 5sec but never longer than 10sec. Doing this will keep the video flowing.
- reduce overall movie length to no more than 5min. I think you could do a good job showing the "fantasy land" with just one or two Christmas songs.
- change scenes to the rhythm of the music.

After watching this video, I may have to rethink using my iPhone for video purposes.
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby don731 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:16 pm

Thanks Ron! I need all the feedback I can get! The video replicates our holiday "show" which we present at our annual holiday open house. The show changes during the year to a summer theme. I'm sorry to find out that the project presets cannot be changed after the project is started...I should read every page of Steve's great book! Trying to publish now in some other formats. The jerkiness is evident in the motion of the trains, monorails and trolley. iPhone 5S was mounted on a tripod using a little metal device made for that purpose. I may try to acquire a better camera at some point....got any recommendations in the $300-500 range? Need great low light capabilities since most of my videos are of the layout show, or video I record when visiting Disneyland (for inspiration, of course!).

Cheers,
Don
don731

Postby Ron Hunter » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:32 pm

I recommend Canon Vixia HFR400 camcorder. It can record in AVCHD or in MP4 format at up to 60fps. It is very small, uses an SD card, films in HC and has lots of great features like 32x optical zoom, custom white balance and exposure, "face tracking" and other great stuff. I've had mine about 6mths and love it. I paid $300 for it last year and it has come way down since then.
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby don731 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:53 pm

Thanks Ron!

I exported a Flash version of my movie just to see if there was any improvement in the jerkiness. It was a little better, but it would seem that I goofed from the git-go in the project settings. Hate to start over again!

Cheers,
Don
don731

Return to PRE Version 12