They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Output video formats, long project in short pieces

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Output video formats, long project in short pieces

Postby robbie410 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:09 pm

Is there anywhere else I can look to get more information on outputting video for use in another video project (p386 Guide Elements 11)
Taking the advice, when working on a long project in short pieces, Elements 12, I only seem to be able to save segments from timeline as .prel. No option to save as .mov (DV-MOV) I am working on Imac therefore expected to see an option to save as .mov. What file format is .prel?
Do I just save as .prel and then combine saved .prel segments to make the final longer project?
Robert
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Output video formats, long project in short pieces

Postby Bob » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:43 pm

The ".prel" file is the project file which contains the details of the video clips used and the edits made, but does not contain actual video. What you need to do is export the movie using the Publish And Share panel. Here's is the help page describing the process: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/sharing-pc-playback.html

After you've created all the individual videos, create a new project, import the pieces, and use the Publish and Share Panel to export your movie in final form.
Bob

Postby robbie410 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:21 am

Thanks again for your great support. Making progress but with large project you get a lot of additional files being stored. Is it necessary to keep Encoded and log folders whilst working or do they get renewed every time changes are made anyway?
Robert
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:23 am

Version 12 does a pretty good job of self-maintaining. It even clears the Media Cache automatically whenever you quit the program.

As for the extra files it makes, they are necessary to your project. But, if you start a new folder for each new project you create, these extra files will all remain in a nice, neat place. And, when you're doing with your project, you can just delete this folder to get rid of all of the junk files for it.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:11 pm

Having created different clip segments, with a view to rejoining in final project, which is the correct way to import the segments into new project. Using Prel files and then share to DVD, or convert each segment, (share to PC), to mpeg and then import back into new project and share to DVD?
Robert
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:56 pm

As Bob said earlier, you can't use the .prel files as media files. Premiere Elements doesn't allow for "embedded timelines". You'll need to combine the video files you've output from your movie.

In your case, you'd use Publish & Share/Computer/MOV with either the DV or DV Widescreen preset to output each segment.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:23 pm

OK, thanks for your comment, as you said that which Bob had said initially. Somewhere I am going wrong because I do not get an option to save to .mov or DV in the new box for settings having pressed Publish and Share. I import the base file, off camera, as .mov file. I import this .mov, via organiser, to Premier Elements - new project. Work on file, spliting clips; using correction options, e.g. tint levels. Then I render the project and go to Publish and Share. I used the option to create for PC, did not use to create DVD as I thought this would be the final action, and that it would not save to Imac. There are a number of other options on the Publish and Share box but I did not readily see one for creating .mov or DV files. In addition the created .prel file, when played on timeline, seems a bit slim. It could be that the file being imported initially is 16:9, but I have not made the right import setting, and I cannot see anywhere how to check the size it was filmed in. I say this because when I go to Publish and Share - file to PC - the election of options includes amongst other NTSC and widescreen, plus others. I know that I should use PAL and used PAL standard, would this be stopping me create .mov and DV file? It creates as an MPEG file. Should I use the PAL Widescreen?
I will now read again all the comments and re create from the beginning to see, with calm patience, if I can find the right button for sharing as a .mov file.
I know I am a pain but only just getting back into using Pemier Elements 12 and have quite a few old videos, video 8, which I would like to convert and make into DVD's
Robert
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby robbie410 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:25 pm

I forgot to ask whether there is a Tutorial on this process on the Muvipix site?
Robert
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Ron » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:12 pm

robbie410 wrote:I forgot to ask whether there is a Tutorial on this process on the Muvipix site?

These should help a bit - http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... =0&btn.y=0
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bob » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:42 pm

Robert,

Select Publish and Share, then select Computer. Look for Quicktime in the list of options. You may need to scroll down the list to find it. Select Quicktime. Now fill in the options. In the presets, select PAL DV 16:9 if it is widescreen or PAL DV if it is full frame. Give it a file name, and identify the location where it is to save the file. You can use browse to navigate to the folder where it is to be placed. Click Save to create the .MOV file.

When you created your project, Premiere Elements 12 should have matched the project settings to the first clip you placed on the timeline. If the image is looking squeezed, it may be interpreting a wide screen clip as a full frame clip. Check your project settings and the clip info.
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:27 pm

Have you gone through our free 8 part Basic Training tutorial series for Premiere Elements yet?
http://muvipix.com/products.php?searchp ... 2&btn.y=15

Part 8 deals specifically with outputting your project as a video file.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:19 am

Task for today and tomorrow. Many thanks
Robert

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby robbie410 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:11 am

well what an idiot. I did not see the pull down bar on Premier Elements Publish and Share window. Therefore I was clicking MPEG rather than Quicktime. Have now corrected my way and am trying to solve other things as I go along. Watching Basic for Elements, 1 of 8, and enjoying. Just difficult in finding the folders every time I go to the next tutorial. I know they are in Learning but quick access would help. Any strings, how to get to the files, that I could use would be helpful
Robert
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:33 pm

I'm not sure what you're asking for, Robbie. Aren't all of the tutorials on the page I linked you to above?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby robbie410 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:43 am

Yes, all of your data and tutorials are on the site, it is just that I am a little slow in finding my way around. I have now been able to establish the string using Download>products>learning>multi part>and then Basics. It is all fine when you know how.
The tutorials are all fine and clearly explained. Having wasted your time it should be an obligation that anyone new to the site for Pre Ele 12, or 11 should use these tutorials before making post contact. That would stop people like me constantly looking for information by post
Robert

PS how do you get to ones account page and subscription details. I thought I needed to renew/?
robbie410
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Next

Return to PRE Version 12