They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Green Screen Me!

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Green Screen Me!

Postby Little Nac » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:32 pm

Hi Guys.
Just a quick question if I may. As a little joke, I am trying to green screen myself. I have a green T-Shirt (correct colour green), and I have taken a video of me waving my hands etc. I want the finished video to only show my head and arms with my body transparent. I am placing it on the time line in PE12 and have even tried it in PE7, but nothing is happening. I have done plenty of green screen virtually with no problems at all. I just can't get my body transparent. What am I doing wrong.
Thanks for any help.
L.N. :pull:
If you are faced with a forced landing at night, switch on the landing lights, if you don't like what you see, switch them back off.
Little Nac
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Green Screen Me!

Postby Bob » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:09 am

Which keying effect are you applying?
Bob

Postby Little Nac » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:35 am

Hi Bob. The Green Screen Key, but I have also tried the Chroma Key.
Put it this way. In the past I have taped a round piece of Green Material (about the size of a saucer) onto my chest. When I apply the green screen effect in PE, it appears that you can see right through a big hole in my chest. That's the kind of effect I am after with the green shirt, just showing my hands and head.
Thanks, L.N. ](*,)
If you are faced with a forced landing at night, switch on the landing lights, if you don't like what you see, switch them back off.
Little Nac
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:09 am

Let's try this. Apply the green screen key effect to the video clip. Open up the effect properties and twirl down the arrow to display the effect controls. Set the Threshold slider all the way to the right and the Cutoff slider all the way to the left. Check the box labeled "Mask Only". You'll see something that looks similar to a black and white negative. Move the Threshold slider to the left until the portion of the image corresponding to the green turns black. Now move the Cutoff slider to the right until the portion of the image corresponding to your arms and face turn white. (if you move one slider past the other, you'll get a reversal of the b&w image, you don't want that) You may need to go back and adjust the threshold slider and cutoff sliders to get the most uniform black and white regions. Now uncheck the "Mask Only" box.

Did that give you a good green screen separation?
Bob

Postby Little Nac » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:02 pm

Hi Bob. Thanks for the help. Unfortunately it did not give a good separation, the back-ground was scratchy and the green shirt was black but very scratchy around the shoulders. What is going on?
Cheers, L.N. :pull:
Little Nac
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:06 pm

Can you export a freeze frame and upload it for me to look at? You can post in a private message if you don't want to make it public.
Bob

Return to PRE Version 12