They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

PE12 launches slowly on new computer; so does PE9

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

PE12 launches slowly on new computer; so does PE9

Postby boogieted » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:59 am

I have 2 new top-of-the-line computers in my classroom, and have installed PE12 and PE9 on each one. The problem is that after double-clicking the icons to run the programs, it takes around a full 3 minutes for the program to actually begin opening. Same story is true for each of these 2 machines (even if I "run as administrator"). During the wait, the computers are showing 0 CPU activity. The only caveat I'm aware of here is that we are on a proxy server, but again, CPU activity is nil during the wait.

Here are the basic PC specs:
Dell Optiplex 7010 minitower
Intel Core i7 processor 3.4GHZ
1 TB SATA HDD
16 GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit
Dual AMD Radeon HD 7470 graphics cards

I'm looking for insight and advice on this issue. Thanks!
boogieted

Re: PE12 launches slowly on new computer; so does PE9

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:39 am

It can take a few minutes for the program to open all of its components. But, once it's up and running, it should load your project relatively quickly.

There are a couple of factors can affect how quickly the program opens. Like whether the computers are on a network or standalone and if the project and media files are on the computer itself or on your network. Your antivirus program, firewall and other IT-installed software could also affect load-up time.

When you open your Task Manager, how many proccesses does it show as running? How many services?

EDIT:
Just as an experiment, I opened an existing video project Premiere Elements 12. The program took about 20 seconds to launch and then about 15 more seconds to load up the project. As you can see, I'm just using a quad-core i5 with 8 gig of RAM, but my program and is my C drive and my project and media files are on my internal D drive.

I also tried it on my Core Duo 2.6 ghz computer with 4 gig of RAM and the media files on an external drive. The program opened in about 40 seconds and loaded up the project about 40 seconds later.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby boogieted » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:29 am

This is at a school, so we are behind a proxy server. Since the time of my original posting, my IT staff has "whitelisted" every site that Premiere tries to hit on startup (there are a ton of them, by the way), and yet it still takes almost 3 minutes between clicking the icon and seeing anything happen on the screen. The CPU usage is extremely low during this wait.

At my first opportunity I will put the machine on my home network and see if it behaves the same way, away from a proxy server.

Another factor potentially is the McAfee antivirus software that we are mandated to use. It's so ingrained into our school computers that we can't even uninstall it temporarily to see if that's what's keeping Premiere 12 (and 8 and 9) from opening sooner. Even with admin rights, we can't get rid of it.

So this issue could be network-related, or it could be antivirus-related. But we have not seen any similar issues from any other software.

One other thing to note is that once Premeire Elements 12 does finally open, it is practically unusable on these 2 computers we have. It is very unresponsive. I wish there was a way to disable any type of connection attempts that the software wants to make. This type of thing is a nightmare at a school/work environment where there are proxy servers. I seem to have wasted $85.
boogieted

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:45 am

I do recommend you give the program a test drive on your home computer. I think you'll find the performance is very different than what you're experiencing in your school.

If you are going to use the program in a networked, school environment, I recommend you contact Adobe Tech Support and ask to speak to a supervisor. Premiere Elements was designed for consumer use on a standalone computer, and using it in that environment can require some special technicall tweaks.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby boogieted » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:49 am

Thanks Steve. Do you have a number that I can use to get through to the right technical support department at Adobe?
boogieted

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:14 am

The only number I know is the one of the Adobe site on this page.
http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?pro ... or-service

800-833-6687
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 12