They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Install on Partitioned drive; store on external

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 12.

Install on Partitioned drive; store on external

Postby mikecox » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:57 pm

I recently upgraded Premiere Elements; from v11 to v12, and installed it on my desktop. I now want to install it on my Asus Zenbook UX32VD laptop; which has a Partitioned SSD drive. I will install it from C: but put it on D: during the install. It will be the first program I've installed this way.

In Lr I have all my images, and the current Catalog, on an external drive. That way I can access them from either computer.

I want to set Premiere Elements the same way; so I work from wither computer when editing video?

I plan to store my files, and the current catalog, on the external drive but keep the files I am currently working on on the SSD; which, as I understand it, should work faster. When I am finished with a video I will move it to the external drive.

Does that make sense? :conf: Because I can't seem to find a Catalog for Premiere; I've even searched the Manual. But when I installed it I seem to recall a catalog conversion.
Michael :cool:
Pr Pro, Ps and Lr CC, Canon Cameras: 60D and 70D
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
i7-6600U CPU@2.6GHz 2.81, 16GB RAM,475 GB SSD, 211 Free
Intel HD Graphics 520, NVIDIA GeForce GPU
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Install on Partitioned drive; store on external

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:02 pm

Why is your drive partitioned, Mike?

Partioning drives is kind of an antiquated computer technique that gives more problems than benefits. Today's operating system can handle virtually any size hard drive.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:29 pm

SSDs will open programs faster, but will not speed up video editing.

Partitioning actually slows down editing.
Peru

Postby mikecox » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:09 pm

Thanks for your response Steve,

As an aside, I am still not receiving email notifications. I've reviewed the Control Panel settings and they look ok. :conf:

Steve Grisetti wrote:Why is your drive partitioned, Mike?
Because it was delivered that way.

Partioning drives is kind of an antiquated computer technique that gives more problems than benefits. Today's operating system can handle virtually any size hard drive.

Yes, that's what I think too, but I wasn't given an option to have it otherwise. When I questioned this setup with Asus I was discouraged me from removing it.

I think it has something to do with returning the computer to the OOB state, or something.

Maybe I should give some thought to a "clean install". But that would remove all the Asus "support" programs and probably invalidate the warranty. So I'm stuck, I guess...
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby mikecox » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:54 pm

Peru wrote:SSDs will open programs faster

Ok,that does makes sense to me

Partitioning actually slows down editing.

I can understand the logic of that

but will not speed up video editing

Hmm, I imagined it might be otherwise. Glad to have been set straight on that point; thanks.

Of course now I have this partitioned drive, created my the manufacturer and am wondering if I should just do a clean install; or just remove the partition, before I get too involved; and forget about the manufacturers advice against doing so.
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:15 pm

You should be able to remove the partition without losing anything on your C drive. (I'm not sure about the D drive/partition, so you may want to move what's there to the C drive before you do it.)

Here's some software I used to set up and remove a partition. It's nicely enough free. It's also Chinese software, which I know some people object to.
http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Partiti ... 63346.html
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mikecox » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:18 pm

Notification is now working :YY:

Steve Grisetti wrote:You should be able to remove the partition without losing anything on your C drive. (I'm not sure about the D drive/partition, so you may want to move what's there to the C drive before you do it.)

Actually I haven't started using the D: drive yet; but there are a lot of .dll files there, and a .cab file along with an MSI file. I will contact Asus and ask them how to delete the D: drive. I suppose I could reduce it's size to a bare minimum and use it to backup a misc file or two; then just start installing programs on C:

But the original question remains; minus the D: drive issue.

How do I install Premiere Elements so I am able to access the files stored on an external drive, the way I do with Lr. In the latter case I can open Lr and it finds the Catalog and all my images on the external drive; no matter which computer I start Lr on.

Here's some software I used to set up and remove a partition. It's nicely enough free. It's also Chinese software, which I know some people object to.
http://download.cnet.com/EaseUS-Partiti ... 63346.html

I'll check it out. I installed this partition manager a long time ago but have never used it. Don't know if it's any better than the one you recommended but you can check it out if you like...

http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

Thanks,
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:22 pm

You should be able to use any media files on an external drive just as you would media files on an internal drive. Just import them and start editing!

On a Windows machine, I'd recommend using Computer Management/Disk Management to assign a drive letter to your external. That way Windows won't give it a different name every time you attach it. Once you've done that, you can set up the folders on your external to be Watched Folders for the Organizer, if you'd like, and it be added to your Organizer catalog.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mikecox » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:20 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:You should be able to use any media files on an external drive just as you would media files on an internal drive. Just import them and start editing!
When I open Lr, Lr finds my default the catalog; which is stored on my L: drive. It then opens the catalog and I'm good to go; no matter what computer I'm using. I don't have to move any "media files"; or RAW and jpg files in the case of Lr.

I am thinking that Premiere could be set up in a similar way, if it uses the catalog scenario; but I can't find a catalog for Premiere, which I'm assuming exists somewhere... or does it. :conf:

Assuming there is a catalog I would think, by putting it on L: with my media files, I should be able to work from either of my two computers and access my work as though it were on the C: drive of the computer I was working from.

On a Windows machine, I'd recommend using Computer Management/Disk Management to assign a drive letter to your external. That way Windows won't give it a different name every time you attach it. Once you've done that, you can set up the folders on your external to be Watched Folders for the Organizer, if you'd like, and it be added to your Organizer catalog.
Yes, in the case of the external drive I have my Lr room images, and catalog on I have done that; and assigned the letter L: to that drive.
WIN10 Pro, Surface Book,
mikecox
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PRE Version 12