They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Can Standard Definition Video be Burned to a Blu-Ray Disc?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Postby HSA » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:36 pm

Using Premier Elements version 11. My project is to have two separate 720x480 SD videos (captured from VHS), both on the Premier Elements project timeline, separated by a short Black Video and appropriate Stop and Menu Markers.

In my experimenting, I found that the two videos together (and a Menu), somewhat exceed the capacity of a standard DVD disc. Using Blu-ray as the disc medium would provide way more than enough room, and one can purchase a Blu-Ray player/burner for a PC for merely $45-$75, though I do not currently have a Blu-ray burner.

What I don’t know is whether a project created in Premier Elements version 11 as a SD 720x480 video will burn reliably to a HD Blu-ray disc (making the investment in a PC Blu-ray burner worthwhile).

Any experiences?

Thank you,

Howard
HSA

Re: Can Standard Definition Video be Burned to a Blu-Ray Dis

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:55 pm

You won't be able to do it using Premiere Elements. In fact, I'm not sure there is any disc-authoring software that will allow you to create a 25 gigabyte DVD.

There may be a way to do it, but I'm not sure what it is. Or if a DVD player will play it. But let's see if anyone else has any ideas.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby HSA » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:14 pm

Interesting, thank you.

How about if I start from scratch as follows:

I’m beginning with VHS tapes. Assume I capture to DV-AVI (I believe that’s the only capture for the Canopus 110).

When I bring it into Premier Elements 11 timeline, rather than to use the project default of SD 720x480, FORCE the project to HD 1080. When done re-editing, save it as a HD project and burn it to a Blu-ray.

Is such a thing possible? Maybe I’m just “asking for trouble”!

Howard
HSA

Postby Bob » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:13 am

Are you aware that Premiere Elements 11 supports burning to dual-layer DVD+R discs? The capacity of one of those is 8.5 GB. Sounds like that should solve your problem.

How much over the capacity of a single-layer DVD is your project?
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:04 am

Maybe we're not clear what you're trying to accomplish, Howard.

You can certainly force settings on a project and output your standard definition video as high-def -- if you want a blurry BluRay. (Better to create a DVD and let the TV do the upscaling.)

But I got the idea your main goal was to fit more than two hour's video on a DVD. In which case Bob's solution is the best.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby HSA » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:08 pm

Yes, all I want to do is to fit another half-hour or so on the DVD, so I thought of the above-mentioned (Blu-ray-based) possibilities. I now understand that using a Blu-ray disc for SD 720x480 is a non-starter (though I suppose I knew that that would be the case).

Bob, yes, I was aware that there is such a thing as "dual-layer" DVD discs. I thought, however, that these required a separate, new, DVD Burner/Player --- i.e., one specifically designed to burn and read dual-layer DVD discs.

I don't mind purchasing any new hardware or software and would gladly purchase a dual-layer DVD burner/player for my PC if that would address the issue. But while I know that the intended recipients of my project all have Blu-ray/DVD readers, none that I am aware of possesses a "Dual Layer" player, if there is such a separate beast.

Bottom line: Using my current PC-based DVD burner/player and a box of "dual-layer" DVD discs, can I utilize the dual-layer capacity, and will that play on a "standard" DVD or combo Blu-ray/DVD player?

Thank you,

Howard
HSA

Postby Chris B » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:30 pm

Most (citation needed ;) ) commercial DVDs are Dual layer (as incidentally are most commercial BluRays). I was pretty sure that most modern DVD writers are as well. Dual layer disks have a reputation of being slightly fussy - as the technology is very different to commercial disks but should work. Again - they should play back on modern DVD players. Personally I've not had any trouble.

As to your first question it should be technically possible to burn standard definition to a BluRay - but you will need a bluray burner to make the disk and a bluray player to play it back.

As a second idea - given the source material is VHS it isn't likely to be great quality can you reduce the bitrate to make them fit?
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby HSA » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:02 pm

Thank you Chris.

Over the last few minutes I've been exploring the Internet on the matter of dual-layer DVD discs. Overwhelmingly, the posts are from ten or so years ago, I suppose when dual-layer was about new.

It appears that there were early bugs, among being the problem of standard (single layer) DVD payers reading a homemade dual-layer disc made on another machine. In light of the age of most of those older posts, and the new ones being more optimistic, there seems to be reason to guess that a more-recently manufactured dual-layer DVD burner should produce a dual-layer DVD readable on a standard, single-layer DVD player. In other words, it's worth purchasing a new dual-layer DVD burner and a box of discs.

A separate, but related, matter is that so many Internet posts recommended ImageBurn (a "free" download) as the program to use to burn sensitive dual-layer discs, rather than the Premier Elements 11 and Nero already on my system. Then later posts about that software slammed it over and over for later versions forcing unmerciful bloatware onto the user's system. Such negative information about the newer releases of ImageBurn has also been posted on this Muvipix site. I went to the ImageBurn website and it stated that it is no longer being developed.

Bob and Chris, again thanks for your help. For a mere $50 or so, I'll certainly try the dual-layer DVD route to getting my two SD movies to fit on a single DVD disc.

Howard
HSA

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:26 pm

ImgBurn is done, in that there hasn't been an update to it in five years.

But it also does its thing better than any other free software I know of.

Our tutorial shows you how to download the program and install it without the bloatware.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chris B » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:21 am

Bob and Chris, again thanks for your help. For a mere $50 or so, I'll certainly try the dual-layer DVD route to getting my two SD movies to fit on a single DVD disc.

$50 seems a bit much. Here's a drive that burns dual layer DVDs for $18. You should not need a new player.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136276

Also - what is your current DVD burner? I would have though that the chances are if it's less that 5 or 6 years old (and probably older) then it already supports dual layer media.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby HSA » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:06 am

Thank you Chris.

I do not believe my current DVD burner does dual layer. It makes a big deal about "M-Disc" capability, but not dual layer.

A matter I read about a few times is how a particular dual-layer burner handles the transition upon playback from one disc layer to the other. Apparently, early on, it was horrible; people thought there reader was malfunctioning. Then, I believe it was Pioneer, came up with a better --- smoother --- way for the drive to transition from one layer to another. This all got me to thinking: when recording a project that is longer than 4.7GB capacity, does a dual-layer DVD burner just begin --- automatically on it own --- to record on the second layer? Or does one have to intervene?

To your note about the price of the drive, I suppose I was looking at RETAIL packaging, thus the greater price. I certainly do not need the SATA and power cables that generally come with retail-packaged drives, but retail packaging also generally comes with a lite version of Nero. The Nero software (lite version) that came with my current drive is version nine, and I believe I recently saw a drive that came with version twelve. Although, as you probably know, the lite version of Nero can be pain in the neck --- pop-up dialogs to purchase Nero products.

Steve Grisetti (and others hereabout) clearly favors Imgburn, and he kindly pointed me to a tutorial he prepared on installing Imgburn (without the widely hated bloatware) and burning DVDs with that product. But Nero, and I would assume others, though I don't know the names, does have a lot of other capabilities.

Thanks for all your help,

Howard
HSA

Postby Peru » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:53 pm

The last time I installed ImgBurn (about a month ago), there were boxes that could easily be unchecked so that no bloatware would be installed. Just read everything that you see in the installation window.
Peru

Postby Chris B » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:00 pm

Mdisk was invented in 2009 - so your drive is later than that. Dual layer writing drives were introduced in 2004. I would be surprised if your current drive doesn't support dual layer writing. Does it have DVD+R DL or DVD-R DL in the listed supported writable formats? If it does - it can burn dual layer.

Regarding burning software - if all else fails Windows (Vista onwards) has built in CD/DVD burning capabilities.
Chris B

Postby Bob » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:05 pm

Looks like Chris was responding while I was composing my reply.

M-Disc is a much newer technology than dual layer. If your dvd burner supports creating those, I would be very surprised if your burner didn't support writing dual layer discs too.

Dual layer discs come in two types "DVD+R" and "DVD-R", Premiere Elements 11 supports "DVD+R". When you place a dual layer blank disc in the burner, Premiere Elements should recognize it as a dual layer disc and utilize the extra space. On playback, it's normal for the player to make a slight pause as the laser refocuses on the second layer and then resumes. Premiere Elements doesn't let you control where the pause will occur.
Bob

Postby HSA » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:41 pm

Bob wrote:
M-Disc is a much newer technology than dual layer. If your dvd burner supports creating those, I would be very surprised if your burner didn't support writing dual layer discs too.

Dual layer discs come in two types "DVD+R" and "DVD-R", Premiere Elements 11 supports "DVD+R".

. . . On playback, it's normal for the player to make a slight pause as the laser refocuses on the second layer and then resumes. Premiere Elements doesn't let you control where the pause will occur.

Thank you, Bob.

Wow, and just in time. I was about to purchase a box of dual-layer discs and a dual-layer burner. I did not know that premier Elements supports only DVD+R [I believe I observed that the discs are designated with a "DL" at the end, such as "DVD+R DL"].

As to my present burner: Nope, no dual layer capability.

Too bad one can't control where that dual-layer pause occurs. My intention is to place two separate videos (and maybe a slide event) on the one disc. Wouldn't it be nice if I could schedule the shift-in-layer pause to occur at the time of the "black video" between the two features.

Thanks again,

Howard
HSA

Next

Return to PRE Version 11