They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

File Format -- DVD Menu Template

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

File Format -- DVD Menu Template

Postby HSA » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:39 pm

Matter of DVD Menu Template

I wanted to add the Muvipix Generic Text DVD Menu Template to my Premier Elements 11 system. The video explaining how to download and install Menu templates appears to have been created in year 2010. That video shows that upon clicking the download button, one will have the option of downloading the format of his preference from the following:

18Scenes_hd.zip
18Scenes_w.zip
18Scenes_s.zip

The meanings of hd, w and s are clear. But when I download the "generictextdvdV4" folder, it did not offer the above-noted file format selection. There was only one "zip" file to download, having the following psd files:

- GenericText_hd_mm.psd
- GenericText_hd_sm.psd
- GenericText_pal_s_mm.psd
- GenericText_pal_s_sm.psd
- GenericText_pal_w_mm.psd
- GenericText_pal_w_sm.psd

There was nothing in the nature of: "18Scenes_ . . ." as shown in the video of the download and installation process. This raised two related questions:

1) I was about to delete the four above-listed "__pal__" files since I'm in the U.S. and would look for NTSC, but then I had second thoughts and stopped. Inasmuch as I am working on a standard definition (720x480) project (from VHS source) what would be the recommendation?

2) As noted, I'm using Premier Elements 11 for my standard definition project. From the above list, the remaining two "psd" files (other than "pal") appear to be high definition. Will these work as Menu Templates in my intended standard definition projects? What would be the recommendation?

Thank you,

Howard
HSA

Re: File Format -- DVD Menu Template

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:26 am

The "pal" reference in the name is an artifact from the days when Adobe felt there needed to be separate templates for PAL and NTSC systems. That is no longer true. Both formats use the same aspect ratio so, even if it says "pal" in standard definition DVD templates, it will work in either format.

Version 11 was quite a while ago, but I do believe you can use HD templates in DVD as well as BluRay projects.

Most of your questions should be answered, by the way, in the sticky post at the top of they Premiere Elements 11 forum.
viewtopic.php?f=100&t=11599
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby HSA » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:50 pm

I'm interested in using a simple (businesslike) Menu Template. Your "Preview Box" template would seem to fit the need.

I have Premier Elements 11; My project is SD 780 x 480.

I earlier downloaded -- Item: Preview Box DVD Template; File: PreviewBoxV2_ntsc.zip.
I ignored -- Item: Preview Box DVD Template; File: PreviewBoxV2_pal.zip, it being "PAL".

I observed the Item: Preview Box DVD Template, File: PreviewBoxV3.zip, but did not know its purpose inasmuch as the actual template file was "PAL".

But based on your latest response, it appears that I should (nowadays) ignore the NTSC version (here and everywhere else) and just download your latest version of a template, whatever that would be, here v3, and be done with it. [And, of course, the download.txt file.]

The exception would be in the future when I move on to Premier Elements 2019 and High Definition, then use an HD template, if Muvipix has one for the particular template.

Is that about correct?

Thank you.
HSA

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:18 pm

Should work. Just let me know if it doesn't.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Choosing Among Versions of the Same Menu Template?

Postby HSA » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:02 pm

How to Choose Among Versions of the Same Menu Template?

I downloaded and installed three Muvipx DVD Menu Templates, per the instructions in several posts to the message board and two video tutorials. After installation, each of the Menu Templates has three options or versions, such as SD, W and HD, all in one subfolder of the applicable name. When the applicable Menu Template is selected in a Premier Elements project, everything within the Menu creation function, including preview, seems to work as designed.

Question: For a Menu Template in the applicable directory, since there are two or three variations, for example: SD, W, HD, how does one choose among them for a particular project?

When I go to make a Premier Elements Menu Template, what shows up in the selection window is only ONE thumbnail for a particular menu template, not three. Of course depending on the parameters of the project I may want to use the SD, W or HD Template, but how does one select from among them? I could understand placing each of the three versions in its own applicably labeled subdirectory, but the instructions and tutorial point to including all three versions in the same-named directory.

Thank you,

Howard
HSA

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:10 pm

The correct template is selected by the program based on the project specifications.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 11