They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Help --- Create Menu Function --- “NO DISC ERROR” Dialog

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Help --- Create Menu Function --- “NO DISC ERROR” Dialog

Postby HSA » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:28 pm

In Need of Help --- Create Menu Function --- “NO DISC ERROR” Dialog

Using Premier Elements 11 and Windows 7.

I’m a beginner working through all the chapters of Adobe’s “Classroom In A Book” with all of its lessons (which were earlier loaded onto the hard drive from the DVD that comes with the lesson book), and Steve Grisetti’s Premier Elements 11 book.

I’ve worked through the first nine of twelve lesson chapters with no computer problems. I am now in Lesson 11: CREATING MENUS. I load the existing Lesson 11 project like any previous, no problem.

As soon as I go to “TOOLS” > MOVIE MENU > PREVIEW DISC (per the instruction in the book), I get an Error dialog that says:

FONT CAPTURE: ADOBE ELEMENTS.EXE ---- NO DISC
Insert Disc in Drive E

At this point everything is frozen; can’t do a thing. Never had this happen before.

So I inserted my original Premier Elements disc in the DVD drive, the ERROR dialog disappears and everything works as it should.

Furthermore, in any other project, even if I am able to create a test Menu, when I exit the project the ERROR dialog appears that again says: FONT CAPTURE: ADOBE ELEMENTS.EXE ---- NO DISC / Insert Disc in Drive E. And everything is frozen (until I place the original Premier Elements disc back in the DVD drive).

What’s going on?

This problem occurs only when dealing with MENUS, no problem with other Premier Elements functions. I have no other “computer” problems.

Help appreciated,

Howard
HSA

Re: Help --- Create Menu Function --- “NO DISC ERROR” Dialog

Postby HSA » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:00 pm

I need to add:

Sometimes the error dialog says: FONT CAPTURE: ADOBE ELEMENTS.EXE ---- NO DISC / Place disc in drive E
And sometimes the error dialog says: ADOBE ELEMENTS.EXE ---- THERE IS NO DISC IN THE DRIVE / Insert disc in drive E

Everything is then frozen until I place the original program disc in the DVD drive.

This happens whenever I use the Create Menus function, whether a lesson from the Lesson Book, or not.

I'd appreciate any help.

Howard
HSA

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:24 pm

I'm not sure how much help we're going to be here, Howard. This is a very old product on a very old operating system -- and I don't recall ever seeing an error message quite like this before.

I'll do some research and maybe out community of experts will have some ideas.

From what I have found online, it may have something to do with Adobe Reader. Have you got it installed on your computer and is it the latest version? (It's free.) But I don't think it has anything to do with Premiere Elements.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby HSA » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:42 pm

Wow. Steve, you’re on to something.

I’ve had Acrobat reader for years. I clicked on Adobe Acrobat Reader in the Start menu and I received the same type of error, this time stating that “AcroRD32.exe” was missing, insert disc in Drive E.

I inserted my Premier Elements program disc in Drive E, and then the dialog would clear. Yes, you read that correctly.

I downloaded the latest version of Acrobat reader, same result: would not open without the disc being in drive E.

However, when I clicked on a PDF, it opened with Acrobat reader with no problem. And my Adobe Photoshop program opens as it should.

So, something happened tonight just prior to my trying to learn about Creating Menus in Premier Elements.

AH! Earlier this evening I downloaded installed the latest Windows 7 security updates from Microsoft. Could that have “broken” my system? Do you think I should “uninstall” the latest security updates?

Howard
HSA

Postby HSA » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:09 pm

Steve, that's it.

I UNINSTALLED the Microsoft "security updates" that I downloaded and installed earlier this evening.

Rebooted.

Now, at least at initial testing, the "MENU" function in Premier Elements goes through its routine without the error dialog asking me to insert the disc holding the Premier Elements "executable" file in drive E. I also tried to opened Adobe Acrobat; it it opened normally; did not ask for the disc holding the "executable".

So, tell your readers who are still using Windows 7: this all happened just tonight after downloading and installing the Windows 7 security updates dated 3/12/19. Shame on Microsoft!

Thanks Steve for giving me that first clue as to what might be wrong.

NOW I HAVE TO GO BACK AND LEARN HOW TO CREATE PREMIER ELEMENTS MENUS!

Howard
HSA

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:59 am

Howard! You did it! Great detective work, man!

Sorry we couldn't offer more help. But I'm glad we could get you pointed in the right direction so you could figure it out.

Happy moviemaking!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:09 pm

I would use the Adobe Cleaner Tool and reinstall (yes, it works for Premiere Elements, too) :
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/ ... blems.html
Peru

Return to PRE Version 11