They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Audio EFFECT/ADJUSTMENT Tools?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Re: Audio EFFECT/ADJUSTMENT Tools?

Postby HSA » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:06 pm

Well, that was a flop!

Here’s what happened:

I exported the audio from my Premier Elements project as a WAV. I loaded it into Audacity for purposes of using its EQUALIZER function to improve higher frequencies a bit, and to use Audacity’s AMPLIFY function to decrease the sound of a “pop” in the original audio.

I was careful to reduce the volume of that pop ---- and not cut it out of the waveform ---- thereby preserving the time length of the audio, in turn to keep it in sync with the video when reimported back into Premier Elements.

I exported the Audacity audio project as a WAV.

I loaded that WAV file as a Project Asset for my Premier Elements project.

In the original Premier Elements project, I deleted Audio track 1 (i.e., the original audio) in its entirety.

I dragged my new WAV file to the beginning of (now empty) Audio track 1.

I played the video/audio project.

The audio was significantly out of sync with the video.

Any clues as to this disaster?

Thank you,

Howard
HSA

Postby Peru » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:20 am

Are you sure that both audio clips are exactly the same length?
You didn't accidentally move the video clip, did you?
Peru

Postby HSA » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:41 pm

Ok, I figured it out.

Recall that my goal was to EXPORT the Premier Elements audio 1 track to a suitable audio format (I chose WAV) and import it into Audacity for editing. The primary audio edit was to use Audacity’s EQUALIZER function to gradually increase frequencies above 1000 Hz ---- to try to compensate somewhat for the higher-frequency losses to the three-minute musical performance in a 1945 movie.

I saved the now-Audacity-edited WAV to the “project assets” area of my Premier Elements project. Then I (1) DELETED the several clips that made up my original audio track 1, and then (2) DRAGGED AND DROPPED the new WAV file to the very beginning of audio track 1. Unfortunately, the audio was out of sync with the video.

What I discovered:

In my original project, I arranged things so that the introductory audio (music) begins to fade in 4.1 seconds before the video fades in. When I deleted the audio tract 1 clips, I executed “DELETE AND CLOSE GAP”. At first I didn’t realize it, but doing so ALSO CLOSED MY INTENTIONAL 4.1 SECOND WAIT PERIOD BEFORE MY VIDEO BEGAN TO FADE IN. Since the “new” audio correctly began at the very start of the timeline, and the video “did not wait its intended turn”, of course audio and video were out of sync.

My solution:

With the “new” WAV file in the “project assets” folder, I started the Premier Elements project again. This time, as I deleted the clips in audio track 1, I did NOT execute “Delete and Close Gap”; rather, I executed “DELETE” (no gap closing). Thus, the video track was undisturbed; it did not move to the very beginning of the timeline; the 4.1 second intentional opening delay remained in place. When I thereafter dragged and dropped the “new” WAV file onto the very beginning audio track 1, the audio and video were in sync. BINGO!

I would argue that since I selected, and was working on, the audio track 1 only, Premier Elements should not have closed the gap on my video 1 track when I executed “Delete and Close Gap”. But it is what it is; now I know how it works.

Now here’s a pointer that may prove helpful to many, even experienced users:

Recall that I wanted to edit the audio using Audacity’s comprehensive and powerful audio tools. But long before exporting the audio out of Premier Elements I had carefully made several inter-clip audio fade-ins and fade-outs, mostly using keyframes. When I exported the audio out of Premier Elements to a WAV file, then into Audacity, then imported back into Premier Elements, I found that all my audio fade-ins and -outs were gone. Ok, so I learned. Thus, when in the future I intend to export audio for editing in Audacity then reimport back into Premier Elements, MAKE NO ADJUSTMENTS WITHIN PREMIER ELEMENTS TO THE AUDIO until after edited in Audacity and reimported back into Premier Elements.

Thank you to those who helped me figure out all of this,

Howard
HSA

Postby Bob » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:18 pm

Sorry I couldn't reply sooner. I'm glad you figured out how the audio became unaligned with the video. You aren't the first person to get zapped by "delete and close gap". But, that's the way it works.

I am a bit puzzled by the loss of audio transitions you describe. Certainly, the keyframes and effects you applied to the audio will be gone after you delete the audio clips -- if you have no clips, you have no effects. But, the audio you exported prior to deleting the clips should have had all those effects and transitions applied during the export. The resulting audio file should have those effects and transitions "baked in". No need to apply them again. That's how it worked in all the (older) versions of Premiere Elements I've used and also how it works in all the versions of Premiere Pro I've used. Odd.
Bob

Postby HSA » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:49 pm

Bob, you are absolutely correct.

I completed my (first!) project in Premier Elements, including audio fade-ins and fade-outs (mostly manually applied using keyframes).

I have a good background in analog and digital audio. I exported the Premier Elements track 1 audio to a WAV file so that it could be edited a bit in Audacity. When the waveform was in Audacity, YES, my audio fade-ins and outs were, as you described: “BAKED IN”.

After I made the couple if edits in Audacity, I exported it as a WAV then imported it as a “project asset” into Premier Elements. Finally, I dragged and dropped it to my Premier Elements Audio track 1.

Missing ---- as compared to my original project before the audio was exported ---- were the areas along the yellow, volume-level line in the audio track that previously showed fade-ins and fade-outs, including their corresponding keyframe diamonds. In other words, the waveform correctly corresponded to the volume, but the yellow line and the placement of keyframe diamonds were gone.

A reasonable analogy:
Under the “Effects and Adjustments” section of Adobe’s book and Steve’s book, the advice is to do “corrective” edits first, then do any artistic or stylistic adjustments. I see this as an analogy. If one is intending to work on Premier Elements in Audacity or other stand-alone audio editor, do that FIRST, then bring the audio track back into Premier Elements for other edits, such as fade-ins and outs.

Thanks for your help.

Having just completed the video and audio elements of my FIRST Premier Elements project, I now turn to learning about MENUS, so you may hear from me again!

Howard
HSA

Previous

Return to PRE Version 11