They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

HOW TO COMBINE CLIPS?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

HOW TO COMBINE CLIPS?

Postby HSA » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:18 pm

How to Combine Clips?

I’m working on my FIRST project, using Windows 7 and Photoshop Elements 11, while at the same time closely referencing Adobe’s reference guide and Steve’s book.

I want to combine what are now the two final clips (about 15 seconds in total length), in an overall five-minute project. I have been trying/researching/trying for more than an hour, but I cannot combine clips.

The reason I want them combined is that I want the audio and video to FADE OUT over the period of the two final clips, about 15 seconds in all. I have used the couple of different methods to execute the “fade out” function (they work well), but they fade out only over the FINAL clip, whereas I need a little longer fade out, over what are currently two clips.

If I could combine the two final clips that would solve the problem: I would invoke the fade out, which would then be applied to the one final, now longer, clip.

I’d appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you,

Howard
HSA

Re: HOW TO COMBINE CLIPS?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:15 pm

First, I assume you're using Premiere Elements, not Photoshop Elements 11 to edit your video.

That said, I'm not sure what you mean by 'combine', Howard. You're looking for more than just adding them to a timeline, one after the other, right?

It sounds like you've created a fade out for your audio and video but it's too short and you'd like to make it 15 seconds rather than the default 1 second. Is that right?

If so, lengthening the fade is as simple as moving further apart the fade out keyframes (dots) on your audio and video clips on your timeline.

Is there more to it than that or will that do what you need?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby HSA » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:23 pm

Thank you, Steve.

I’m sorry, yes, I meant Premier Elements (I also have Photoshop).

Here’s a better explanation of the issue and question:

I imported a long MPEG-2 then made a number of edits, including using the “split-clip” tool and “delete” functions along the audio/video tracks to remove all but about 5 minutes of the original file. I then made other edits.

For purposes of some additional edits, I twice more split the audio/video tracks, resulting in two short sequential clips at the end of the timeline and project.

With all clips now edited as desired, I want an audio/video fade out at the end of the timeline. That fade out needs to last about 10 to 15 seconds, which would encompass all of the final clip in the timeline and about half of the next-to-last clip.

Problem: The “fade out” function operates only on one clip at a time, here the final clip. So I tried to combine the last two clips on the timeline into one clip, intending thereafter to execute the “fade-out” function on the now-final clip (which was formerly two clips).

The problem is that I can find no way to combine two adjacent clips. Seems that once split, always split. Can two adjacent clips along the timeline be combined into one?

I hope I’ve explained the issue a little better.

Now, having asked the question and receiving your initial reply, I must note that I am working and learning along the way, and have not yet reached the subject of “keyframes” (but I now see that that topic begins on page 161 of your book).

So . . . likely “keyframes” will address my task. But out of curiosity if nothing else, is there a way that two adjacent clips along the timeline be combined into one clip?

Thank you,

Howard
HSA

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:29 pm

Oh, I get it. You want a fade out that extends over several clips, right?

My suggestion would be to output several of your clips as a short movie. At least the last 20 seconds of your movie. Use Publish & Share to make an MPEG2 that matches the specs of your movie. Then replace that segment of your timeline with this single clip.

You can't have a fade out extend over several clips. At least not without manually doing the fade out as several partial fade sequences, which is a lot of work.

But if you output your sequence so that it's a single clip, you can create the fade out over this single clip and it can be as slow a fade as you'd like -- up to the length of the clip, of course.

Will that do what you want to do?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby HSA » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:41 pm

Steve, yes, you now understand completely.

While I have not yet progressed to the point of understanding the "hows" of what you suggest, I do understand the general concept. I will work through a few more chapters of your book and then follow your recommendations.

At the least, I now know that, as I experienced after some unsuccessful research and effort, how I initially imagined to accomplish my intended end (by combining the adjacent final two clip) will not work.

Thanks again,

Howard
HSA

Postby Bob » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:44 am

It's too bad you don't have Premiere Elements 12( or above). That release introduced a new feature called adjustment layers which would allow you to easily apply an effect across multiple clips or even your entire timeline. You could easily do your fade out. But, Premiere Elements 11 doesn't do that. The easiest approach is the one Steve just suggested.
Bob

Postby Peru » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:40 am

What about putting black video on the track above the other tracks and keyframe its opacity from 0% to 100%?
Peru

Postby Bob » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:46 pm

That will handle the video, but not the audio. Howard wants both to fade out.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Bob

Postby Peru » Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:57 pm

Bob wrote:That will handle the video, but not the audio. Howard wants both to fade out.
]

Oh. #-o
Peru

Postby HSA » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:48 pm

Bob wrote:It's too bad you don't have Premiere Elements 12( or above). That release introduced a new feature . . . [that] Premiere Elements 11 doesn't do that.

Thank you, Bob.

As a point of consideration, I don't mind purchasing the latest version of Premier Elements (2019); the product is so inexpensive for what one gets that it's a bargain. (The FULL version of Photoshop, which I own, is no bargain; now subscription-basis only; I've not updated since CS-5).

The reason I have stayed with Premier Elements 11 (purchased a few years ago but only now learning how to use it) is that my primary purpose is to convert material currently on VHS tape, edit it and distribute DVDs to family members. I am told that Premier Elements 11, designed when capturing from VHS to DV-AVI format for editing was a major use of the product, is actually BETTER for my specific purposes than the latest versions, which are, more-or-less, are they not, oriented toward high-definition video.

I'm still learning PE 11 (working through every page of Adobe's and Steve's PE11 books). Once reasonably familiar with PE11 so that I will then be able to understand and appreciate what the latest version has to offer, I'd easily update, unless I SHOULD stay with version 11 given my limited intended use.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks again,

Howard
HSA

Postby Bob » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:51 pm

I see no reason why you should stay away from the latest version. Support for capture over firewire was removed, but you don't have firewire on your current computer so you weren't able to use that already. Whether you capture to dv-avi on your old computer or use the USB device and capture to mp4, Premiere Elements 2019 still supports both formats and standard definition projects. The Windows version still supports creating DVDs if you want to do that. I think you will be fine. When you feel ready, take a look at the new features and then decide.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Bob

Postby Peru » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:54 pm

Download the trial of Pre El 2019 before purchasing and give it a test run.
Peru

Return to PRE Version 11