They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

What's the Best format at this point

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

What's the Best format at this point

Postby AVITRY » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:09 pm

Hi guys .... long time no type! I haven't been doing any DVD conversions or video editing in a long time, and what they say is true, if you don't use it, you'll loose it.

Recently I was asked to do a short tutorial on the features of a welding machine, since in a prior life I did quite a bit of welding. Anyway, I agreed and proceeded to take out my ancient Panasonic GS-200 DV-AVI camcorder. I know, I know ... but its all I have.

Well, not even thinking about widescreen shooting of this tutorial, I proceeded to make the entire thing with the camcorder in it's normal configuration. ( I think the gs200 had a widescreen option too, but I didn't think to set it up that way before shooting the tutorial.)

Now, I captured it into PE11 and put it on the timeline, probably foolishly, choosing dv-avi widescreen as the PE project settings. I made the edits I had to, saved the project file but didn't render it yet. It was at this point I realized I made a mistake and didn't shoot the tutorial in widescreen. BTW, it's about 20 minutes long.

My questions are as follows,

1. What is going to happen if I render this to whatever format I end up choosing with the footage in 4:3 and project settings in widescreen dv-avi.

2. What would be the best file format for me to send this to the people who asked me to edit it. Probably for youtube, among other uses. Maybe for download to users who want information on the settings.

3. In short ... what is the best way to proceed at this point? Will it be necessary to make some kind of "bars" on the left and right side of the video? If so how would I choose a color?

Boy I don't want to have to do this all over again, but everything is widescreen these days, I I think I messed up. Is there a way to save this mess?

On a side note ... how are these larger video files sent these days over the internet. Last time I tried, my AOL account said the file was too large. So, even if I get this straightened out, I'm not sure how to send it to them besides burning it on a DVD or something and mailing it.

thanks guys!

joe
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: What's the Best format at this point

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:25 pm

If you try to output a 4:3 video from your project, it will come out squished, squeezed in from side to side. So that's not a good option.

You can output it as a widescreen video, but it will come out letterboxed, with black bars on either side of your video.

Though are you sure you've got a widescreen project? Normally Premiere Elements 11 will recognize the video format and automatically set up your project to match the specs of the first video clip you add to your timeline. Did that not happen?

Beyond that, you've got a couple of options. But first let's make sure we actually have to explore them.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby AVITRY » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:21 pm

Hi Steve! As I remember, initially there was a window that came up when I opened the video clip in PE 11 that said video does not match project settings. So, I remember going into the video types list, finding DV-AVI and foolishly choosing widescreen.

But ... just now, I started my video computer, opened that project file, clicked on EDIT > PROJECT SETTINGS > GENERAL > and it seems the program is set to 720 x 480. I didn't expect to see that since I did manually select widescreen.

So ... now, I suppose I simply have a 720 x 480 video project that I made a few minor edits to. Thank you for having me recheck that. Glad the program realized I'm shot .... LOL

Anyway, at this point, short of doing this over in a widescreen format, are there any halfway decent options for me? I don't know what format to output this video to so I can make it youtube friendly should they decide thats where it will end up. Wish I made it widescreen.
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:00 pm

The bad news, Joe, is that both 4:3 and 16:9 video is 720x480. The pixels are just shaped differently. So the resolution alone doesn't tell you anything.

So check those project settings again and this time look at the Pixel Aspect Ratio.

If it says 0.91, you have a 4:3 video project. If it says 1.212, you've got a widescreen project.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby AVITRY » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:40 pm

The pixel aspect ratio on this project is set to 0.9091

Looks like it did revert back to what I gave the program as a capture. I suppose it is what it is ... not the end of the world I guess. But aren't all those H.264 or mpeg 4 settings all for widescreen. I'm lost there as well, not really understanding which format I need to choose ... so many!

thx for helping Steve ...
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:27 am

Good to know your project settings are correct! That saves you a lot of heartache.

Now go to the Publish & Share/Devices/Custom and click the Advanced Settings button. On the Export Settings panel that opens, set the Format to H.264. Then, under Video, set the Height to 640 and Width to 480 (You may need to click on the chain link button to un-constrain these numbers) and set the Frames Rate to 30 and, if necessary, the Field Order to Progressive and the Aspect to Square Pixels. Then click OK.

You'll be prompted to name your custom preset. Call it 4:3 MP4 or whatever -- and then you can use it whenever you want to output a 4:3 MP4 from your video project.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby AVITRY » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:47 pm

Thanks very much Steve! I'll give it a shot.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to PRE Version 11