They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Title text disappears when title moved in timeline

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Title text disappears when title moved in timeline

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:44 am

I have about a 15 minute video project to which I've added about 3 dozen 5 second titles. These are done like subtitles (near the bottom of the screen), with the titles overlaid on a 50% opacity gray rectangle to make them more visible against the video. Thus, I have the video on track 1, the gray rectangle on track 2, and the title on track 3. After I created all of these titles I wanted to reposition some of them to slightly different points on the timeline. I lassoed the title and its corresponding gray rectangular underlay, and dragged them together to the new location. However, after these two elements are moved, the title text no longer appears. The title and its rectangle show up on the timeline, but no text on the video. If I double-click on the title as if to edit it, nothing happens. It's as if the title doesn't exist to the program. If I undo the move operation the title works normally. This happens with any title that I attempt to move. Anyone ever experience anything like this? Any solutions? I don't want to have to recreate these if I can help it. :conf:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Re: Title text disappears when title moved in timeline

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:16 am

Why not create the text and the rectangle as a single title? You don't need to have these elements as two separate clips. It will certainly make them much easier to manipulate and move around.

I don't know why repositioning the text and the rectangle is making the title disappear. But try creating a title with them graphic and text on the same title clip and see if that resolves your issue.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:58 am

Thanks for the reply Steve. After my original post things just got weirder. Now when I try to create a new title I don't get the Add Text box. I just get a blank title screen with no title editing area. Clicking on the text tool, I can't type into a text box. I think the program is corrupted, because I tried starting a new project from scratch and it acts the same. I think I'm going to have to reinstall the program. I tried resetting the preferences and it didn't help. Why did I do this with two separate elements instead of doing everything in the title? I got used to doing it that way a long time ago because I thought at the time that it gave me greater flexibility. Maybe that's not true. However, that shouldn't have caused these kinds of issues.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:30 pm

Dave Could the lasso effect be causing the layers to somehow be placed out of order? Or could you have inadvertently changed the opacity of the text to 100% ?

Have you tried holding the shift key and selecting the clips then just drag to move them?

Lately I have been creating my texts in Photoshop then importing into the project.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:14 pm

sidd finch wrote:Dave Could the lasso effect be causing the layers to somehow be placed out of order? Or could you have inadvertently changed the opacity of the text to 100% ?

Regarding the order of the clips layers (tracks), I did check that. Actually, text opacity should be at 100%, and it is. But the strange thing is that if I even move the text opacity to 99% the text disappears completely. If I disable the rectangle, leaving the title untouched, the text disappears completely. If I move the rectangle even a single frame on the timeline the text disappears completely. And as I mentioned above, I can't even create new titles with text now. As soon as I have time I think I'm going to have to reinstall.

Have you tried holding the shift key and selecting the clips then just drag to move them?

Tried it, same results.

Lately I have been creating my texts in Photoshop then importing into the project.

I hope I won't need to do that, but will keep it in mind. I've had some strange things happen with this program over the years, but this is a first. I hope it doesn't turn out to be pilot error. That would be really embarrassing. :oops:

Dave McElderry

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:48 am

Reinstalled PrEl 11 this morning. Everything's back to normal and working as it should. It's problems like this that have boggled the great minds of science and made them soft. Thanks for your efforts Steve and Sidd.
:-5

Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:09 pm

Glad to know that you were able to fix the issue... :YY:

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:47 pm

:TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 11