They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Slide Shows

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Slide Shows

Postby iop » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:47 pm

I am doing a combination slide show and video project. When using 1000 x 750 photos in the slide show option and bring the slide show over into the editor, the photos do not fill the screen. But if I just do a project and bring in the 1000 x 750 photos the do fill the screen. Can you clarify for me ? Note: what I want to do is create several different slide shows and then put together in a project along with video. Thanks
iop

Re: Slide Shows

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:08 am

Do you have Scale to Frame Size checked on the Preferences/General page?

Also, what are your Project Settings (which you'll find under the Edit menu)?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby iop » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:11 pm

I assume you are referring to the project page:

General: DV NTSC and 29.99 Frames/sec

Preference: Default scale to frame size is unchecked.
iop

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:48 pm

If Default Scale to Frame Size in unchecked WHEN YOU IMPORT THE PHOTOS INTO YOUR PROJECT, then the photos will be about 30% larger than your video frame. (Video frame: 720x480 -- Photo: 1000x750).

In your initial question, you say "I am doing a combination slide show and video project. When using 1000 x 750 photos in the slide show option and bring the slide show over into the editor." I assume you mean you're using the slideshow creator in the Elements Organizer.

When you add photos to the Organizer's slideshow creator, they will be automatically scaled to the size of the frame. You don't say if your 720x480 video is widescreen or not but, if it is widescreen, then your photos will not fill the frame because your photos are 4:3 and your frame is 16:9 -- so your photos are tall enough but not wide enough to fill the video frame.

Is that the case and is that what you're seeing when you say the photos don't "fill the screen"?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby iop » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:13 pm

Yes, I am using the SLIDE SHOW CREATOR in the Elements Organizer.

What I am saying is that when I start a new project, before adding any video to it, I am adding (actually editing the slide show that was created) to the new project. The slide show photos do not fill (both vertically and horizontally) the Monitor both in the slide show and after being added to the project. (NOTE the photos used in the slide show are resized to 1000 x 750). But when I add a resized photo (from file or Organizer) the 1000 x 750 resized photo does fill the Monitor.

So apparently this means that I can not use a slide show in a new project if I want it to show full screen on a typical HDTV? I had wanted to do the project so that I could put together slide shows along with video to show full screen on a HDTV.
iop

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:20 pm

Right-click on one of the photos on your timeline that does not fill your screen. Is Scale to Frame Size checked on its right-click context menu?

If so, double-check the Project Settings under the Edit menu. A 1000x750 photo will definitely fill (and more) a 720x480 video frame.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby iop » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:14 pm

I do not have Scale To Frame Size option when I right click on photos on the time line. I am using PRE 11.
iop

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:20 am

Something doesn't make sense, then. Either your photo sizes are wrong or your project settings are wrong.

If you are using Add Media/From Files and Folders to import a 1000x750 picture into a 720x480 project without Scale to Frame Size checked, the photo will be 30% larger than the video frame.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby iop » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:09 am

I am totally confused. When producing a new project, regardless of what project settings are used, the same photo used in the project or in the slide show will not fill the monitor when used in the slide show but when added as an individual photo will fill the monitor. Plus when that project is burned to DVD the results are the same: the slide show photo does not fill the monitor (or TV) but the individual photo does. Regardless of project settings, why does the project treat the slide show photos differently (in size) than the individually added photos.

When setting project settings I thought that the settings applies to Video media NOT still (photo) media used in the project. If this is not correct, then where do I find the project settings for photos when doing a project?

I must be missing something somewhere and appreciate your helping me sort this out.
iop

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:05 pm

Project Settings are the settings for the project that you're adding all of your media to. Which you say is 720x480 pixels.

Whatever media -- photo or videos -- you add to your project will be put inside that 720x480 project. If your media is larger than 720x480 (a 1000x1500 px photo for instance) is will be larger than your video's frame.

The exceptions are:
* When you have Scale to Frame Size checked, in which case the media will be squeezed down to fit in your frame; or
* When you add a photo to the Organizer slideshow creator, in which case it is ported over to Premiere Elements at your Project Settings size.

I'm not sure how else to explain it, iop.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby iop » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:23 pm

That helps - however I guess that means there is no way to create several slide shows in the organizer and then join them with video and output a widescreen project. Are there any premiere elements software upgrade that do this ?

I guess I will not be using the slide show option any more. I liked a lot of features it provided and I had made several projects using that procedure but was disappointed in the small screen outputs. Thanks again for your help.
iop

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:47 pm

iop wrote:I am doing a combination slide show and video project. When using 1000 x 750 photos in the slide show option and bring the slide show over into the editor, the photos do not fill the screen. But if I just do a project and bring in the 1000 x 750 photos the do fill the screen. Can you clarify for me ? Note: what I want to do is create several different slide shows and then put together in a project along with video. Thanks

You wrote that you are using PRE11 for your overall project.

If what you want to do is "create several different slide shows and then put together in a project along with video," I would create the slide shows, one by one, in PRE11 and then output the timeline of each of them in the desired format

After each slide show has been outputted, import each of them onto the PRE11 timeline in a new project where desired, interspersed with your stills where desired, then re-output this final project in the desired format.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to PRE Version 11