They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Missing Files

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Missing Files

Postby iop » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:37 pm

Unfortunately I have moved my media files from C Drive to D drive in w 8.1. When I go into ORGANISER and select PROJECTS then select a specific PROJECT there are no photos and videos that open - only music files.

Then when I go into VIDEO EDITOR and try to open an existing project the same condition exists - no photos or videos but music files ok. - It then asks where is a specific file at. Then when you browse for that file it does open but the program asks about the next file - where its at.

So what do I need to do to correct these issues ?

Thanks.
iop

Re: Missing Files

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:46 pm

Are all of your media files in the same folder? If so, when you locate one for a project, the program should automatically find the rest for that same project.

If your media files are in several different folders and you've moved them from the C drive to the D drive, well, things get a bit more complicated. There's no batch way to reconnect them to your original project.

I'm not sure there is a way to move your media files from one location to another and have them retain their links to your project file -- short of using the Project Archiver to move the project and your media all at once. But that only works on one project at a time.

You could have used the Organizer to move your files from one place to another rather than your operating system. That would have maintained the integrity of your Organizer catalog, but it would not have maintained the links between your projects and your media.

In short, it's best to leave your media where it is until you're done with our projects. Then, to keep your Organizer catalog from falling apart, use your Organizer to move your files from place to place.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby iop » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:56 pm

Unfortunately all the media files are in more than one folder. The only other way I have thought about doing was to move all my media files back to C Drive. I had moved them as my C drive was getting full but D Drive was mostly empty. I don't know why the computer came setup this way or else I goofed and missed something when I first bought the computer couple of years ago.

I had not moved any files around while rendering my original PROJECTS but now wanted to re-do some of those video projects.

Thanks.
iop

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:16 pm

Sorry, iop. I think you've got a bit of a mess on your hands.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby iop » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:33 pm

As a follow on to the question of missing files. I have been trying to reconnect the files but apparently the organizer requires reconnecting of all files that are in the Organizer before any of the projects will open with files. Is there any way I can use my existing finalized DVD that has the slide show on it ( plus titles and music ) and then re edit the slide show for a new project?
iop

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:17 pm

Sort of, but not really. You won't be editing your slideshow. You'll be editing video. Which might work or be easier than locating all of your photos again. Depends on how much editing you're going to do.

That said, I know of no reason you'd have to reconnect all of the files in the Organizer before you can re-open any of your projects. Assuming you're opening your project in Premiere Elements rather than trying to open them from the Organizer. The process of relinking files is separate for each program.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby iop » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:46 pm

In reference to missing files - I have RECONNECTED all files that were missing in the ORGANIZER. However - when I open say a "FILE A" in the ORGANIZER all the files are there. However when I open a "PROJECT" file in the ORGANIZER which includes "FILE A" as part of the PROJECT file - all the photos are missing. Only the music and titles are there.

PROJECT files in the ORGANIZER consist of audio, photos videos and music. These PROJECTS consisted of more than one "FILE A" ie such as FILE B and so forth.

When trying to open a PROJECT file in VIDEO EDITOR it asks where missing files are at.

HELP !
iop

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:20 pm

That would be correct. Whether or not the files are linked to the Organizer catalog has nothing to do with whether or not the media files are linked to a Premiere Elements project.

As I said in my last post, I know of no reason you'd have to reconnect all of the files in the Organizer before you can re-open any of your projects. The process of relinking files is separate for each program.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 11