They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

IE-friendly output from PRE for Mac?

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

IE-friendly output from PRE for Mac?

Postby JayJay34 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:34 pm

Hi all, I am using PRE V. 11 on a Mac and have made a slideshow. It is to go on a web page. I saved it as MP4 and put it on the page, and it is fine when viewed in on a Mac and on mobile devices. No dice on Windows. I am okay with making a *.wmv file to put alongside the MP4 one. Looks like saving as a *.wmv is not available for PRE for Macs, grrrr. But, not to be discouraged, I have Parallels, so I can run Windows on the Mac. I go to Parallels, start Windows, and install Windows Movie Maker 2.6, thinking I can import the MP4 there and output the WMV. Nope, can't find a format that Movie Maker likes as input!

Yes, I know it would be easier to use YouTube, etc. Yes, I have googled, and find long things about using Handbrake, Ogg, etc. etc. I do web pages for a living so know my way around HTML very well (though not video on the web, obviously). But really, isn't there some kind of output option in PRE 11 for Mac that will make a Windows and web-friendly output file? Help me out, experts! --JayJay
JayJay34
New User
New User

Re: IE-friendly output from PRE for Mac?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:48 pm

You don't say which Publish & Share template you used -- but the MP4 is considered pretty universal. Any well maintained PC should be able to play them.

I certainly wouldn't bother with creating a WMV as an alternative. MP4s are much nicer. And, should the PC user not have Quicktime installed on his or her computer, any decent web browser should prompt them to install it to play your movie.

And, hey, Jayjay, welcome to Muvipix!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby JayJay34 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:41 pm

Hi Steve, Thanks for your reply. I couldn't tell you what template it was - I tried many and made up a few! I think I tried to make it a plain vanilla MP4, H.264. The file size is 12 MB, image size 640x360, 29.97, duration is 1:39.

Hoping someone else can weigh in on the web issue, as I do not want to ask people to install software. Some cannot figure out how, and some are on work computers that prohibit their installing anything, unfortunately!
JayJay34
New User
New User

Postby JayJay34 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:53 pm

Okay, here's my temporary solution: I downloaded ffmpeg and did (at the Mac/OS X command line)
ffmpeg -i inputfilehere.mp4 -qscale 2 outputfilehere.swf
which made a *.swf file of about the same size. Then I used code similar to this: http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_object.asp to put the two files into the web page, putting the *.mp4 first, as I think iPads/iPhones require that. It works, though the video shows twice in Chrome on my Mac. Maybe some browser-detection code will fix that.

Steve, I got your Guide to PREL 11 . Have just launched into it, but it looks very good. Sometimes you need an actual book in your hand when learning new software! Next project: learning keyframing/Ken Burns stuff.
JayJay34
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:23 am

I'm all for simple solutions, JayJay. I'd just use Publish & Share/Computer/AVCHD with the YouTube or Vimeo preset. This will give you a great-looking, web-quality mp4. Although I understand that you would need to get into the Advanced settings to create a video that's the right size to fit into your HTML window.

But your solution would certainly be an option, if you don't mind the extra steps.

And, hey, thanks for picking up a copy of our book! Hope it helps you over the learning curve!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 11