They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Shapes in Titles

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Shapes in Titles

Postby Ned789 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:42 pm

I am creating a video in Premiere Elements 11 on a Mac. I am adding titles to most of my still shot clips to say who the people are in the photo. Because titles don't show up very well in many cases, I would like to add a rectangle shape behind the title at the bottom of the screen so you can read it easier. I can make my title fade in and out, but the shapes just sit there. Can I make the shapes fade in and out with the title??
Ned789
New User
New User

Re: Shapes in Titles

Postby momoffduty » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:38 pm

Are the shapes in the title or did you make them separately? If in the same Title (words & shape) then they are one unit in the time line. If you made the shapes separately then just add a cross dissolve on the ends in the timeline. This is a one sided dissolve.

For example:
When I have a separate Title (words) and a Title (shape) then I line up the length in the timeline to match the duration. Then add a cross dissolve to each end so they will fade in and out at the same time.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:48 pm

I would like to add a rectangle shape behind the title at the bottom of the screen so you can read it easier. I can make my title fade in and out, but the shapes just sit there. Can I make the shapes fade in and out with the title??

The easiest way is to simply add the rectangle to the title instead of making it a separate layer. That way, whatever you do to the title will affect both the text and the shape.

While you are making your title, select the rectangle or rounded rectangle shape tool and then click and drag in the monitor window to add it to the title, you will be able to position it, resize it, and select the color. If the rectangle is hiding the text, you can change the stacking order by selecting the rectangle and typing command [ (for mac) or ctrl [ (for windows) to move it down in the stacking order. Use command ] (ctrl ]) to move it up in the order.

For subsequent titles, you can select the title in the media bin, right click and select duplicate, and then modify the text. That way, you will have consistent size location and color.
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:58 pm

Good advice Bob! That is the best and easiest way. :)
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Ned789 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:39 pm

Please be more specific about adding the rectangle to the title. I have tried and tried, but just can't make it work. If the title is selected then the rectangle won't drag onto it. When I finally click away from the title box and then add a rectangle, the two are not connected. Thank you for your help, you make it sound very easy, and I like the duplicating idea.
Ned789
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:50 pm

Ned, if you are in the Titles Adjustments workspace, any imagery or shapes you add will be part of the same finished title clip.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:05 pm

The first section is about adding a shape to a title with the tools.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereele ... 6B629.html
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Return to PRE Version 11