They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Keyframing on a Portrait Photo

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Keyframing on a Portrait Photo

Postby Ned789 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:54 am

I am creating a slideshow in Premiere Elements 11 on a Mac. I have several photos which are in a portrait format. I would like to Pan and Zoom on these photos or "move around" in some way, but I found I lose too much of the photo if I use the Pan and Zoom feature; maybe I just don't know how to do it correctly. Can I use Keyframing for this purpose? I have read both of Steve's books, but I still need more help. I'm definitely a newbie. Are there any tutorials available on this issue?
Ned789
New User
New User

Re: Keyframing on a Portrait Photo

Postby Bob » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:13 am

Can I use Keyframing for this purpose?

You certainly can. Place the photo on the timeline. Position the current time indicator (CTI) to the beginning of the photo. Open the Applied Effects panel and locate "Motion". There will be an icon on that line that looks like a clock. That's a toggle that turns keyframing on and off. Click on it to turn it on. If the photo in the monitor does not have a border with handles on it, click on the "Motion" line. Once you can see the border and handles, click on the photo in the monitor and drag it to where you want the pan and zoom to begin. If necessary, drag on the handles to zoom in or out. You've just set the beginning keyframes. Now move the CTI in the timeline to the end of the photo. Click on the photo in the monitor and drag it to where you want it to end. Zoom in or out as desired. You've now set the end keyframes. Play back the timeline to see the motion.

Take a look at the "ib-Premiere Elements 11 - Basic Training (part 6 of 8)" tutorial in the complementary section. Watch the entire tutorial, Steve demonstrates working with the handles on the monitor at about 3:45.
Bob

Re: Keyframing on a Portrait Photo

Postby momoffduty » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:53 am

If you only zoom a little you will have black space on either side of the photo. An option would be to place a motion background on the track below, or a color matte, or the same photo enlarged with an effect like blur and lower the opacity.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Return to PRE Version 11