They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Required to Re-render after each close

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Required to Re-render after each close

Postby MJK1250 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:42 pm

All
I'm about 20 hours into what I thought would be a pretty simple project but every time I close PRE11 (after rendering and saving my project) and then re-open my existing project I have to re-render 5 of the seven clips on the timeline.

The project (so far) includes only seven clips with a total running time of under 15 minutes - no titles, no transitions, no photos and no audio - all to be added after I get additional clips onto the timeline and edited.

Upon set-up, my project was saved to a folder on my desktop as advised in Steve's book. As I drag a clip from my Project Assets to my timeline, I add effects and make adjustments and then highlight the clip and render it. All goes well and the green line shows above the timeline for that clip and all the preceding clips that I have previously rendered.

I read an earlier post that discussed Media Cache and so I went to preferences and sure enough under Scratch Discs, my Media Cache showed "Custom" rather than "Same as Project". I changed it to "Same as Project" and then yet again, re-rendered the five clips that needed it. Saved the project, closed it, and upon re-opening it, the first two clips on my timeline display as rendered and the final five clips show as needing to be re-rendered - plus the Media Cache reverted back to "Custom".

I also saw something in a post about the location of the clips. My original clips are located on an external hard drive but of course were dragged from there to my Project Assets panel. Could this be the problem (shouldn't be because the first two clips on my timeline - also located on the external hard drive - continue to show the green line after I close the project and then re-open it) and if so would simply moving the original clips from the external hard drive to my desktop solve the problem?

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong because it doesn't make sense that I'd have to re-render every time I close the project - it will take me months to finish this one project if that's the case.

My system is:
Windows 7
Dual Core CPU
64-bit OS
4 GB RAM

I'd be very grateful for any help or suggestions.

MJK
MJK1250

Re: Required to Re-render after each close

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:23 pm

Where are your storing your .prel project files? Are they on your external drive?

It is quite likely your external drive is the problem. Or, more specifically, how Windows is mapping your external drive. Every time you reboot or reconnect the drive, Windows isn't sure if it's the same drive or a different drive -- and that could well be confusing the connection between your project and the files.

The solution is to open Windows' Disk Management and then assign a drive letter to your external. Once you've done that, Windows should recognize it as the same drive every time you access it.

It doesn't matter if your .prel project files are on your primary or a secondary drive. But I do recommend you put your .prel file in its own folder whenever you start a new project. It helps to keep all of its backup files (including Render Files) in a nice, neat little package.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby MJK1250 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:58 pm

Steve
Thanks so much for the quick reply.

When I started this project, as per your recommendation I selected the Browse option and created a new folder located on my desktop called "Old Family Vids". I just checked it and it has the following folders in it:
Adobe Premiere Elements Auto Save
Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files
Encoded Files
Layouts
Media Cache
Old Family Vids.log
Old Family Vids.prel

However, the Media Cache folder is empty.

My external drive is labeled My Book (E:) and is always connected, so I don't think that's the problem.

Don't have any idea why the Media Cache folder is empty or why the Scratch Disc Media Cache project preferences keep reverting to Custom?

Still very confused.

MJK
MJK1250

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:51 pm

MJK,

Did you use the Video Stabilizer effect on the clips that need to be rendered again? If so, that effect is the cause. It's been like that for the last 3 versions. Also, if you use a Photoshop .PSD image, then you will have to render that segment again.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby MJK1250 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:06 pm

RJ

God I hope you're right. I just checked my project and all of the clips that have to be re-rendered each time I close the project have all been "Smart Fixed". I had set the project preferences so that any project would automatically Auto Analyze all my clips and then of course when I dragged a clip to the timeline and the pop up box "Fix Quality Problems in Clips" appeared, I naturally checked "Yes". I've just reread the section in Steve's book on Smart Fix and I see that if PRE 11 determines the clip is too shaky it will apply automatic image stabilization.

I've now reset all the clips to which I had applied Smart Fix and I'll try again to render them, close the project and reopen it where I really, really hope they will have remained rendered.

If that works then I'm very grateful to you although still annoyed that Adobe hasn't fixed this problem if it has been ongoing for three versions.

Other than this terrific forum, how the hell would anyone ever know that this is cause of the problem.

Thanks again and I'll let you know if it works.

MJK
MJK1250

Postby MJK1250 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:40 pm

RJ

Just a follow-up. I couldn't sleep without knowing, so I re-rendered after unchecking Smart Fix, saved and closed the project, crossed my fingers and re-opened and HOORAY that beautiful green line was over my entire project.

Muchas Muchas Gras.

Steve, if you happen to read this post I'd urge you (if you haven't already) to include a note in any upcoming Muvipix Guides to Premiere Elements to the potential for having to continually re-render if a project uses the Smart Fix. Just a thought that would be very helpful to your readers.

MJK
MJK1250

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:30 am

That's an interesting bug! But as always, Robert nails it.

Glad you were able to find a workaround, MJK.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ron Hunter » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:05 am

This is an interesting thread and I'm glad I stumbled across it. I was planning to try the "guided edit" feature of PRE12 but the notion of automatically applied effects requiring re-rendering has me spooked. Guess I'll keep editing "old school".
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:08 pm

Guided Edits are not automatic edits, Ron. They just walk you through the process of doing edits, adding titles, etc.

The process is the same as if you were doing it manually.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ron Hunter » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:45 am

Thanks Steve!
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to PRE Version 11