They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

audio

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

audio

Postby Bubby Grub » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:34 pm

Hi All,
Quick question if I may, I have a music track under some video and while I am working on the video audio which I need to edit slightly, I came up with the idea that I could mute the music track for the time being with the audio mixer, but when I place the tick in the box
it stays put till I exit it but once I click out the tick disappears, what am I doing wrong, or is it not possible to do it that way.
Thanks in Advance BG :)
When all else fails, Hug your Teddy.
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: audio

Postby Gerlinde » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:41 am

There are different ways to do that. You could just grab the yellow ( or black ) line inside the audio track (depending which display style you use ) and move it down. Once you are done, move it back up.
Or highlight your clip, click on Adjust > Volume and move the slider to the left. Once you are done go back to Volume and hit Reset.
Sound.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A) i7-3930K 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo), 32GB DDR3-1600, SSD 256GB, 2x1TB+2x2TB Seagate Barracuda (72krpm), Geforce GTX 550 Ti (1GB), Win10 Pro 64-bit
B) Sony Vaio i7-3632QM,12gb DDR3-1333MHz, GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB), 750GB (7200rpm), Win10 Pro64-bit
Gerlinde

Postby Bubby Grub » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:59 am

Hi Gerlinde,

Yep I know I can do that, but I guess I was just wondering why if I hit the check box 'mute' in the audio mixer why it
didn't work, just was doing a little investigating and figured I would try that for a change and was at a loss as to why the tick
disappeared. Thanks anyway for the thought BG :-D
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:40 am

That's the way it's designed to work. The mute function in the audio mixer only mutes a track while in the mixer. It's a temporary mute and doesn't affect the status of the track outside the mixer. The tick marks are lost when the mixer is closed.

You could change the volume of a clip by keyframing or dragging the volume line in the clip, but you wouldn't want to do that if you've already made adjustments to the clip.

The best bet would be to mute the audio in the timeline. Premiere Pro has a track mute feature, but Premiere Elements does not. You can, however, mute a clip. If the clip is a standalone audio clip, select it and right click to get the menu and click on enable. That will mute the clip. Repeat the process to unmute the clip. If the audio is linked to video, Alt-click on the audio portion of the clip to select just the audio portion and then right click to get the menu.
Bob

Postby Bubby Grub » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:57 am

Thanks Bob now I follow, and yes that is exactly what I was after, in this case the audio I want to mute
for the time being is a standalone and clicking the enable works great. BG \:D/
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to PRE Version 11