They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Project files usage between 2 computers

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Project files usage between 2 computers

Postby dsttexas » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:20 am

Situation:

I have about a dozen VHS family video tapes - a big project! I do not know how many output DVD's I'm targeting, or which VHS tapes and contents might be grouped until I get everything loaded, or whether this should start out as one big "PrEl project", or make each VHS a separate project and pull as needed between projects to fill DVD's. I have 2 year old desktop and newer desktop replacement type laptop. Desktop has firewire port for capturing analogue to digital via Canopus. More powerful laptop (core i7, 6Gig, Win7 64bit) is preferred for doing editing but has no firewire. Have an external 1TB hardrive (USB3.0 with laptop). I do not intend to do much more than just capture on the desktop, and do everything else on the laptop.

Questions:

1.Should I tell PrEl on desktop to set project file and capturing directly to the external disk, do all my captures of each tape into own subfolder on external, then mount external on laptop and expect to have everything there to open the project file(s) and start editing?

2. Or, should I capture on desktop internal file, Project Archive the project(s) to the external, then move to the laptop and open archived project file(s).

3. Should I hold off on the Media Analyzing (ie split clips by content) until I move external disk to laptop for editing etc.?

4. Any other suggestions before proceeding on this size project?

Thanks all,
Don
Dell Vostro quad core i7, 6GB, Win 10 64 bit, latest service levels. Sony Movie Studio 12, DVD Arch Studio 5, Adobe Premiere Elements 14.
dsttexas

Re: Project files usage between 2 computers

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:47 am

I would keep your project files and captured video right on the external drive, Don. That way you open the project files on whatever computer you're connected to at the time. With USB 3, your laptop should be able to access the external drive pretty much as if it were an internal drive.

It doesn't matter if you split by content when you first capture or once you've got all of the captures done. But if you split by content when you're capturing, you'll have to wait for the media analyzer to go through every video after every capture -- which, if you've got a lot of video to capture, might drive you crazy.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 11