They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Stabilizing DV-AVI with Mercalli 2.0 in PRE11

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Stabilizing DV-AVI with Mercalli 2.0 in PRE11

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed May 08, 2013 3:04 am

There's a problem when stabilizing DV-AVI with the Mercalli 2.0 plugin, jittery is the word. The clip isn't stabilized correctly unless "Always Deinterlace" is selected (right-click clip on timeline > Field Options > Always Deinterlace). You can select that option either before or after you stabilize the clip. If you select it before you stabilize, you can then select the "progressive" option in the Mercalli plugin, which makes for even faster stabilization.

I wondered how Mercalli 2.0 worked in Pre3. It worked without turning on "always deinterlace." The clip, however, was deinterlaced somewhere behind the scenes. After exporting the clip to MPEG-2 LFF, I played it back and compared the video to the MPEG-2 LFF output from Pre11. They looked the same, and as if they were deinterlaced.

So, now I know what I need to do to prepare a DV-AVI clip for stabilization in Pre11, but how do you handle AVCHD UFF interlaced video that you want to stabilize with Mercalli 2.0 in Pre11? I don't have a camera that shoots in that format, so I can't test it out thoroughly. I'm curious to know if you need to turn on "always deinterlace" with those interlaced AVCHD clips before stabilizing with Mercalli 2.0. After stabilizing, you'll need to export to a UFF interlaced format with the same dimensions as the source.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to PRE Version 11