They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Struggling with "Unknown Error" in Facebook upload.

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Struggling with "Unknown Error" in Facebook upload.

Postby mercurycoach » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:41 am

Any thoughts on my problem?

I've been going through a rash of upload troubles with edited videos being uploaded to Facebook.

One video I attempted probably no less than 5 times to upload, it goes through the entire process until the last moment when the successful upload message shows up, and I get the dreaded "Unknown Error" (attempted multiple times over multiple days, after computer shut downs and restarts etc).

I've successfully uploaded a bunch of videos over time, including one in the middle of 2 separate problem videos.

Any thoughts and assistance will be welcomed!
Running 64 bit Windows 7 on an HP Pavilion a6750f, 2.3 GHz AMD Phenom X4 9650, 8 gigs RAM and 1 TB hard drive. Coming soon - USB 3.0 card to accommodate a 3 TB Seagate external hard drive.
mercurycoach
New User
New User

Re: Struggling with "Unknown Error" in Facebook upload.

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:23 pm

If your computer is shutting down and restarting when you try to upload to Facebook, that could indicate something more serious than a software problem. Quite possibly a heat issue or a defective power supply.

If you use Publish & Share/Computer/AVCHD with the Vimeo SD preset and then upload that manually to Facebook, does that work?

Facebook is a very busy site, like YouTube. And sometimes the traffic flows more smoothly than others.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mercurycoach » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:39 pm

No shutdown problems whatsoever. I've got a AMD quad core desktop, 8 gigs of RAM and more than 1/2 of my 1TB hard drive available.

I've tried at all times of the day, mostly during workday hours, and the timing seems to make no difference.

I just tried an upload directly from within my Facebook page, rather than post launch of Premiere and post editing sharing button.

I got no error message and the last message from Facebook was that they are "processing" my video.

I'll report back if that's successful.
Running 64 bit Windows 7 on an HP Pavilion a6750f, 2.3 GHz AMD Phenom X4 9650, 8 gigs RAM and 1 TB hard drive. Coming soon - USB 3.0 card to accommodate a 3 TB Seagate external hard drive.
mercurycoach
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:56 pm

What model of camcorder is your source video coming from and what format and resolution is it? What are your Premiere Elements project settings?

The process of loading to a web site has two phases: The initial rendering/transcoding of the project and the actual uploading to the site. Can you tell in which phase your Publish & Share your computer is failing?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mercurycoach » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:10 pm

My camera is a Canon Vixia HFM50.

I record my videos in the highest HD resolution possible onto an SD card. I then load the videos into the Elements Organizer from which I launch into Premiere.

I've edited and uploaded numerous videos with this combo onto Facebook over the last several months until this problem cropped up a few weeks ago.

My upload directly from my Facebook page was 100% successful today! HD quality and all.

The exact same unedited video I had unsuccessfully tried to upload from using the Premiere Share function. When attempting to share through Premiere it goes through all of the rendering step and uploading steps (taking the usual time) and it's at the last moment when I have previously been launched into Facebook that I get the dreaded "Unknown Error" message.

I noticed when I picked the video file to upload within my Facebook page it began the upload with a .mts file. While I have somewhat of a grasp on the different file formats I do admit it's a bit beyond me at the moment.
mercurycoach
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:26 pm

Don't get too hung up on file suffixes. They can be confusing.

The .mts file you created was an mp4, and hence the ideal file format for uploading to YouTube, Vimeo and Facebook!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to PRE Version 11