They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Capture Device Offline - No HDV Camera Detected

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Capture Device Offline - No HDV Camera Detected

Postby JBCoons » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:02 pm

I have no problem using PRE3 on my WinXP PC capturing video via Firewire from my miniDV Canon HV40 camera. I have PRE11 on my Win7(64-bit) PC but when I try capturing video on it I get the message "Capture Device Offline." Win7 see the camera (even recognizes it as an HV40). I have done everything I can think of - changed the IEEE1394 driver on Win7 to "Legacy" - rebooted with the camera attached and turned on - and no other Firewire device is attached. What have I overlooked? Surely it is me and not PRE11?
JBCoons
New User
New User

Re: Capture Device Offline - No HDV Camera Detected

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:23 pm

Are you able to capture using the free utility HDV Split?

This will determine if the problem is with Premiere Elements or with your system.

(Note that your camcorder is an HDV high-def camcorder, although you refer to it as a miniDV. If you are using your camcorder in standard definition mode, be sure to indicate that because that could be a factor also.)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:20 pm

Your camera should have a setting that indicates weather it is passing STD DEF (DV) or High Def (HDV) once you have that squared away you need to make sure your inporting to HDV if you choose that option.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby JBCoons » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:43 pm

sidd finch wrote:Your camera should have a setting that indicates weather it is passing STD DEF (DV) or High Def (HDV) once you have that squared away you need to make sure your inporting to HDV if you choose that option.

That was the problem... probably... I changed that option on the camera and changed to Firewire driver to a Texas Instrument driver. (The camera was set to pass either SD or HD depending what it read from the tape - I changed it to HD. Another camera option was to playback either HD or SD - I changed that also to HD). It did capture the HD video. I then tried a SD tape and captured its video with another project.

Thanks!
JBCoons
New User
New User

Postby JBCoons » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:54 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Are you able to capture using the free utility HDV Split?

I was finally successful capturing HDV with PRE11, and while it was being captured I remembered that PE cannot split the HDV stream into clips based on timecode. Bummer, as I MUST have that capability. I understand that HDV Split has that functionality, but when I found the download for it I see that Win7 is not listed as an O/S. Can it be run under Win7?
JBCoons
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:24 pm

I am not aware that Premiere Elements won't split scenes based on timecode. Does anyone know for a fact that that is the case?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby JBCoons » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:15 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:I am not aware that Premiere Elements won't split scenes based on timecode. Does anyone know for a fact that that is the case?

Steve - When I openned up the capture window (F5) in PRE11 for SD, I had the option option below for splitting scenes by Timecode or Content -
SD Capture.JPG

When I openned up the capture window (F5) in PRE11 for HDV, the button for Tmecode was grayed out and I could not select it -
HDV Capture.JPG

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JBCoons
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 11