They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Auto color and temporal smoothing

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Auto color and temporal smoothing

Postby wsomersma2000 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:01 pm

Hi,
I shot some video underwater without any filters. The auto color tool seems to do the best job at somewhat restoring the natural colors but as the video plays the auto color adjustment varies and creats a flickering effect. I want to try the temporal smoothing but cant figure out how to set it. There doesnt seem to be a slider available that I've seen in screen shots of earlier versions.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
wsomersma2000
New User
New User

Re: Auto color and temporal smoothing

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:41 pm

Since Adobe moved the Auto Color effect to the Adjustments panel in version 11, I'm not sure you can do temporal smoothing anymore. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're doing.

Have you tried manually adjusting your colors or color temperatures rather than using the Auto Color tool?

It's very hard to give you any specific advise without seeing your footage, of course, and seeing how much correction it needs and how much this color correction varies over time.

A more powerful tool for fixing color is the Three-Way Color Corrector in the Video Effects. It would allow you to keyframe your various color correction levels over the course of your clip.

But, again, it's hard to say since I'm not sure what you're trying to correct. Do you have much experience with color correction?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby wsomersma2000 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:26 am

I havnt been able to get results that are as nice as autocolor with the manual adjustments but I guess I will have to try those again.

The temporal smoothing is odd since it is still mentioned in the manual. If you use autocolor and then click on the text at the top of the clip, an autocolor (also motion and opacity) dialog box appears and you can select temporal smoothing but I cant find out what that does or how to change the values.

A sample video is on Vimeo with ID 54521944

It doesnt have much red as a result of being filmed underwater without filters or lights.
wsomersma2000
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:30 am

Are you sure you're using version 11, wsomersma?

I can't find the Auto Color video effect. The only Auto Color I'm aware of is a setting on the Adjustments/Color panel.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby wsomersma2000 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:37 pm

I do have version 11.
I select the clip.
Then "adjust"
Then expand "Color"
"Auto Color" is button that I can use.

After that at the top of the clip is the name of the clip. Followed by Opacity:Opacity with a small triangle. If I click on the triangle a box appears with motion, opacity and auto color. If I select aoto color, one of the options is "temporal smoothing". I can select it but it doesnt seem to do anything.
wsomersma2000
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:32 am

It sounds like you're working on hybrid effect -- Auto Color isn't quite an effect (so you can't adjust it in the Applied Effects panel) and it's not entirely an adjustment either. So you're not going to be able to adjust temporal smoothing for it. (Well, you CAN. But it involves adding keyframes on the timeline -- and it's probably not going to be the adjustment you're looking for. Basically, when you set the drop-down menu on your clip to Auto Color/Temporal Smoothing, the horizontal line that goes through the clip is your Temporal Smoothing level -- which you can raise, lower or keyframe.)

As I said, I think in version 11, you'll be much better off using a Video Effect (in particular, the Three-Way Color Corrector) or a manually applied Adjustment rather than Auto Color. Though, as I said, it's hard to be specific since I can't see your video and I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to do.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby wsomersma2000 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:00 am

Thanks Steve. I did spend some more time with manual color adjustments and came up with some pretty nice results. Mostly by boosting up the red in the video.
wsomersma2000
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:09 pm

Great news, wsomersma!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:29 pm

You can gain access to "Auto Color - Temporal Smoothing" by selecting that item from the drop-down list on the clip on the timeline. I haven't had time to see if it actually has any effect. You need to be keyframming the "Color" adjustment settings, after which "Auto Color" properties will be populated in the drop-down list.

Temporal Smoothing.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to PRE Version 11