They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Taskbar issue

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 11.

Taskbar issue

Postby Svein Berger » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:14 am

Hi, all.
I'm using taskbar on the left of my desktop.
When I open Pre 11 it's left side is under the taskbar. I have to either move the program or maximize it every time.
I understand this is not a big issue, but..

I have an example below.
Prel 11.gif

Does anyone have a soluotion, or is this a bug?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Svein
-- Canon Legria HF M52, Canon HV20 --
Svein Berger
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Taskbar issue

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:31 am

Yes, that's just the nature of the Task Bar.

But you could set it to hide and only appear when you hover your mouse over the edge of your screen.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Svein Berger » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:51 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:Yes, that's just the nature of the Task Bar.

I do not agree with you. The main window size itself correctly. But it is placed wrong on the desktop.

If the taskbar is at the bottom of the desktop, everything works normal.
The program does not put itself underneath the taskbar.
If I extend the taskbar to be higher than default, the program still works as expected.
ScreenHunter_02 Nov. 11 16.47.gif

As a programmer, I would have made ​​the code to work correctly regardless of the location of the taskbar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Svein
Svein Berger
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:01 am

I don't have a Windows 7 machine available now but I do have XP.
There is a task bar option that says "Keep the Taskbar on top of other windows", I always have this unchecked. Is it the same in Windows 7 and is this what you are looking for Svein?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Svein Berger » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:19 am

Chuck Engels wrote:I don't have a Windows 7 machine available now but I do have XP.
There is a task bar option that says "Keep the Taskbar on top of other windows", I always have this unchecked. Is it the same in Windows 7 and is this what you are looking for Svein?

No, Chuck, that's not what I'm after. The "Keep the Taskbar on top of other windows" is not an option in Windows 7.
The program size the form correctly, if the taskbar is located on the bottom or the right side of the desktop. Even if I stretch the taskbar to a bigger size than normal. But it not support taskbar on the left and top of the desktop.
You can see an example belov. I have made the taskbar wide and the program is redusing the main form size correctly, but it is not moved to the right of the taskbar.
ScreenHunter_03 Nov. 11 17.15.gif

I can live with it, but it is not good programming.
Svein
Svein Berger
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:41 am

I'm going to have to play with my laptop later to see how that is working.
I'll let you know if I figure anything out but it is Microsoft and I wouldn't doubt that it is intended to work that way ](*,)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:35 pm

I don't have PrEl 11, but I can affirm that if I put the taskbar at the left with Win7-64 and PrEl 10 the program does behave itself and does not slide under the taskbar. It does not have to be maximized to act properly. Svein, have you tried this with an earlier version?

Chuck, I don't think it was intended to work that way.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bob » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:34 pm

I agree, they messed up the programming. I just gave it a try. I don't have PRE 11, but I do sitll have PRE 7 and it is similar. So, the problem goes way back. I would guess that very few people use the taskbar on the left and they aren't getting bug reports.

When an application is not maximized, you can slide it under the taskbar, but you should be able to position it so that it does not and it should remember the position and size from one session to another. With PRE 7 on Windows 7 64-bit, I can size the regular window to be positioned to the right of the left taskbar and it remembers the position and size as it should. But, it only remembers it after the splash screen is gone and the selected project opens. Before that, it's displaced to the left under the taskbar. Maximizing an application that honors the taskbar (games and poorly written apps may not) should fill the available screenspace without going under the taskbar. Maximizing PRE7 after the project opens properly sizes the width to the screen minus the taskbar width, but it's displaced to the left under the taskbar leaving space on the right like it thinks the taskbar is on the right. It would appear the code is not properly handling the left taskbar position. It also doesn't handle the taskbar on the top properly.

Premiere Pro CS6, on the other hand, works perfectly.
Bob

Postby Svein Berger » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:31 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:Svein, have you tried this with an earlier version?

Yes, I have tried it with PRE 10, and that version behave correctly, both left side and top taskbar. So this is a PRE 11 bug.

If an Adobe developer/employee read this, please fix it.
Svein
Svein Berger
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to PRE Version 11