They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Sony Vegas - Slow rendering

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Sony Vegas - Slow rendering

Postby besweeet » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:14 pm

I've been using Sony Vegas for years, and I've always just sat there and coped with what seems to be slow rendering times.

I'm on a 15" MacBook Pro (yeah, I know, but I have Windows on it because Sony Vegas is awesome) with a 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo, 8GB DDR3 1066MHz RAM, a 64GB SSD & a 500GB 7200RPM HDD, and an Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT).

The footage I edit is show in 1080p into a .MOV. I render it to a 720p .wmv. It usually takes 3-4x longer than the actual length of the video to render. I used to render to Sony's .mp4 thing into a 720p video, but it takes about 20% longer to render. Also, I'm rendering as "Best>Full" quality.

So is this normal? I'm not doing any fancy editing with crazy video effects or transitions.

PS: iMovie sucks, and so does Final Cut Express. I might give Premiere a try.

PS 2: The reason I'm shooting in 1080p instead of 720p is because going from 1080p>720p providers better looking quality than shooting in 720p directly, at least in my experience.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
besweeet
New User
New User

Re: Sony Vegas - Slow rendering

Postby Paul LS » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:10 am

The rendering speed is determined by the speed of your processor. Converting from the mov to wmv and also scaling will be slow. I would think 3-4x longer would be reasonable.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby JohnnyO » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:00 am

Sony Vegas renders slower that the other NLEs I use, but the results are worth the wait usually. I have a slow computer, so I just let it run overnight.

And as Paul states, it all depends on your processor speed.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby besweeet » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:11 am

I wish there was a way of editing, let's say, 5 videos, and then settings them up in a queue to render. I don't think Vegas does that?

besweeet
New User
New User

Postby knockatoone » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:23 pm

Commmnet: I went from PE7 to Sony Vegas Movie Studiio 9 in hopes of better editing and thru put of AVCHD ( and all the grief I was hearing about PE8) - and I got it - I purposely ordered a semi-monster PC (i7 w/ 9 gig ram) to do HD video editing and it does scream thru the rendering et al and burns BD as well... Earlier comment that rendering is a function of you PC capabilities is ver very true .. Cyberlink's new Power Director 9 is bragging about being 64 bit which should speed up everything ... have not tried it yet but may ..
K

knockatoone

Postby Paul LS » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:41 pm

What really speeds up rendering is a video editor being able to use the video card GPU. I have Premiere Pro CS5 which is a 64 bit application that can access the Cuda video engine on Nvida cards. Rendering is 3 or 4 times quicker than software rendering... it is pretty amazing to render with GPU off and then GPU on... you can see the progress bar just shoot across the screen.

Actually the 64bit application it self does not speed things up... access to the extra memory allows you to work on much more complication timelines without the system bogging down.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby besweeet » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:42 pm

Paul LS wrote:What really speeds up rendering is a video editor being able to use the video card GPU. I have Premiere Pro CS5 which is a 64 bit application that can access the Cuda video engine on Nvida cards. Rendering is 3 or 4 times quicker than software rendering... it is pretty amazing to render with GPU off and then GPU on... you can see the progress bar just shoot across the screen.

For me, with my 9600M GT, it makes rendering about 20% slower than just using the CPU ](*,).

Oh well. I'll live with the somewhat long rendering times like I have been. Was just becoming slightly annoying...
besweeet
New User
New User

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:29 pm

Vegas 10 is quite a bit slower than Vegas 9, at least when rendering Sony AVC. And the options to use CPU only, GPU if Available, or Automatic make no difference in rendering times. I have the NVIDIA GPU monitor running and nothing is happening except for a couple percentage points. In other apps the GPU monitor is sometimes 90%. I have a 9400GT and another 8400 GS CUDA enabled card that works perfectly with PowerDirector. Some apps don't work as well as others, it depends on the skill and knowledge of the programmers.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby besweeet » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:50 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:Vegas 10 is quite a bit slower than Vegas 9, at least when rendering Sony AVC. And the options to use CPU only, GPU if Available, or Automatic make no difference in rendering times. I have the NVIDIA GPU monitor running and nothing is happening except for a couple percentage points. In other apps the GPU monitor is sometimes 90%. I have a 9400GT and another 8400 GS CUDA enabled card that works perfectly with PowerDirector. Some apps don't work as well as others, it depends on the skill and knowledge of the programmers.

PowerDirector looks nice. I think I'll check that video editor out.

besweeet
New User
New User

Postby besweeet » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:06 pm

So my MSI GT680 showed up today (Core i7-2630QM @ 2.00GHz, GTX 460M, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 64GB SSD), and while rendering times (when using the WMV codec that I usually use) is less than 1:1, when using Sony's MPEG-4 rendering (both CPU and GPU), it's still quite slow... WMV rendering is about 4x faster than it was with my 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro, but the MPEG-4 times are still extremely disappointing.
besweeet
New User
New User

Postby besweeet » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:41 pm

I should also mention that I gave PowerDirector a try. Render times were 1.5x faster than I'd usually expect from Sony Vegas, but I didn't like the different render choices. The minimum bitrate of an AVC H.264 rendering is 13000Kbps. All of my videos are rendered at 6144Kbps (6Mbps), which isn't offered. Already uninstalled it.

I would, however, like to try Espresso so I can see how fast I can convert videos on my Sandy Bridge CPU (even though I can't use Quick Sync).
besweeet
New User
New User

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:53 pm

There was a post on Cyberlink forum where someone posted how to modify a custom AVCHD preset and change the minimum bitrate. Did you try that?
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby besweeet » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:35 am

RJ Johnston wrote:There was a post on Cyberlink forum where someone posted how to modify a custom AVCHD preset and change the minimum bitrate. Did you try that?

Oops, I didn't even think about trying any manual modifications :). I'll redownlad the trial and check it out. I'm just disappointed to see that Sony Vegas isn't much faster on my new computer when compared to my previous one.

besweeet
New User
New User

Postby besweeet » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:15 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:There was a post on Cyberlink forum where someone posted how to modify a custom AVCHD preset and change the minimum bitrate. Did you try that?

Do you think that you could find the post for me? I've searched, but couldn't find anything.
besweeet
New User
New User

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:45 pm

This is what I think I remember seeing:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/ ... 70582.page

In order to edit a custom profile, you first have to create one.
1. On the Produce tab, click the h264/AVCHD button
2. Select the profile you want to start with.
3. Click the button with the plus sign "+" to start the custom profile.
4. Give it a meaningful name.
5. Make changes to other settings.
6. Click OK.
7. Now you have a custom profile.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Next

Return to Video Editors