They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Music Concert DVD question

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Music Concert DVD question

Postby AVITRY » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:09 pm

Hi all. There must be an easier way to do what I've been playing with. Hope you can lead me down a simpler path.

I have quite a few DVD Concert videos. I've purchased them over the years and find myself fast forwarding through songs on them until I get to the ones I really like.

My thought is to make my own compilation DVD of just the cuts off the Music Concert DVDs that I like. In other words instead of all of Elton Johns music, maybe one cut, then one from maybe the Heart concert, and so on so I can make my own menu via DVD Workshop and burn a new DVD with just the cuts I like from the various concert DVDs.

I brought one into Premiere Elements 3 (which took forever) then put a VOB on the timeline and had to split it where just the song I wanted was. Then I tried to export it as an MPEG, ( of course PE wants to reencode it) which took forever, so I scrubbed that thought.

Next I downloaded the trial version of Wobble, I renamed the VOB to MPEG and brought it into Womble. That was a much faster process since it saved as an mpeg without re-encoding. The trouble is the initial having to bring the entire DVD into PE to get to the VOB files.

I think I'm trying to reinvent the wheel here, there must be a much easier way a program can simply read the VOB right off the DVD, I can mark in and out points and save it to the hard drive as just this one song.

I'm sure someone is thinking this could be illegal, but ya know, I bought all the concert DVDs and I'm just going to use this to watch it myself. So, if anyone can help, I'd appreciate the information, but I'm not concerned with legality since I'm not sharing my own property with anyone.

thanks,
joe
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Music Concert DVD question

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:43 pm

I'm surprised you haven't run into a copy protection issue yet, Joe. But, if you do, there is a product called DVD Encrypter out there that will help you sidestep that.

Although I'm sure the music industry wouldn't be happy about what you're doing, it's probably no worse than making a mix CD, right? So, unless you plan to re-sell it, I think you're okay.

That said, I'd recommend that you work with a product that can work with these files natively. That means that the DVD files remain MPEGs the whole way through the process rather than (as with most video editors) you go from DVD to AVI to DVD again.

Sonic's MyDVD is a great and affordable example. You put your DVD footage or MPEGs in -- trimming and editing if you like -- and it should spit you out a nice mix DVD within a relatively short time. Since it edits the MPEG/VOB files natively, there's no unnecessary conversions. It's just VOBs in and VOBs out. Which also keeps your file sizes and system resource requirements low.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby AVITRY » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:28 pm

Thanks Steve, that sounds good, and yes, I agree it is much like making a music mix for your own use. Can I open the VOB directly off the DVD without first copying it to my hard drive? Also, I am trying to figure out what or more specifically where, in which VOB on the DVD the song that I like is in. Is there a fast scrubber that I can scan the VOB files right off the DVD?

As far as the copy protection issue, I back up all my DVDs with a program called DVDFAB. I sure hope it isn't illegal but they are mine, and I sure don't sell or even give any away. This is more a hobby/cataloging project to keep this old retired guy doing something at home. :)
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen/3 motherboard. Core i7 2600 and 16 gigs of ddr3. SSD Crucial boot drive, GTX750 Ti video card. Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:25 am

I would probably use VideoRedo TV Suite with H264 support: http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/showt ... hp?t=24328

You can do a File > Open DVD Title.

To speed up scrubbing you can turn off the thumbnails.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:49 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:I'm surprised you haven't run into a copy protection issue yet, Joe. But, if you do, there is a product called DVD Encrypter out there that will help you sidestep that.

I use this one:- http://www.dvd43.com/
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:53 am

Some great suggestions from Robert and John!

Yes, you will need to "rip" the video clips you want to use to your hard drive. Just as if you were editing a regular video project.

VideoRedo TV Suite sounds like a more up-t0-date and sophisticated program than my suggestion. It may well be worth checking out!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby AVITRY » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:55 pm

Thanks guys! :) Gotta have something to play with. BTW I just bought a DVD called Dion Live. Now, I know it doesn't sound like any great concert to watch, but if you're into that kind of stuff, this is him now that he's older and its just a great DVD. I got it for 12 bucks on Amazon if you search Dion Live you'll see it. Again, I know it sounds like no biggie, but wow, was this enjoyable.

P.S. Check out the consumer reviews on this DVD ... man this was so much more than I expected, but I do love that Doo Wop music. :)
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:06 pm

I got a Unlimited subscription to Rhapsody.com for about $20 and then used Audacity to record the songs and put them all on my iPod. They have tons of Doo Wop and stuff from the 50's and 60's :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby AVITRY » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:06 am

Chuck, if you like the doo wop music era, you need to see this DVD concert! Pick a time to sit back for an hour with nothing to do but enjoy. I must have 100 DVD concerts, everything from Frank Sinatra to Pink Floyd to Lynard Skynard to Cher in concert.... :) But this one is on the top of the list. Just something about how good he was after all those years I guess.
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby AVITRY » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:40 am

RJ Johnston wrote:I would probably use VideoRedo TV Suite with H264 support: http://www.videoredo.net/msgBoard/showt ... hp?t=24328

You can do a File > Open DVD Title.

To speed up scrubbing you can turn off the thumbnails.

Thanks Robert. I visited the site and I have a question. I saw this product for sale on their site, is the link you provided a free trial with timelimit? thanks!
AVITRY
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:36 am

I believe there is a 15-day trial period.

If you don't need .h264 support, then there is VideoRedo Plus and VideoRedo TV Suite without .h264: http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Video Editors