They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Vegas MSHD Platinum 10

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Vegas MSHD Platinum 10

Postby hpharley90 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:11 pm

I 'm having trouble getting a handle on how the transitions work in Vegas.

I used to apply a slide transition in Premiere Elements and just select beginning,end or center of cut.
Then open up the properties panel and stretch the video to get rid of the diagonal lines. And that was it.

Now in Vegas I drag the transition to between clips. No problem.
What do I do next? The transition doesn't work as is.When the play head gets to the transition spot the clips move a little then there is a green section and the play head continues on.
I have the transition window but I don't know what to do with it.

trans window.jpg

I didn't get any help from the help menu F1.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks
Richard

Dell XPS 8940-10th Gen i7-10700 processor (8-core,16M Cache. 2.9GHz)
48GB 3200MHz RAM Windows 10
hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Vegas MSHD Platinum 10

Postby Ken Jarstad » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:31 am

You probably didn't first create a cross-fade.

Richard, it's pretty easy once you find out. Drag the right-hand clip into the left-hand clip on the timeline to create a cross-fade. Above the junction a colored line and frame counter will appear. There is what appears to be "detent" at 30 frames/1 second but you may need to adjust your zoom level to adjust accurately. Normal cross-fade is 30 frames/1 second so I start with that. You can adjust the length later. Now, just add any transition on top of the cross-fade. Simple. That's how Vegas works for transitions.

Once you have dropped a transition on top of the cross-fade the transition properties box will be added to the interface where you can tweak it's properties. You can also adjust the duration of the transition by dragging the clip edges or the right-hand clip back and forth - the transition will not be affected except for the duration you set. Sometimes I like a particular transition but 30 frames isn't long enough so I just drag the right-hand clip another 15 to 30 frames to the left on the timeline.

I first ran into this method of dragging one clip into another with Magix Movie Edit Pro. It makes cross-fades really fast to do. I always liked it and now, with Vegas, I get to use it again. :tup:
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Vegas MSHD Platinum 10

Postby hpharley90 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:51 pm

Ken thanks. What you said makes sense to me now. :-D
The reason I say that is because when I would delete the transition I was trying to get to work I would always end up with an opacity fade out on one of the clips and I wondered how that always got there.And then I didn't know how to get rid of the fade out so I would go back in history to get back to the start.

It seems that it was trying to to create something that I should have already done. The cross-fade.

I will try your technique later.
Thanks
Richard

Dell XPS 8940-10th Gen i7-10700 processor (8-core,16M Cache. 2.9GHz)
48GB 3200MHz RAM Windows 10
hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Video Editors