They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Is anybody using Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum

Other Video editors/authors that assist in video production.

Is anybody using Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum

Postby hpharley90 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:57 pm

Is anybody using Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 or Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 Production Suite?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm not happy with the results of using Premiere Pro CS3 to edit and export footage from my Canon HV40 and am looking at these two Vegas programs.
With CS3 and the media encoder there are in my opinion too many export options between VBR and CBR and how many MB per sec or whatever it is :roll:

When I hook my camera up to TV via HDMI video is beautiful. When I go through CS3 and watch on CS3 monitor there are what I call artifacts with subjects moving or with camera movement. Also I down convert to SD and burn and watch disc the same artifacts are there.

Does Vegas have smart rendering?
Are muvipix backgrounds and such usable in Vegas?
Will Vegas do the job?
I am getting a Blue Ray burner and player and am going that route in the very near future.
Is Vegas export less confusing than CS3?
Thanks
Richard

Dell XPS 8940-10th Gen i7-10700 processor (8-core,16M Cache. 2.9GHz)
48GB 3200MHz RAM Windows 10
hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Is anybody using Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum

Postby hpharley90 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:25 pm

Also I am used to using key frames.
Does Vegas have them?

Also I did read most everything on both these software's at the Vegas site.And I'm going through description videos now.
But sometimes I don't understand.So I must ask additional questions. :-D
Thanks
Richard

hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:45 pm

I know that Robert Johnston and Ken Jarsted are using using Vegas Movie Studio Platinum. I have been using Vegas Pro for a number of years.

To your points, yes Vegas has smart rendering for HD MPEG2 and AVCHD. It also has key frames. The latest version of DVD Architect Studio that comes in the package also has Blu-ray support. Hopefully Robert and Kencan comment further on the Vegas Studio package.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby hpharley90 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:05 pm

Paul LS wrote:I know that Robert Johnston and Ken Jarsted are using using Vegas Movie Studio Platinum.

Thanks Paul. I read something of those guys using DVD Architect Studio and Ken with NERO but didn't know what they were editing with. That's good to know.
And your experienced with Pro.Good to know also. I thought about that because of the unlimited tracks. I used once CS3 13 tracks but for the price difference right now I can deal with the 10 tracks Studio offers.

Paul do you capture with Vegas?
And what camera do you capture from?
And I would assume Vegas works very well for you?
Thanks
Richard

hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:43 pm

As far as comparing Premiere CS3 to Vegas, then I can't really comment because I don't have CS3. There is something new in Vegas, when you go to export, there is a equal sign next to the rendering formats that best match your project. You can also match you project to any clip.

I put an HV-20 clip on the timeline and tried to smart render it, but it wouldn't smart render. I had to run the HV-20 clip through VideoReDo using the quickfix function and saving it as a MPEG-2 program stream. Then I could smart render that.

The blu-ray disc uses a different kind of MPEG-2 file, not the kind that comes from the HV camcorders. So you can't burn a blu-ray disc with the file you smart-rendered to .m2t without rerendering it again.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby hpharley90 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:54 pm

RJ Johnston wrote:there is a equal sign next to the rendering formats that best match your project.

I saw that some where in researching the software.

RJ Johnston wrote:I put an HV-20 clip on the timeline and tried to smart render it, but it wouldn't smart render. I had to run the HV-20 clip through VideoReDo using the quickfix function and saving it as a MPEG-2 program stream. Then I could smart render that.

Oh that is interesting. :-k

Thanks Robert.
Thanks
Richard

hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Ken Jarstad » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:25 am

I use the VMS 10 HD Platinum Suite. I think it is great! I can't afford pro software so I have no idea how it compares with CS3. VMS10 has added some pro features over VMS9 so the pro version is not so compelling to me. It now has 10 tracks, configurable Main Concept MPEG-2 codec, Studio version of DVD Architect 5 supports Blu-ray disks and BD5/9 disks.

I just completed my granddaughter's 105 minute wedding video. I used HDV timeline with HV20 files. I rendered out a Sony .w64 audio file, an .m2t HD file and a .mpg SD file from Vegas. Did the menu building in DVDAS and burned the Blu-ray disks. Then deleted the .m2t file and added in the .mpg file and burned the DVDs in the same project (under a different name of course). The disks look fabulous! I am happy :tup:

BTW, I used an inexpensive shoulder brace with the HV20 and the vertical/horizontal stability is good but the rotational stability was horrible! So I used the event pan/crop for a great deal of the footage to keep people from looking like they were going to fall over. I also had to shoot the wedding against a huge, sun-lit window wall which made everyone appear in silhouette until I tweaked brightness, contrast, gamma and so on. I lived in the keyframe editor for hours. It was somewhat tedious but very do-able. This is a very good editor and authoring package.

BTW2, I found out that VMS is an outstanding audio editor. I have started using it to convert all my old audio cassettes. Putting in CD markers is so easy. Instead of M for video markers just use the N key and all your CD players will cue to those marks. I really like that.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chris B » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:56 am

I'm using VMS 10 at the moment. Capturing from my HV30 using HVDSplit and then adding to the VMS prject just seems to "work". VMS will also "Make Movie" using the same format and quite happily smart renders out to disk. I'm not sure about DVDAS and recompressing - but I am looking to target DVDs as output compressed with H264 so there's a re-encode there anyway.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby hpharley90 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:39 pm

I am thankful for everyone's input :-D
I bought the downloaded version of HD Platinum and am getting a little familiar with it.
It came with some video tutorials that I'm watching.
Thanks
Richard

hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Video Editors